Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Deep and Wide: On the Importance of Expanding One’s Worldview

Many of you remember the children’s church song “Deep and Wide,” which some say teaches kids the depth and limitless amount of God's love for us. Perhaps it does. But recently I have been thinking about those words in a much different way. Can we also have a deep and wide worldview? 

(Photo taken in Florida by Barbara Stellwagen)

Developing a deep and wide worldview is something that all of us who grew up as regular participants in Sunday School and church worship services needed, or maybe still need, to do. That is because our respective worldviews were largely shaped by what we learned there.

Few people would think that their understanding of history, science, economics, and the like that they had as children or teenagers would be sufficient for grasping the contemporary world. The need to have deeper and wider knowledge is readily acknowledged in those areas.

Why should it be different with regard to one’s worldview or theology? (Note that I am referring to theology not just as an academic study but as “faith seeking understanding.”) The search for greater comprehension of reality can and should be engaged in on several different levels.

As I have written in a previous blog post, I was greatly influenced as a third-year college student by D. Elton Trueblood’s book, Philosophy of Religion (1957), in which he emphasized that an unexamined faith is not worth having.*1 An unexamined worldview is also far less than adequate.

My philosophy of religion college course with Trueblood’s book as the text helped me greatly in beginning to develop a deeper and wider understanding of Christianity, the foundation of my worldview. That process has lasted for more than sixty-five years now. Learning and growing must never end.

Jim Wallis has emphasized the importance of going deeper. Many of you will remember that I have spoken highly of Jim in the past. In fact, he is on my “top ten” list of stimulating/challenging speakers/writers I have heard/read in my lifetime.

Wallis’s book God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It (2005) is on my top ten list of favorite 21st-century non-fiction books. It was probably there that I first saw the words, “Don’t go right, don’t go left, go deeper.”*2

Those words apply both to theology and to politics—and perhaps to many other aspects of our worldview as well. Even with a broader view of things, one can still be situated near the extreme right or the extreme left. More important is having a deeper understanding, not just a wider one.

In Jim’s newest book, The False White Gospel (2024), he tells how he became estranged from the conservative evangelical church and the theology that he had grown up in. He joined many others who were protesting the war in Vietnam, racism, and poverty.

He says that like many student activists at that time, around 1970, he was seeking answers by reading Karl Marx, Ho Chi Minh, and Che Guevara. But then he realized that he “needed something deeper.” He found that first by reading Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount.

Jim Wallis’s going deeper also led him to go wider.

In 1971 when he and his friends began publishing what became Sojourners magazine, it was mainly in protest of U.S. warfare in Vietnam. Now they say their mission is “to articulate the biblical call to social justice, inspiring hope and faith-rooted action” (from the August 2024 issue of Sojourners).

“There is a Wideness in God’s Mercy” is one of my favorite hymns. It was written by Frederick Faber (1814~63), an English clergyman.*3

1 There’s a wideness in God’s mercy / like the wideness of the sea.
There’s a kindness in God’s justice, / which is more than liberty.

3 But we make God’s love too narrow / by false limits of our own,
and we magnify its strictness / with a zeal God will not own.

4 For the love of God is broader / than the measures of the mind
and the heart of the Eternal / is most wonderfully kind.

Like Jim Wallis, many of us grew up in churches that had a theology that was too shallow and too narrow. I am grateful that Wallis has helped some of us develop a deeper theology/worldview—and also that Faber’s marvelous hymn text inspires us to embrace a wider view of God’s mercy and love.

_____

*1 I wrote about this in a June 2018 blog article, which referred to that same subject in the 16th chapter of my book Thirty True Things Everyone Needs to Know Now (2019).

*2 Even though this book was published nearly 20 years ago, Wallis still uses those words often. In The False White Gospel, his book published in April of this year, he writes, “As I always advise my students, ‘Don’t go right. Don’t go left. Go deeper’” (p. 35). He also has those words on his “God’s Politics” Substack opening page (see here; click “No thanks” at the bottom to read without subscribing).

*3 Faber was ordained in the Church of England in 1839, but he greatly admired John Henry Newman (1801~90) and followed him in converting to the Roman Catholic Church in 1845. His hymn was first published in 1854 and more verses were added later. The words above are from the Voices Together hymnal (2020), and the text is from an 1861 hymnal.

10 comments:

  1. Early this monring I received the following comments from a local Thinking Friend:

    "I am finding out how deep the Sermon on the Mount is by studying it for a year with the BibleProject. Going deep with that has been so meaningful to me so far. We are halfway through the study.

    "Development of my faith journey could be seen as starting out as a simple sketch, and then layers of color and depth are added to it through the years as the picture forms more clearly and will eventually become reality as I follow Jesus."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this reminder about Bible Project's podcasts on the Sermon on the Mount. My church's Bible study that we have late every Monday afternoon has been on the Gospel of Mark for a few months now, but we are planning to finish Mark in August and to start study of the Sermon on the Mount in September. I will recommend Bible Project's podcasts to the Bible study participants.

      For those of you who might be interested in checking out those podcasts on the Sermon on the Mount, here is the link:
      https://bibleproject.com/podcast/kicking-year-sermon-mount/

      Delete
  2. I much appreciate the words of affirmation from local Thinking Friend David Nelson:

    "Thanks for these wonderful and challenging words. My attraction to you and a small handful of other human beings has been an important part of my widening view and expanding knowledge. Without friends like you I could not examine my faith, my life, my behavior. You have helped me to not be content with my present knowledge or faith understandings. As I look back on my almost 80 years of life, I am so grateful that I am not mentally or spiritually in the same space I was at age 10, 20, 30 etc. I was not wrong then, but I certainly need to keep exploring and expanding my world view. Keep being a very important ally for me and many others."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David, for the kind, affirming words. And I must respond by thanking you for your encouragement of my intellectual and spiritual growth through your starting and conducting the Vital Conversations discussions every month for well over a decade now. I don't attend every month as I used to, but through the years I have profited much from the books and discussions of Vital Conversations and your effective leadership of that group.

      For those of you who don't know about Vital Conversations, the group meets the second Wednesday of every month from 1:00 to 2:30 at Mid-Continent Public Library's Antioch branch in Gladstone (in the Kansas City Northland). The meetings hybrid now with some participating by Zoom, and there are some who live far from Kansas City who participate.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Leroy, for your continuing work of educing our reflection. I have reduced a longer response to this response. I hope it is not too cryptic. 😊

    I think that when we ‘go deep’ in our ‘feelings of connection’ [rachamim] we also ‘go wide’ in our ‘evaluative practice’ [mishpat] and, at our best, intersect in our ‘faithful commitment’ [amunah/emeth] to a divine worldview of ‘truly connected interdependence’ [tsedeq/tsedeqah].

    The head and the gut meet at the heart! Thinking and feeling intersect at willing!

    I love Faber’s hymn! Of the many emendations of his words, I do not care for “its” in stanza 3 as a replacement for “his.” IMHO it is better to use “God’s” (as elsewhere) because “its” refers to “love” (or “God’s love”) and thus reads ‘the strictness of [God’s] love’ when I think Faber’s meaning was God does not evaluate/judge [shapat/mishpat] with harsh intent as we humans tend to do.

    I continue to live in the disappointment and hope of Bertolt Brecht’s words from “To Posterity” [“To those who come after”].

    . . . Ah, we
    We, who intended to prepare the soil for friendliness,
    Could not ourselves become friendly.

    But you, when finally it happens
    That humans are a help to each other,
    Remember us
    With kindness.
    [my translation]

    Shalom, Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as always, for your erudite comments, Dick. -- You may have mentioned him before, but I don't know anything about the German playwright/poet Brecht (1898~1956) except what I just hastily read on Wikipedia. I was interested to see that Ervin Faber (1891~1989) was chosen by Brecht to play the leads in the first three staged plays of Brecht in Munich. Could Faber, the Austrian/German actor, have been related to Faber, the English hymnwriter?

      Delete
  4. Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson, who celebrated his 93rd birthday last Saturday, sent me an email with these comments this morning:

    "A splendid and challenging reflection, Leroy. I affirm your thesis unreservedly."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reminded of the first two serious theology books I read in college, back when I still thought I was going to be an architect. The first was Ethics by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and that so impressed me I checked back in the campus bookstore and found another by him, The Cost of Discipleship. Over a hundred pages in the core of that book are on the Sermon on the Mount. I still have that book, which is how I could testify to the hundred-plus pages. I must confess that exactly what Bonhoeffer said is mostly lost in the mists of time, but I know I still own the book.

    I must also confess that it has been a long time since I last heard There's a Wideness in God's Mercy. Thank you for bringing these old memories back to me. I do wonder what those Christian Nationalists would say about what Jesus said about the poor and the peacemakers and a light on a candlestick. He is usually visualized wearing sandals and a beard, walking around like a hippy. "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Craig, and for mentioning Bonhoeffer. I didn't read his book Ethics until much later, but early in my time as a seminary student I read his "The Cost of Discipleship," and that was an important book in the widening/deepening of my Christian worldview. (And I just checked and found that Jim Wallis mentioned Bonhoeffer on four out of the twelve pages in the Introduction to his new book mentioned in this blog post.)

      Another Thinking Friend also mentioned that he hadn't heard Faber's hymn for a long time, and I wonder if the "border crisis" and other current events mitigate against even churches emphasizing the wideness of God's mercy.

      Delete
  6. This morning I saw the article linked to below. It is about "The Widening of God’s Mercy: Sexuality Within the Biblical Story," a new book by New Testament scholars regarding their new understanding of God's mercy extending to acceptance of LGBTQ people.
    https://baptistnews.com/article/analysis-what-to-expect-from-the-widening-of-gods-mercy/

    ReplyDelete