Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Congratulations, Missouri!

Recently, Missouri was often in the news, but for embarrassing reasons for us Missourians: Missouri, especially the southwest part of the state, was a hotspot for new covid-19 cases. But today (8/10) is a celebratory day for all Missourians; it is the state’s bicentennial. 

Missouri History

The name Missouri came from the Native Americans, and it is usually pronounced mĭ-zo͝or′ē, although in the west/northwest part of the state, mĭ-zo͝or′ə is more common.

The land that became the state of Missouri was part of the Louisiana Purchase of 1803 and was called Louisiana Territory until 1812 when Louisiana became a state. From then until 1821, most of that area was called Missouri Territory.

Then on August 10, 1821, Missouri became the 24th state of the United States. That was following and in accordance with the Missouri Compromise of March 1820.

That Compromise was federal legislation that stopped northern attempts to forever prohibit slavery’s expansion by admitting Missouri as a slave state and Maine as a free state in exchange for legislation that prohibited slavery in the remaining Louisiana Purchase lands except for Missouri.

Missouri Fame

Missouri was the first state completely west of the Mississippi River to be admitted to the Union, and long ago St. Louis was dubbed “Gateway to the West.” In 1965, construction of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis was completed, and it is the world’s tallest arch.

Missouri was the birthplace of many who became nationally, and internationally, famous. Foremost of those is Harry S. Truman, who always had a home in Missouri. Earlier this year, historians again ranked Truman the sixth best President in U.S. history.

Other famous Missourians include (in alphabetical order), the painter Thomas Hart Benton, author Dale Carnegie, George Washington Carver, theologian Reinhold Niebuhr, and Mark Twain. Also, author Laura Ingalls Wilder lived in Missouri for over 60 years before her death in 1957.

The geographical center of the contiguous United States is actually in Kansas, about 250 miles west of the Missouri-Kansas border. But because of its diversity, Missouri seems more like the center of the nation.

Missouri is not East or West, North or South, but right in the middle, adjacent to all four geographical areas of the 48 states, so I have sometimes claimed that it is the most typical part of the U.S.

Missouri Roots

Even though my pride in Missouri has waned some in recent years, mainly because of the state’s political position, my Missouri roots run deep, and most of my life I have been justly proud of my home state.

My Grandpa George’s grandfather, Franklin Wadsworth Seat, was born in Cooper County in 1818, three years before Missouri became a state.

Not long before Franklin’s birth, his parents, Littleton and Elizabeth, migrated with two of Littleton’s brothers from Tennessee to Cooper Co.—and then in 1844 moved to what is now Worth County.

The area that became Worth Co. in 1861 was the very northwest corner of the state—and of the United States—when Missouri was admitted to the Union and remained so until the Platte Purchase was added in 1837.

I regret that the Seat family in Tennessee, and previously in Virginia, “owned” enslaved people, but as far as I have been able to ascertain, the Seats in Missouri never had “slaves” and a couple of Littleton’s nephews in Cooper Co. were Union soldiers in the Civil War.

Today, I am happy to join with fellow Missourians all over the state in celebration of Missouri’s bicentennial—and to take pride in the fact that some of my branch of the Seat family have lived in the state for all of these 200 years, and even longer.

After my death, some of my ashes will be buried not far from the grave of Franklin Seat, who, as mentioned, was born in Missouri before it became a state and who was buried in Worth County’s New Hope Cemetery in 1905.

So, as a deeply rooted Missourian, I join the chorus of those who, today and this month, exclaim, Congratulations, Missouri! 

_____ 

** For those who would like to learn more, here is the link to the Missouri Statehood Day website, which has a schedule of activities, some of which will be live-streamed.

** Many Missouri communities will be having ice cream socials today, including here in Liberty. There will be free ice cream on the square between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. (More information here.)

15 comments:

  1. Missouri is the state where I first studied my Japanese by a Mizzou student whose teacher was a puppeter of Japanese puppetry. I studied Japanese for the first time in Jefferson City from 2005-2006 before moving to Paraguay. It was a great year to experience Missouri in our stateside and hopefully, I would like to go back there, even in Colombia and St. Louis. I heard that there is a city called, "Japan, MO" and "Mexico, MO". Thanks for the article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steven, for your comments. Yes, there is a small now unincorporated village in Missouri called Japan. It was named after the Holy Martyrs of Japan Catholic Church. The church's address is now Sullivan, which was the hometown of Dr. Glenn Hinson, whose comments are posted below.

      I have never been to/through Japan, Mo., but it is about 20 miles from Cuba, Mo., which I have been through several times as it is on I-44. Mexico, Mo., is about 40 miles northeast of Columbia, and I have been through that town also.

      Delete
  2. Here are comments from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard, with whom I became acquainted in the Kansas City area before he moved to Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for reminding us of the bicentennial of Missouri's statehood. Although a Kansan by heart and an Illinoisan by residence, I too wish Missouri "Happy Birthday." Illinois celebrated its bicentennial in 2018. Kansas has 40 years to go before its bicentennial.

    "Missouri is a very scenic state with many fine attractions. My only disappointment with Missouri is its recent political direction, but Kansas is hardly any better, although Kansas may be changing politically, but it still has a long way to go.

    "So, enjoy some ice cream on the Liberty town square and hopefully you and June will be able to enjoy it before it all melts."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry Warmath, who now lives in North Carolina, is an acquaintance from when we were in seminary at the same time and I am happy to have him as a new Thinking Friend. He is from Tennessee, and in an email he wrote,

    "On occasion my cousins and I took the ferry ride from Tennessee to Caruthersville. No clue why we did that. I couldn't have been more than 12 years old."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry, although I had a schoolteacher aunt who lived/taught in Caruthersville for a couple of years, I have never been to that town in the southeast corner of the state. My hometown, Grant City, is in the northwest corner of the state, so it is about 500 miles from there to Caruthersville--and that is about 50 miles farther than to Chicago.

      Delete
  4. Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson was originally from Sullivan, Mo., and he shares this brief comment:

    "I join you in that, Leroy, although the state embarrasses me today by its politics. Could Missourians not elect more worthy U.S. Senators?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s interesting to note that both Missouri and Kansas were paired with another state in two carefully crafted political compromises involving slavery. Missouri was paired with Maine in the Missouri Compromise and Kansas was pared with Nebraska in the Kansas-Nebraska Act.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking Friend Les Hill of Kentucky wrote,

    "Glad to read the up date of the "Show Me State." Current decisions politically worry me somewhat. Likely you know of Joe Scarborough's book about Truman: 'Saving Freedom: Truman, the cold war, and the fight for Western Civilization.' It reads very well about a man who drew little attention in his life and as Roosevelt's Vice President had virtually no consultation with him in that position. Personally, I cannot help but feel significant military targets could have been chosen for the first atomic bombings over the civilian ones with the great number of casualties, I think estimated at 140,000."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Les, and for mentioning Truman and the atomic bombing of Japan. I haven't read the book you mentioned, but I have read much about the pros and cons of bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki and Truman's direct involvement in that terrible time. As you might guess, Truman is strongly and universally disliked in Japan, so I tried to not talk about Truman being a Missourian during all those years I lived in Japan.

      I mention Truman and the atomic bombs (again) in the blog post I made four years ago:
      https://theviewfromthisseat.blogspot.com/2017/05/honoring-harry.html

      Delete
  7. Bro. Leroy, I have never been to Missouri, but you gave us two of my favorite people in Harry Truman and Samuel Clemons. They gave us perspectives on America's responsibilities that are now sorely needed. Personally I would rate Truman higher than sixth. Just a side note, does any insight exist in writing that would let us hear the thoughts of Truman as he made the decision about using the atomic bombs in regards to if and where? He had to be weighing the cost of each option set before him and what the price would be for the countries involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I am sorry you have never had the opportunity to visit Missouri. St. Louis is only about 165 miles from Evansville, Indiana, where we visited your mother a few years ago--but, of course, that is in the opposition direction from North Carolina.

      There is much I could say about Pres. Truman and the atomic bombings of Japan. If you click on the Truman link at the bottom of the article, you will see the references I have made to Truman in past blog articles, most of them related to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I am especially critical of Truman's decision to bomb Nagasaki, which didn't seem at all to have been a carefully considered decision.

      Delete
  8. Years of family visits from Liberty to Mark Twain's Hannibal has taught us about the famous men along Highway 36; including General John J. Pershing from Laclede (WW I), James Cash Penney from Hamilton (J C Penney Stores), Walt Disney from Marceline (Main Street USA is modeled on Marceline); and back on the other side of the state we find Walter Cronkite from St. Joseph. Did I mention Grant City? It's just a little ways north of Highway 36!

    Not to be outdone by the squad from Highway 36, Liberty has Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., the most famous man to ever inhabit the historic Liberty Jail; and the inventor of the modern daylight bank robbery (since perfected by Wall Street), Jesse James, who is the most famous Liberty area resident to NEVER inhabit the historic Liberty Jail. Guess which one has periodic historical re-enactments! Of note, the bank building James robbed is just a block from my church, and not much farther from the historic Liberty Jail. Both buildings are open for visits, with the jail maintained by the Mormons, and the bank building by notoriety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, thanks for mentioning other famous--and infamous--Missourians. My list (other than Laura I. Wilder) was of people born in Missouri--and certainly I could have included Gen. Pershing, Walter Cronkite, and J.C. Penney (about whom I posted a blog article, as you probably remember, in September of last year). As for Walt Disney, he was born in Chicago and only lived in Missouri from 1906 to 1923.

      As a boy I thought Highway 36 was a long ways from Grant City. Hamilton, near where J.C. Penney was born, is on Highway 36, and the high school there, which bears Penney's name, was in the same athletic conference as Grant City High School--but it was 75 miles to Hamilton and that seemed like a long ride to and from when I went with the GCHS team to play basketball there.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the reminder Leroy and I am glad that I was born in Grant City, Missouri and grew up there before my parents moved to Omaha with us kids.
    I remember with Fond memories spending some of my summer out at your farm and the close ties that we have always had.
    Your Blogs are Very informative and a Wonderful service to us who enjoy your excellent choice of material.
    May our LORD richly Bless you and your family.
    Kind Regards,
    John(Tim)Carr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, John Tim. It is always a joy to hear from you and to remember our friendship that began about 75 years ago in Grant City.

      Delete