Thursday, October 15, 2020

Notes by a St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Fan

Partly because of the recent deaths of two of my baseball heroes and also because of the need for a change of pace from thinking about political issues, this blog post is about baseball. Specifically, it is about the St. Louis Cardinals, whose games I started listening to more than 70 years ago. 

Notes from the Late ’40s and Early ’50s

Growing up on a farm in the 1940s without television (or video games!), radio was the primary source of outside entertainment, and when I was ten or eleven years old I started listening to St. Louis Cardinals baseball games.

The Cardinals games were on KFEQ, AM 680, the St. Joseph radio station. When I first started listening, the games were narrated by an announcer reading printouts from a teletype machine. I can’t remember when live broadcasts began. But, regardless, I was a Cardinals fan from the late ’40s.

As I wrote back in June 2016, the first Cardinals game I attended was at Sportsman’s Park in St. Louis on June 14, 1951. Stan Musial and Red Schoendienst, my two favorite players, both got two hits—and at the end of the game were batting .376 and .340. (Here is the box score of that game.)

Although I have no memory of taking any note of him at the time, Jackie Robinson played that day—and hit a double, ending the day with a .365 batting average. Ralph Branca, who appears several times in the movie “42,” was the starting pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers that day.

Notes from the Mid-’60s and Early ’70s

After 1963, the year when both Musial and Schoendienst played their final year with the Cardinals, my favorite players were three outstanding African Americans: Bob Gibson (1935~2020), Curt Flood (1938~97), and Lou Brock (1939~2020).

I was saddened when I heard last month that Brock had passed away on September 6, and then saddened again when I learned that Gibson had died on October 2 at the age of 84.

Gibson, Flood, and Brock played together on the Cardinals teams from 1964 to 1968, and in those five years the Cards won the National League pennant three times and the World Series in 1964 and 1967. (And Schoendienst was the manager during the years of 1965~68.)

I especially remember the World Series of 1964, for that was the first time the Cardinals had been in the Series since I first became a fan in the late ’40s. (Their previous World Series had been in 1946.)

A few years later, Gibson pitched the only no-hitter of his storied career on August 14, 1971. My family and I were then back in the States for a year, and I listened to the last part of that game driving back to my parents’ house after visiting an old high school and college friend.

Even though I was only able to hear it on the radio, still it was a thrill to listen to the final innings of that memorable game.

Notes about Flood’s Lawsuit

This article was triggered by “Why this is the year baseball should correct its mistake and put Curt Flood in the Hall of Fame,” a WaPo opinion piece by two U.S. Congressmen, James Clyburn (D-S.C.) and David Trone (D-Md.).

Curt Flood (1938~97)
Flood was traded by the Cardinals to the Philadelphia Phillies in October 1969—but he refused to go. He thought he was being treated as a well-paid slave, and that became the title of a book by Brad Snyder, A Well-Paid Slave: Curt Flood’s Fight for Free Agency in Professional Sports (2006). 

In December 1969, Flood sent a scathing letter to Major League Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn. Demanding free agency, Flood wrote:

I do not feel that I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes. I believe that any system which produces that result violates my basic rights as a citizen and is inconsistent with the laws of the United States and of the several states.

In January 1970, Flood filed a $1 million lawsuit against Kuhn and Major League Baseball, alleging violation of federal antitrust laws.

Flood’s suit went all the way to the Supreme Court in 1972, but he lost in a 5-3 decision. Just three years later, though, free agency, such as Flood sought, was recognized by the courts.

Snyder describes in his book how and why Flood had a greater impact on baseball than any other player of our time.

I am happy to have been one of Flood’s many fans during his glory days with the Cardinals.

16 comments:

  1. The first comments received this morning were from local Thinking Friend Ann Henning. She wrote,

    "I too am a Cardinals fan, listening to Harry Carey broadcast on the Sedalia station. I started during the 1946 season, and asked to go to a game for my birthday present for the next two or three years. I was at the game when Jackie Robinson first played there. My sister recalls that "Country" Slaughter refused to play because Robinson was playing. I was a devout fan, and was teased about it. I still consider myself a Cardinals fan."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting early this morning, Ann--and thanks for mentioning Harry Caray, whom I probably should have mentioned in the article. Although, as I said, my first memories were listening to the games announced from reading printouts from the teletype machine, when later there were live broadcasts it was Harry Caray who announced the games, and part of the enjoyment of listening to the Cardinals was the enthusiastic play-by-play description by Caray.

      I didn't remember about Slaughter refusing to play because of Jackie Robinson, but the movie "42," which June and I watched again this summer, shows him spiking Jackie with a hostile slide into second base.

      I don't remember knowing many girls/women who were baseball fans when I was a boy--other than my Aunt Mary (1907~2000), whom I wrote about in the 2016 blog article linked to in today's post. She was still an avid baseball fan when she was your age, although she had shifted to being a Royals fan since that what was available for her to see on television.

      Delete
  2. And here are comments from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for sharing your memories about the Cardinals. It is an enjoyable read.

    I was never a Cardinals fan (in my youth, I was a Dodgers fan), but my father and I went to a Cardinals game in old Busch stadium in July 1960. The Cardinals, if I recall correctly, defeated the Cubs 6-1. The Cardinals have fielded some great players, including Stan Musial, who appeared in the Cubs game I witnessed, and Bob Gibson, whom you mention in your blog. Gibson was undoubtedly one of the greatest pitchers ever in MLB.

    "And I certainly agree with the claims of Curt Flood, although free agency has led to something of a free-for-all in bidding for the best players and higher costs for MLB."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Eric. That first Cardinals game I saw in 1951 was against the Dodgers, of course (since I mentioned seeing Jackie Robinson play). But the Cardinals lost that game 2-1 on a ninth-inning home run by Gil Hodges, whom you no doubt remember. My aunt and my friend & I were so disappointed in that loss, we changed plans for the next day in order to go to another game--and the Cardinals beat the Cubs in that game.

      Delete
  3. These comments are from local Thinking Friend Bill Stancil.

    "Thanks for your blog on the Cardinals. I grew up in the 1950s in Memphis and was also a huge Cardinal fan, listening to Harry Caray and Jack Buck on the radio. In those days, there were no teams in Texas or Florida or Atlanta, so most people from Memphis were Cardinal fans.

    "Most summers my dad and I would go to St. Louis for a week-end to see three Cardinal games--a Saturday game and a double hitter on Sunday. My favorite players were catcher Tim McCarver, who was from Memphis, Bob Gibson, and second baseman Julian Javier. You may recall that the 1964 team that won the World Series made a late run for the pennant. They went on a September winning streak while the Phillies collapsed. My dad and I happened to be at the first game of that winning streak. Until I moved to Kansas City in 1989, I remained a Cardinal fan."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Stancil, it was so good to hear from you again!

      Thanks for sharing your memories about the Cardinals. In addition to Gibson, I also remember Tim McCarver and Julian Javier well. But in addition to the three players I mentioned in the 1960s, I was especially a fan of Ken Boyer, whom I just learned this month was born in Liberty. I knew he grew up in southwest Missouri, but I hadn't known (or remembered?) that he was born in Liberty.

      After moving to Liberty in 2005, I became more and more of a Royals fan, but I didn't cease to be a Cardinals fan. I would just say the Royals were my favorite team in the American League and the Cardinals were my favorite team in the National League--and I was always conflicted when they had to play each other.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Leroy.
    I became a Cubs fan around 1963, but the Cardinals were the National League in those times! Curt Flood is one of my “bigger than baseball” heroes. Must always be said by a Cubs fan: “Why did we trade Lou Brock?”
    I knew the Cardinals better than the Cubs for those years. I did not grow up near a major league city!
    Shalom, Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding, Dick. I didn't know you were a baseball fan. I also don't know where you lived in your younger years, but there were no MLB teams in the southeast part of the U.S. until the Braves moved to Atlanta in 1968.

      Even though I lived in Missouri, I didn't grow up near a major league city either--although I was probably closer than you were. According to Google Maps it is 330 miles (and just under a five and a half hour drive) from my hometown to Busch Stadium in St. Louis. I also find it interesting that until after I graduated from high school in 1955, St. Louis was the southernmost as well as the westernmost city with an MLB team.

      Delete
  5. Here are comments from my boyhood friend Talmadge (Walter) Hass, who went with my Aunt Mary and me on the trip to St. Louis in 1951 as I tell about in the 2016 blog post linked to above.

    "Thanks for the blog. I vividly remember the trip to and from St. Louis via train from Stanberry provided by your aunt Mary. I had forgotten some of the details but your blog brought back some very fond memories. I too remember listening to Harry Caray on the radio and I never missed a game from the time he started until he, sadly, moved to Chicago after a 'run in with Gussie Bush.' Somehow Cardinal games were never the same without Harry's 'Holy Cow' booming from the radio."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Local Thinking Friend Bob Carlson shares these comments:

    "Thanks for your 'fan story.' My early baseball awareness was while I lived in PA. I grew up 'always' a Yankee fan. But after Seminary, we moved to Central Kansas and our son grew up a St Louis Cardinal fan. We went there for some fun games and enjoyed the 'city’s museums' as well as baseball.

    "Thanks for your blog!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding, Bob.

      When my aunt took me and a friend to St. Louis in 1951 to see a Cardinals game, we also visited other things in St. Louis, since it was the first time for my friend and me to be there. But since the Cardinals lost the first game we saw, we gave up taking the planned steamboat ride on the Mississippi River the next day in order to go back to Sportsman's Park to see another Cardinals game--and we were happy because the Cards won that game.

      Delete
  7. My baseball fandom started with the Royals. I have a couple of memories of the Kansas City A's, but my memories really start with the Royals. Fortunately the '70s were good memories. Regarding the Cardinals, the only year I can name that they were in the World Series was 1985, but that was a fun series (I70) and memorable.

    While I can see the logic voiced by Curt Flood and the positives of free agency, it has had a negative impact for Kansas City fans with their favorite players. There was a letter to the Star today calling for a salary cap. That sounds like it would help, but I doubt the Royals would pay the full salary amount that a negotiated cap would allow. That means the Royals would still see most of their best players leave for more money elsewhere.

    It does seem something has to be done. When a large number of teams have no intention of competing in any given year and/or trade away fan favorites in the middle of the season, fans have additional reasons along with high ticket prices for declining interest in professional baseball. This works against the players, possibly offsetting the gains from free agency and more sports channels. I have been predicting TV contracts will not be as generous, right when the Royals are negotiating their new contract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Dennis, and for pointing out the other side of the free agency issue. This is related to the whole problem of capitalism where the rich tend to get richer and the poor get poorer. I wish there were more players like Alex Gordon and perhaps Salvador Perez who are willing to stay with one team rather than going to where they can make more money.

      Delete
  8. And here are comments from Thinking Friend Ron Hornecker in Arizona:

    "You brought back memories in your recounting of your years of listening to the Cardinals on KFEQ. I too was a Cardinals fan and remember the players you identified. And, as I recall, Harry Caray was the announcer. You generally could tell whether the Cardinals were ahead or behind by the tone and sound of Caray’s voice when you tuned in.

    "Thanks for the memories."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two or three others (see above) mentioned Harry Caray (1914~98), and I probably should have mentioned him in my original article. He certainly made the game interesting for us Cardinals fans, broadcasting their games from 1945 to 1969.

      Delete
  9. Local Thinking Friend David Bluford sent the following comments, which I missed seeing until this morning:

    "Thanks much for your blog about the St. Louis Cardinals. The first major league baseball game I attended was between the Chicago Cubs and the Cardinals. It was either in 1959 or 1960, when I was still living in the Chicago area. This was at Wrigley Field and the Cardinals pitcher was Bob Gibson. I’d rate it as the fourth most exciting day of my life – with the other three being family events that I can tell you about later.

    "My father took me to the game and we had box seats just behind first base. I’ll never forget the colors – blue for the Cubs, red for the Cardinals and luscious green for the grass. I was dazzled by Wrigley Field. An experience I’ll never forget. Bob Gibson was an amazing pitcher – truly one of the great intimidating pitchers of all time."

    ReplyDelete