Wednesday, September 15, 2021

What Does It Mean to Be Called (by God)?

This article was conceived after I read Bill Leonard’s Aug. 18 opinion piece titled “Celebrating a new generation of ministers overtaken by ‘the call’.” His article was thought-provoking, and I am sharing here some of my reflections about what it means to be called, including my own sense of call. 

Leonard’s View about Being Called

Many of you know or know of, Bill Leonard. He was born in Texas in 1946, earned his Ph.D. at Boston University in 1975, taught at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary from 1975 to 1992, and became the founding dean of the Wake Forest University School of Divinity in 1996.

During Bill’s sabbatical in 1988-89, he served as a visiting lecturer at Seinan Gakuin University in Fukuoka, Japan, where I had lived and taught since 1968. While I knew about him previously, it was a privilege to get to know him personally and to claim him as a friend ever since.

In his article, Bill says he can’t remember his first experience of “the call” from God, so his “call to ministry wasn’t some watershed moment.” But along the way, especially as a religion major in college, he concluded that some sort of “Christian vocation” was in his future.

Because of that “call,” he was ordained to “the gospel ministry” fifty years ago, and he has been faithful to that call and ordination up to the present, even though he was named Professor of Divinity Emeritus in 2018.

Protestant View of Being Called

Unlike the hierarchical difference in the Roman Catholic Church between religious and secular work, from Luther on there has been a broader, more egalitarian view of vocation (“calling”) among Protestants.

In 1978, I presented a paper titled “The Biblical Concept of the Laity” at an interdenominational missionary seminar in Japan (see here). In it, I cited the following statement from a 1977 Anglican conference in England:

Christianity is a one-caste religion: all Christians are equally called to minister to Christ in the world, and ministry must be seen as a calling for all, not a status for some.

Accordingly, my son, who is a lawyer, has spoken to his church about his sense of call to be a mediator and hearing officer. In spite of the financial impact, he has been faithful to that call for many years now.

So, a divine call can be more than to religious ministry. As Frederick Buechner wrote in Wishful Thinking (1973), 

My Experience of Being Called

In his article, Leonard cites Buechner’s “inestimable passage” from The Alphabet of Grace” (1970): “'I hear you are entering the ministry,’ the woman said . . . meaning no real harm. ‘Was it your own idea, or were you poorly advised?’”

In my case it definitely was neither, nor was it even because of any awareness of my “deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger.” It was because of an unexplainable and inexplicable “mystical” experience.

For me, though, I didn’t experience “the call” during a worship service with a high-powered preacher. My call came, indubitably, during the summer of 1952 while I was mowing hay on the farm where I grew up—and it was a “watershed moment.”

My sense of call that August day was definite enough that I soon went to my high school office and changed a couple of sophomore classes I had already signed up for. I replaced them with Speech and Typing.

But because I was so “shy,” I didn’t tell anyone about my “call” for nearly a year. So that is why I say that I was not ill-advised. And certainly, it wasn’t my own idea: to become a preacher/pastor was not something I felt capable of.

Because of his “call,” Bill Leonard continues to write and to speak publicly, even though he turned 75 this year. My son continues to follow his “call” in the legal profession. And now at age 83, I keep plugging away at what for many years now I have referred to as my 4-L Ministries (now mainly this blog).

One can retire from a job, but a “call” is for life. Thanks be to God!

18 comments:

  1. In the book I wrote (and published last year) about my life story (available at Amazon.com), I tell about my sense of call to Christian ministry—and even how a non-Christian man who attended the church I was pastor of in Japan wrote a song about that and sang it in one of our worship services (pp. 26~28). Here is the first of the three verses he wrote:

    When I was growing up on a farm in Missouri
    I would sing and pray out loud, driving the tractor
    Surrounded by the beauty of nature,
    Outdoors is a good place to feel close to God.
    Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Responses have been few so far this morning, but here are comments from three men who each has spent many decades in Christian (Baptist) service as a pastor/preacher/teacher.

    Local thinking friend Ed Chasteen was the briefest; here is his complete email message: "Amen."

    Bruce Morgan, another local Thinking Friend, wrote just a bit more: "Good article, Leroy. I concur wholeheartedly."

    And then this from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky: "Well said, Leroy! My experience of a 'call' differs from yours and Bill's, but that may be the key to a Baptist perspective. We don’t have one stereotype."

    I certainly agree that there are various ways that people experience God's call. I implied that, I think, in the article, but I appreciate Dr. Hinson stating it explicitly. It is always a problem when people think that everyone's understanding (or experience) must be the same as their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Local Thinking Friend Marilyn Peot is a Catholic Sister, who like the Baptist men mentioned above has also spent many decades in Christian ministry, sent the following comments:

    "I just spent my walk this morning reflecting on the 'call' that would mean my way of life...

    "The Spirit comes in amazing ways...and often very early in life.

    "What is so special is that 'you know that you know' and it sets its course."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn, for sharing your reflections. And I especially like, and agree with, your statement that "you know that you know." That is of utmost importance whether other people understand or not.

      Delete
  4. Leroy, my call began on my birthday, or my birthnight in this case. My maternal grandfather was a circuit riding Methodist minister. This might have influenced my mother to give me to God for ministry. Try as I might, I could never get away from that birthnight call. In 2013, at the insistence of my daughter Nancy, I wrote and published my memoir/autobiography: "Haunted by the Holy Ghost: Memoirs of a Reluctant Prophet." It is implicitly and sometimes explicitly about my continuing call. I think it's still available from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting your comments, Charles, and thanks for telling me (and other readers) about your book. I see in Chapter VI one section is "Called to Preach," and then Chapter VII is "Answering the Call." Then a section in Chapter XIV is "Getting the Call." I would like to see what you said in each of those places, and I am going to try to get your book from World Cat (an interlibrary loan service).

      Delete
  5. Great Blog Leroy and I don't Give comments often, but since I grew up in the same place in Nothwest Missouri as you and we attended the same Southern Baptist church and our parents were friends.
    I'm so glad we've stayed in contact for over 70 years Now.
    You are one of my Mentors and I Cherish our Christian Fellowship.
    Blessings to you and June,
    John Tim Carr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are comments from an email I received yesterday evening from Thinking Friend Truett Baker in California. In the early 1960s, Truett was the pastor of my home church in Grant City, Mo.

    "As I believe you pointed out, the ‘call’ can take many forms. Mine was anything but a ‘Damascus Road’ experience. You remember that my Dad and both brothers answered the "call" to the ministry. All three of us spent some time in the pastoral ministry, but later entered other fields of ministry. When I was sixteen, I lay awake several nights thinking that God may be calling me to the ministry of some kind. I don't remember it as a struggle but I was keenly aware of the fact that my Dad and brothers were in the ministry and I had heard several times of their calls.

    "Shortly after that, I remember responding to an invitation in our church and walking down the aisle to share this decision with my father. His first comment to me was, ‘Son, I always knew you would do this.’ I know I felt better after this and Dad had me preach my first sermon a few weeks later in our church. It all seemed so mechanical as if I was ‘following my destiny.’ It is hard to explain, but during my childhood and teen years I felt I was programmed and decisions were made on the basis of what others wanted or expected of me. That all changed during a course in Clinical-Pastoral Education I took when I was in seminary at Midwestern.

    "I was programmed by my parents and decisions were made on the basis of what they expected of me and could never get away from that. My life-changing experience came when my supervisor in CPE told me that my father and God were entirely different. That hit me like a bolt of lightning and I cried for twenty or thirty minutes and felt a huge weight lifted in my soul. I experienced a freedom I had never known before. Anyway, that gave me second thoughts about the ‘call’ . . . That took place before I went to Grant City, and it was at Grant City that I made the decision to enter Christian social ministry and went back to school and earned my masters in Social Work."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Truett, for sharing about your sense of God's calling through the years. I have from time to time wondered about the call to ministry by children of ministers, and I am happy that you found your true calling in spite of the fact that your initial calling was highly pleasing to your father. And although your ministry shifted to Christian social work, your pastoral ministry was certainly not valueless. My parents appreciated you and your work as a pastor in Grant City.

      Delete
  7. This morning I received these comments from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago. It was helpful to have these comments from one who is not and has not been a clergyperson.

    Thanks, Leroy, for sharing your experience in being called to the ministry (or clergy). It is a subject that has always fascinated me.

    Wicker Park Lutheran Church (WPLC) is a training congregation for seminarians from the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago. We receive each year one seminarian in his or her final year of seminary. While they serve at WPLC, they are given the title of 'vicar.' I often wonder why these individuals have chosen the clergy as a career since the job of clergyperson can be very demanding, and sometimes thankless. It can be hard on his or her spouse as well. (Many in the laity do not realize how difficult the job of being a clergyperson can be.) Some of these seminarians had started out on other career paths.

    "In talking with them, there are two common motivations, one of compassion, or helping others, and the other a sense of being called. Some were called quickly, although perhaps not as instantaneously as yourself, and others more gradually. I hope they fully realize what challenges they will face once they become full-time clergy. (I think by and large they do.) Despite the challenges, most clergy seem to love their vocation."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eric. It was helpful to have comments from a "layman"; almost all of the others who commented are or have been in full-time Christian ministry vocations.

      Delete
  8. Here are significant comments received about an hour ago from Thinking Friend Michael Olmsted in Springfield, Mo.

    "Your words brought back so many memories. It is healthy to look back at the unfolding of God’s call. As an introvert, from a staid midwestern family of varied Christian backgrounds, the call of God to ‘ministry’ was absolutely terrifying. But looking back over my formative years I discovered that God was speaking gently but firmly through various people and events until I could not deny his voice. There are many forms of ‘calling’ which I have witnessed in doctors, teachers, military personnel, etc. Each of them has impressed me with their compassionate sense of using life to bring hope, help, and direction to others.

    "But there will always be that alarming, if gentle, voice of God inviting someone to offer God’s love, grace, and blessings to a world that is mired in the tragedies and emptiness of life with no more meaning than to get through the 70+ years. I could never have imagined the joys I have found because I simply trusted God with my life."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Michael.

      I wrote that I was "shy," but I could have said, as you did, that I was "an introvert" and also from a "staid midwestern family," although there was not a varied Christian background. I never knew of any family member who had been a Christian preacher/pastor other than a first cousin 3x removed, who died in 1924. So, yes, I was rather terrified by having been called to the ministry--and so thankful for the joys I have also found because of my positive response to that call, which next year will be 70 years ago.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this blog post. I think God has a sense of humour, since there seem to be so many clergy persons who are introverts, including myself, in a vocation/profession that requires a lot of public presence. My calling, like some others, was a gradual one. I identify most with three biblical personages' calls: Moses, Elijah, and Isaiah.
    All three of them felt in some way inadequate, so did I. However as they discovered, and I discovered: "God doesn't call the qualified--He qualifies the called."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Garth. It was good to hear from you as a Lutheran minister.

      Perhaps God calls introverts such as you, Michael (above), and me because God knows that introverts are less likely to choose ministry because they wouldn't enjoy the attention as much as extroverts, who might decide on a career as a minister for that reason.

      Delete
    2. This afternoon, Garth sent these further comments by email:

      "You're welcome, Leroy. Yes, I agree, that is perhaps one reason why God calls us introverts. There are likely several others too. For example, perhaps another reason may be that we might find it easier than extroverts to maintain confidentiality of congregants when they share personal matters with us; whereas extroverts, like the apostle Peter, are tempted to say what comes to them perhaps without giving much thought to the consequences of their impulsive words."

      Delete
  10. Apparently part of my calling has been to discover how to do Leroy's blog from my phone when out of wifi range. One I did fighting glare under a towel at an Oregon beach. Now I am in Rocky Mountain NP. Which reminds me of my brother's favorite shirt, which says "The mountains are calling and l must go." Seems quite biblical.

    God called me out into the wilderness on a strange quest that was well under way before I even knew it was started. So I read all the wrong theology books, such as what philosophers thought about questions instead of what theologians gave as answers. So here I am in the wilderness again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, some of us were called to be theologians (to answer questions) AND to be philosophers (to question answers).

      Delete