Tuesday, August 20, 2024

The Loss of Transcendence: On the Sadness of Shrinking One’s Worldview

The importance of expanding one’s worldview was the subject of my July 30 blog post. I’m sure most of my blog readers have done, and continue to do, that. But I’m afraid that many people, but probably only a very few of my Thinking Friends, have moved in the opposite direction—and I think that’s sad. 

In recent decades, there has been a marked increase in secularism, which usually means a denial or rejection of transcendence. 

Please note that, as I have done previously, I make an important distinction between secularization and secularism. As I wrote in a February 2020 blog post, secularism as an ideology “is confined to ‘temporal’ or ‘this-worldly’ things, with emphasis on nature, reason, and science.”

Secularism usually rejects transcendence, the affirmation of reality “beyond” that which can be analyzed by science. As I  wrote in 2/20, “When secularism is truly an ism, it is a worldview that has no room for God, by whatever name God might be understood… .”

Such a denial of transcendence necessarily involves a markedly shrinking or flattening of one’s worldview. The postmodern mindset basically embraces subjectivism and rejects the notion of there being objective realities such as God, Truth, or Good. The result is often moral relativism and narcissism. 

As eminent Canadian philosopher Charles Taylor explains, subjectivism (and/or individualism) can lead, and has led, to “a centering on the self, which both flattens and narrows our lives, makes them poorer in meaning, and less concerned with others or society.”** 

Much recent secularism in the U.S. is a reaction to the “Religious Right.” There is much in conservative evangelical belief and practice that needs to be rejected, or deconstructed, to use a term that is popular in some circles.

There is even a Wikipedia article on “faith deconstruction,” describing it as “a phenomenon within American evangelicalism in which Christians rethink their faith and jettison previously held beliefs, sometimes to the point of no longer identifying as Christians.”

There is what can be called positive deconstruction, which means questioning the faith one has grown up in and growing into the reconstruction of a more mature, viable faith. That is what I was suggesting in my July 30 blog post

But there is also negative deconstruction as noted in the Wikipedia article. That doesn’t always lead to complete secularism, as there are, indeed, some who actively seek to be spiritual but not religious. But for many, deconstruction is accompanied by a loss of transcendence.

It is sad when people jettison religious faith and accept a narrower, shallower worldview. It is sad because so much is lost. The old cliché, throwing out the baby with the bathwater, seems an apt description of what is lost. 

How very sad if in disposing of the dirty, unneeded bathwater (the out-of-date, untenable beliefs) the precious baby (the belief in God/Transcendence) is also discarded!

Many who have lost their religious faith, or never had such a faith to begin with, are not “bad” people. Many secularists are kind, loving people, showing concern for others and for the environment, working for peace and justice—at least for a while. 

Without an ongoing, sustaining sense of the Transcendent, however, people often “burn out,” become cynical and/or depressed, lose the joy of living, and seek to escape the meaningless of life by excessive emphasis on hedonistic pleasures or by over-use of drugs, including especially alcohol.

In the early years of this blog, one of my Thinking Friends was a thoughtful man who convened a discussion group mainly of atheists and agnostics. He was concerned about social issues.

This friend was a vegetarian because, he said, he realized that the grain used to fatten animals for slaughter and human consumption could and should be used to feed people in the world who didn’t have enough to eat. I quit eating beef and pork partly because of his influence. 

Several years ago, though, this friend seemingly “burnt out” and dropped out, and I ceased hearing from him. Then a mutual friend told me that he had drunk himself to death. I was greatly saddened when I heard that. 

One can’t prove anything by an anecdote, but I think my atheist friend’s story is not uncommon. It is sad, indeed, when one doesn’t have or loses a sense of Transcendence. 

_____

**The Ethics of Authenticity (1991), p. 4. Taylor (b. 1931) is best known for his massive, 874-page book, A Secular Age (2007). I regret that I have never taken the time and expended the energy to read the latter book carefully. In keeping with the subject of this article, though, I did read (although too hastily) the eighth chapter, “The Malaises of Modernity,” in which Taylor describes the “three forms which the malaise of immanence may take: (1) the sense of the fragility of meaning, the search for an over-arching significance; (2) the felt flatness of our attempts to solemnize the crucial moments of passage in our lives; and (3) the utter flatness, emptiness of the ordinary” (p. 309). 


15 comments:

  1. It is not surprising that that the first comments received this morning were from three Thinking Friends who are retired Christian ministers. The first was from local TF Rob Carr:

    "You are in good company Leroy. Thomas Merton, Thomas Keating, and the Mystics would agree.:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Local TF Don Wilson sent an email with this message:

    "Thanks so much for this morning’s blog post! As I read it the thought that I’m pondering is how utterly important it is for each of us to find an authentic, enduring source of strength that sustains us. For me the word 'relationship' has always been such an important part of this for me. Is it not through relationship that many of us experience the transcendent?

    "As fifteen years of my own ministry were in the field of clinical chaplaincy, specifically working in drug and alcohol treatment, I resonated with your sadness concerning the atheist friend who finally turned to alcohol. It reminded me of similar situations that I have witnessed.

    "Thanks again for the post!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Don. I certainly agree with your emphasis on the importance of relationships, but as I wrote in the conclusion of my blog post last November regarding Martin Buber, the I-thou relationships we have in this visible world need to be linked to the I-Thou relationship with God, the basis for all meaningful relationships.
      https://theviewfromthisseat.blogspot.com/2023/11/remembering-martin-buber-and-importance.html

      Delete
  3. TF Wade Paris in southwest Missouri wend this brief affirmative words:

    "Very good, Leroy! Thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Thanks for recent blog post. As it turns out, I had just had a long conversation with my brother . . .this morning that touched on a similar theme. [He] has been on a huge journey of reflection and growth in the last several years around deconstruction. I sent him your excellent piece.

    "He is especially appreciative of the current generation of Process Theology thinkers, and likes their current re-appellation of PT as "Open and Relational Theology." He highly recommends 'God after Deconstruction' [2024] by Tripp Fuller and Thomas Jay Oord. I've ordered this book to have a read.

    "Thanks for continuing to bring the fruits of your years and thinking to our world!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comments above were from Thinking Friend Ron Kraybill in Maryland.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comments, Ron. I, too, have been having fruitful dialogue with a local friend about process theology and am reading a new book related to process thinking and will likely mention it in a blog post next month. I was first introduced to Thomas Jay Oord a few months ago, and I would like to read the book you mentioned (which Amazon says was published earlier this year). I will be interested in hearing what you have to say about it--and perhaps you can make some reference to it in response to the blog post I will likely make next month.

      Delete
  5. This is way too much to chew on here! I have spent too much effort already on this theme. 😊

    So “in short measures”: The rejection of or placing limits on religious authority in national affairs is “secularization” in our times. Yes, it gives rise to “secularisms” (sic), some of which seem to reject anything like “transcendence” or “transcending values.” [traditionally conceived!?]

    [BIG] But, those of us who do reject or do not care for supernaturalisms need not be construed as rejecting transcendence.

    Bertolt Brecht’s *hope* that those who will born after us [we hope so 😊] will achieve relationships we have failed to realize is an example of trust/belief that transcends his/our time without requiring a supernatural input. This hope *insists* in the midst of *maybe/maybe not* as to result.

    Yay! Hebrew study time. Ps 14.1 JPS rendering: The benighted man thinks, “God does not care.” Man’s deeds [wrongdoing, Ps 53] are corrupt and loathsome, no one does good.

    How about this: The unaware says in the heart, “God (is) a zero.” They corrupt and do loathsome action [Ps 53: injustice]. Zero good they do!

    What a well-formed poetic rebuke!

    Shalom, Dick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes indeed, Leroy, much secularism in the U.S. these days appears to be a reaction to the religious right, which is often the only religion people know. And it’s because of that form of religiosity that people frequently deconstruct their faith, and then reconstruct in it in a healthier direction. Our mutual friend who dropped out of society altogether had nothing to either deconstruct of reconstruct, and nowhere to find meaning when he especially needed it. I don’t know if everyone who has taken that path ends up as miserable as he was, or would be as tempted to look to alcohol as a replacement, but I do wonder if his giving up on meaning had something to do with his giving up on people and dropping out of society—and his penchant for alcohol then turned out to be a killer.

    However, I note that the brother Ron mentions above, who is perhaps finding help toward reconstructing his faith, is finding that help from Tripp Fuller and the process theology of Thomas Jay Oord. I note that because Tripp Fuller hosts an annual “Theology Beer Camp,” which attracts lots of young people and others in the process of reconstructing. So at least for people who aren’t alcoholics, perhaps the loosening up they feel while fellowshipping and philosophizing over a beer or two isn’t a source of great harm (?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fred, for your comments. I have seen a bit about Tripp Fuller's "Theology Beer Camp," and I appreciate you mentioning it. My impression is that it is a worthwhile activity. But locally, Johan Tredoux, our mutual friend, seems to be a part of a regular (monthly?) gathering called Brew Theology KC, and I would like to know more about it--and even though I'm not interested in the brew, I would visit sometime if it were not so far from my house to their meeting place.

      Delete
  7. Here are comments received yesterday from Thinking Friend (and fellow Missourian) Greg Hadley, who has long lived and taught in Niigata, Japan:

    "I want to thank you for this last Thinking Friends posting. How I appreciate you and your thoughts!

    "I have a dear friend who was probably the closest thing I had to a son who went through the process of negative deconstruction. An atheist now and in an unhappy marriage, he has gone far in his career and is deeply unhappy in spirit. But he attends a local church who is happy to have him there and they love him. He doesn’t believe, but he does things to help them and to further social justice initiatives. There is no longer a sense of the transcendent in his life.

    "I remember our discussion once about Buddhism, and how we agreed to much of the truth it carries in its tenets about aspects of life and living. While there is also a lot there which doesn’t go far enough, and other places where it is spiritually impoverished, I remember how you noted that it is at least very much a religion that affirms the transcendent. Those words have stayed with me for years."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Greg. It is always good to hear from you. I don't recall the conversation you mentioned in your last paragraph, but I will stand by what you remember me saying. I am now reading an interesting new book (published in 4/24) and will likely be mentioning it in a blog post next month. It is "The Great Open Dance: A Progressive Christian Theology" by Jon Paul Sydnor." He refers to Buddhism as embracing nontheistic transcendence, and I think that is an accurate description.

      I am particularly interested in what Sydnor writes about nondualism, which is a common idea in some forms of Buddhism. In Japan I heard reference to it as "not-two" (funi, 不二) in Japanese. That is an important concept, I believe, and it is related to the image at the top of this blog post, God as both Transcendent and Immanent.

      Delete
  8. Transcendence - the more, the depth, wonder, mystery. I had a moment as a five year old one lovely English spring day of the wonder of spring, of earth turned, the smell of the soil, bird song, the mystery of life beginning again. When I was 22 I started a PhD on the peculiar genetics of flax plants in Aberystwyth, Wales. Today what my supervisor had found can be explained as an example of epigenetics. I grew plants, measured weight and height, did lots of statistics analysing the data, including writing my first computer programme. I found new things. I was amazed to find order in the universe first hand, not out of a book.

    In this time I was also baptised into Community of Christ after a year's questioning and searching. I had met the church in Germany and was drawn by the fellowship of other young adults and their interest in peace and justice and wanting to make the world a better place. They were very loving to me even though I was British and spoke bad German. Three months after my baptism I had a first time experience of the Holy Spirit that was so real, so surprising, so unexpected. It lasted about 14 hours and then as I sat in the college library late morning the next day the Presence gently and quietly left. It was the most real, indisputable experience in my three years of doing a PhD. There is something more! And it comes with joy and assurance and calling. I have not had such a profound experience since, just moments of Presence that have settled me, and reminded me, and kept me going in mission and helped me understand Jesus better. Sometimes people believe my story of that big experience. Sometimes they are dismissive. But I am not alone. Others have similar experiences and we rejoice when we find each other, share, and are touched again by memory, and a sense of that quiet Presence confirming again.

    I am helped by the two kinds of relationships described by Jewish philosopher Martin Buber. He wrote a wonderful book called "I-Thou". A friend advised me to read it like poetry. It was good advice. Buber talks about two kinds of relationships "I-Thou" and "I-It". The relationship with my flax plants was "I-It" as I weighed and measured and analysed. On the other hand in fellowship at the end of a week's retreat, also with someone like my mother or spouse, relationships have moments of "I-Thou." I think as a five year old, when I experienced the mystical on a lovely spring day, it was also "I-Thou" with creation. Buber suggested beyond every "Thou" is the "Eternal Thou". I think that is profoundly and wonderfully true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew, for this fine "essay" about transcendence!

      Delete
  9. Thanks, as always, for posting your thoughtful comments, Craig--and thanks for mentioning Godsey's book. I am still grateful to you for gifting me with a copy of that book shortly before you left Liberty to locate in the beautiful U.S. Northwest. I think I surely told you that even though I had read the book several years before, I read it again, with profit, not long after receiving your gift.

    ReplyDelete