Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Remembering Alvin Toffler and “Future Shock”

When I happened to see that Alvin Toffler was born in October 1928, I thought that today, the 95th anniversary of his October 4 birthday, would be a good time to write about him and his book Future Shock

Alvin Toffler, who died in 2016, was an author, futurist, and businessman who, with his wife Heidi, wrote Future Shock, which became a worldwide best-seller. It is considered to be one of the most important and influential books about the future ever written.

Toffler was raised in Brooklyn and graduated from New York University in 1950, the same year he and Heidi Farrell married. During the last half of the 1960s, the Tofflers did research for Future Shock, first published in 1970.

According to the Tofflers' website, over 15 million copies of Future Shock have been sold worldwide. It has been translated into more than 30 languages and has never been out of print.

The second book authored by the Tofflers and issued in 1980, was titled The Third Wave. Following the agrarian revolution, and the industrial revolution, the “third wave” is the information revolution.

Powershift (1990), their third major book, deals with the increasing power of twenty-first-century military hardware and the proliferation of new technologies.

The later books continue the Tofflers’ exploration/development of ideas first introduced in Future Shock.

Alvin and Heidi Toffler coined the term future shock to describe the emotional distress that individuals and societies experience when facing rapid technological and social change.

Early in the first chapter of their book, the Tofflers referred to “culture shock,” explaining that it refers to “the effect that immersion in a strange culture has on the unprepared visitor.” They then go on to say that

culture shock is relatively mild in comparison with the much more serious malady, future shock. Future shock is the dizzying disorientation brought on by the premature arrival of the future. It may well be the most important disease of tomorrow.

In 2020, a massive book titled After Shock was published with the subtitle, “The world’s foremost futurists reflect on 50 years of Future Shock and look ahead to the next 50.” (I wish I had been able to read much more of it.)

Rather than writing more specifically about the books just mentioned, though, I will now share only some of my personal reflections about Future Shock and how I was influenced by it.

Reading Future Shock in my early 30s was instructive and formative for me. Early in 1970, I somehow heard about “future shock” and that Toffler had written about that concept in an essay published in the March issue of Playboy magazine, of all places.

As I was living in Japan at that time and there was no other way to read Toffler’s essay, I bought a copy of that Playboy magazine at the excellent English bookstore in Fukuoka, the city where I lived, and read his article with great interest.

(Memories from 50+ years ago are rather unreliable, but as far as I can remember, that was the first and probably the last time I ever bought a Playboy magazine.)

After several months I was able to get a library copy of the book, and it took a few weeks to read it as I was stretched by the challenge of teaching university classes in Japanese. I also remember taking rather extensive notes, but alas, they weren’t included in what I brought back to the U.S.

Partly because of reading Future Shock, sometime in the 1970s I joined the World Future Society (WFS), founded in 1966, and read The Futurist, their bimonthly magazine. I never was a futurist as such, but through the decades I was deeply interested in thinking about the future.

In July 1989, I flew from Japan to Washington, D.C., to attend the WFS’s annual assembly, and at one of the study group sessions I presented a paper titled “Religious Faith and World Peace in the 1990s and Beyond.”

Perhaps it is not a direct quote, but Toffler is widely credited for this aphorism: “The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”

Much has changed since 1970, and the likely future of world civilization is more shocking now than ever.

The challenge for us now is to unlearn much of what we think we know, to learn what the world actually is at present, and to see and act upon the new knowledge of what it is likely to become in the near future.

_____

** The underlying notion of future shock existed many years before the Tofflers’ book was published. In 1949, an issue of the Saturday Evening Post included the poem (not by Toffler) titled “Time of the Mad Atom,” which I remember reading, and quoting, in the mid-1950s. Here it is in its entirety:

This is the age
Of the half-read page.
And the quick hash
And the mad dash.

The bright night
With the nerves tight.
The plane hop
With the brief stop.

The lamp tan
In a short span.
The Big Shot
In a good spot.

And the brain strain
The heart pain.
And the cat naps
Till the spring snaps

—And the fun’s done!

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog.
    Your TF may be wondering how long you lingered on the centerfold of that one and only Playboy mag that you ever bought. ;-)
    I was happy to know that his wife Heidi was also involved in their research and writing.
    I wonder how much of the strife and unrest in politics and crime around the world could be traced to people's angst reflecting the wildly fast pace of our societies in the past 50-60 years..
    June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being the first to comment, June. [For those of you who may not know, June is my wife.] As I said to you personally, I originally had the following parenthetical statement in the text of my post: (And I didn't look at the centerfold; well, all right, maybe I did.) I did leave in the statement about 50+ year ago memories being unreliable, so since I don't remember looking at the centerfold, I certainly don't remember how long I lingered there! Later this morning, our son Keith wrote, "I was amused by your Playboy references. (There was a time when it was famous for its articles.)"

      It does seem that Heidi Toffler was far more involved in the research for and writing of husband Alvin's books that she was given credit for at the time. And, yes, I think you are right in suggesting that much of the strife and unrest in the world since 1970 has been due to the negative effects of future shock.

      Delete
  2. Here are comments from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky:

    "I made 'Future Shock' the focus of one of my early books, "The Integrity of the Church," basically talking about future shock and the mission of the church in a world of accelerated change. Lectures I gave about 'Future Shock and the Mission of the Church' drew a lot of attention, but I think they were, as one woman said, 'over my head.'"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing these comments, Dr. Hinson. I don't remember reading your book that you mentioned, and I was disappointed that it is not in the William Jewell College library (although it is, interestingly, in the library at Southwest Baptist University). I wish I could have heard your lecture on "Future Shock and the Mission of the Church."

      Delete
  3. And then I also received at email from June's and my college classmate (William Jewel College, class of 1959) Virginia Belk in New Mexico. Here is what she wrote:

    "I read Toffler's 'Future Shock' in 1990 while on sabbatical from teaching while working on my doctorate. I have no memory of the poem, but I do remember the premise that the USA should become a leader of the world in technology. However, it seems China took that position. Perhaps that is because Americans continue to celebrate the individual and are personally greedy. The Chinese (and many other cultures) work as a group for the betterment of the group. Dwight Eisenhower gave us Interstate highways and a description of the Military Industrial complex; I think he wanted our country to seek more peaceful passions, but, instead, we have glorified war!

    "I do not want to in any way demean our service women and men; they deserve our thanks and support for the sacrifices they made and continue to make. However, I think we are far too quick to threaten military aggression for every infringement of 'our rights' and brag about our strongest military force in the world. That may well hasten the collapse of our environment and irretrievably end TWAWKI."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Virginia. (The poem at the end was not by Toffler, as I have now added to the footnote, and I apologize if I misled you or others to assume that it was.)

      You are certainly right that Toffler saw technology as a major "engine" for change in the future. His second chapter is "The Accelerative Thrust," and one subsection of that chapter is "The Technological Engine." It is interesting, though, that there are hardly any references to China in the book; in fact, there is only one reference to 20th-century China in the index.

      Delete
  4. Frankly, I anticipated receiving more comments this morning, and I find it interesting that the four people whose comments are posted above were all in their 30s when Toffler's book was published in 1970.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking Friend John Tim Carr in California posted comments earlier yesterday morning. I have corrected some spelling errors (for the second time) and am re-posting those comments now--but I did not change the content at all.

    "Interesting ​blog​, Leroy​, about our 'Future Shock' and as a Christian I would encourage ​everyone to read the book of Rev​elation in ​the Bible. In our Bible study, that I helped teach, we just spent the past few months studying the book of Rev​elation.​ This tells us a lot about the ​future, and it will be a major 'Shock' to most everyone on our ​planet, as the predictions begin unfolding.

    "Thanks for stimulating my thinking about the 'Future Shock' to come."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, John Tim. Even though we were both boys in the same Southern Baptist church in northwest Missouri, I think our interpretations of the book of Revelation are probably quite different now. I do believe that Revelation tells about the ultimate future, but I do not believe that it contains predictions that should be interpreted literally regarding the future of humankind in the coming years/decades.

      Delete
  6. "Future shock" was a clever and well-timed, perhaps even overdue, twist on the concept of "culture shock." Of course, as a sociologist, among other things, I've used the concept many times in my teaching. It's a particularly curious experience teaching students who are the same age as my grandchildren. Just last week, after showing the video of The Byrds singing "Turn, Turn, Turn," one of my students shared that one of The Byrds was the older brother of his grandmother. Last semester, one of my students showed me her grandparents' high-school rings, which she wears, because they're so similar to the one I wear. I experienced a small relief that hers were still a couple of years older than mine. LOL It's been most curious teaching over the years, since the 1970s, and noting such things as when the co-eds quit noticing me, when my students knew very little about the Vietnam War, when students' personal references to parents turned into personal references to grandparents...

    P.S.: If you didn't look at the centerfold, there would be something wrong with you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anton, I appreciate you sharing comments about the linkage of culture shock and future shock. I, too, remember with some astonishment when children of university students I taught in Japan began to matriculate for college. And then after retirement, when I was teaching at Rockhurst, it was somewhat disconcerting the year I realized that some of my students were younger than my oldest grandchildren.

      P.S. I don't know what to say about your P.S., but I thought I had to be careful in what I said about "Playboy" so as not to sully my reputation with some people but also so as not to raise questions about my masculinity with other people (such as you)!

      Delete
    2. Hello, I read your comments with interest, and you seem to be an expert on Alvin and Heidi Toffler and Future Shock. My father now deceased was a great fan and did meet Alvin and Heidi, after travelling from England to meet Alvin and discuss with him the setting up and development of a play in England based on FUTURE Shock. I have inherited some of the paper work. My parents are no longer alive. I wondered if you know about any group or organisation that holds or collects their legacy? It's a shame for historic documents like this to be lost.

      Delete
  7. One of my reasons for this late addition is the gift of procrastination. The other is the education I receive from the various comments. Quite a few years ago at a conference held at the Center for Creative Leadership in Greensboro, NC, a speaker made a comment in so many words, "We must prepare a new generation of leaders to lead in a world that does not yet exist instead of the world in which we grew up." Perhaps if we listened to science fiction writers and the philosophies they use in the foundation of their stories more often, the shock of the future would not be so great. I read Future Shock in the '80s, and it remains one of my favorite commentaries on society.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wrote a paper for my Cultural Anthropology class about 1968 titled "Future Shock" because I had just learned about the African malady, "walking man sickness" about what happened to people who walked out of a neolithic jungle society into a mid-20th century culture. I had been talking to a Peace Corps volunteer who had been up-country for two years and found that he could buy fresh fruit from a vending machine in the airport. Toffler did much more to develop the ida, but I've always wondered if he knew my CA prof(?? McNett?) who could link any cultural trait to his experience on the faulty of Baylor University.

    ReplyDelete