Monday, July 26, 2021

Hurting People Unintentionally

Two Thinking Friends wrote that they were “deeply disturbed” (which I took to mean “hurt”) by my June 30 blog post. Certainly, I did not intend to hurt anyone, but unfortunately, sometimes we hurt people unintentionally.  

Three Episodes

In reflecting upon hurting people unintentionally, I soon thought of the following three episodes that I remember with some chagrin.

1) Part of my July 10 blog post was about Magic Eye pictures, and I mentioned how in the 1990s I used such pictures in sermons a few times—and I remember one such time with some embarrassment.

As the guest preacher at a Japanese church, I talked at some length about magic eye pictures and had some on hand to show during the sermon and for people to look at afterward.

After the service, a woman came up to me and said that she was visually impaired (=blind), so she was not able to get much out of the sermon. I was embarrassed that I had unintentionally hurt her by not realizing that there could be someone present in the service who was unable to see.

2) This month I have read the slim and powerful book The Cry of the Poor (2010). In the first chapter, author Eduard Loring quoted all four verses of Edwin Arlington Robinson’s powerful poem “Richard Cory.”

One Sunday at Ekron [Kentucky] Baptist Church, which I served as pastor while a seminary student, I taught the teenage boys’ Sunday School class, during which I read “Richard Cory” to them.

You can read all of that poem here, but the last two lines say, “And Richard Cory, one calm summer night, / Went home and put a bullet through his head.”

Just as soon as I read that last line, I realized that I had “goofed”: not long before, the grandfather of one of the boys in the class had committed suicide by a self-inflicted gunshot. I had potentially, but certainly unintentionally, hurt the boy in my class

Even though that incident was nearly 60 years ago, I still remember it with some chagrin. It is embarrassing when we hurt people unintentionally.

3) Back in the 1990s when I was the part-time pastor of the Fukuoka International Church in Japan, one Sunday in December I was preaching about the great joy of the old couple Zechariah and Elizabeth when John, their first child, was born in spite of their old age.

In talking about the joy of John’s birth, I mentioned how happy my oldest daughter and her husband were when after several years during which it was uncertain whether they would be able to have children, Kathy gave birth to a fine baby girl. They named her Katrina Joy.

During the sermon, one young woman got up and left, seemingly upset. After the service, I found her outside, and she was still disturbed. Why? She said my talking about people being joyful at the birth of a child made her feel very sad because she was an unwanted child—and that made me sad.

Three Suggestions

1) Try to be sensitive when speaking to a group, realizing that there are many people who harbor hurts that can be exacerbated by insensitive remarks.

2) Try to speak with political correctness as much as possible, seeking to be aware of the feelings (and internalized hurts) of those who are BIPOC (the acronym that stands for Black, Indigenous, and [other] People of Color), LGBTQ, or any other discriminated-against group of people.

We don’t hear quite so much about it now, but “political correctness,” as I wrote in my 2/19/16 blog post, when used positively “describes the attempt not to use discriminatory or demeaning language about other people, especially about those who are ‘different’ from the one speaking.”

3) Don’t let fear of unintentionally hurting others curtail speaking a “prophetic” word when needed. Sometimes the attitudes, words, and actions of our friends and acquaintances, as well as our own, are injurious to groups of people such as mentioned above.

If our friends or acquaintances are offended when we advocate for the well-being of individuals in such groups, shikata ga nai.*

_____

* Shikata ga nai is an oft-used expression in Japan. It means “it can’t be helped.” 

7 comments:

  1. Here are significant comments from Thinking Friend Michael Olmsted, who is a retired Baptist pastor in Springfield, Mo.:

    “It is regrettable that words can be shadowed with unintended pain. Years ago when I did daily inspirational spots on television, I used a ‘humorous’ story about a young woman who was blind in one eye. Those brief words brought great pain to a young woman (who was blind in one eye) and her mother who sent me a note of disappointment. I immediately apologized and had the television spot removed. Once out of your mouth, words may gather unintended results. We cannot stop speaking, but words of apology and sensitivity can also offer healing.

    “Thanks for the reminder that the ‘Tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity ... set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell. No one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison’ (James 3:6-11). Speech is a wonderful gift when we consider its meaning and use it to help and heal the wounds of life.

    “I wish the current flood of spiteful and even nasty political discourse could be edited by wisdom, compassion, and understanding. The New Testament James offers a hopeful directive about proper use of the tongue in every setting.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I appreciate you citing the relevant words from James in the New Testament.

      I also appreciated your words, "Once out of your mouth, words may gather unintended results. We cannot stop speaking, but words of apology and sensitivity can also offer healing." In each of the three episodes I mentioned, I certainly tried to apologize and to speak healing words that I hope were helpful to the persons I unintentionally hurt.

      Delete
  2. Thinking Friend Truett Baker, who among other things was also a Baptist pastor in his younger years, sent the following comments from his home in Arizona:

    "Thanks for a very interesting blog about a common problem. Certainly, sensitive, compassionate individuals refrain from intentionally hurting others, but let me play the 'devil's advocate' with this situation. The truth is that there are very 'thin-skinned' folks who are easily offended.

    "Secondly, there are issues that principled people support that are controversial and obviously will offend those on the other side of the issue.

    "Thirdly, and similar to number two, there are occasions when you know a matter will offend some, but it is right to do or say what you believe to be the truth. I believe you addressed these in your suggestions and I just worded my comments differently. Thanks for the time and study you put into your 'gems of wisdom.'"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you recognized, the last part of my blog post was somewhat different from the first part. The three individuals I had hurt unintentionally were suffering from lack of eyesight, the loss of a grandfather who committed suicide, and painful feelings of being an unwanted child. There was nothing they had done wrong that I needed to point out; they all needed sympathy and understanding, which I tried to give after I realized I had unintentionally hurt them.

      But, yes, there are those who need to be "offended" because of their wrong attitudes and actions. They need to hear a prophetic word, which sometimes it is hard for us preachers to speak because of wanting to be liked by everyone. In the words attributed to many people, but perhaps from Reinhold Niebuhr, we who preach need to know how to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable"--and that's not easy to do.

      Delete
  3. Poetry is dangerous. Humor is, too. Like a sharp knife, their great strength is also their great danger. Yet, we use them, for our communications would be much the poorer without them. Sometimes there will be mistakes.

    In the poem Richard Corey there is the blunt fact of suicide, but there is also the underlying theme of mystery. Why would a person with a seemingly perfect life commit suicide? For some that question might trigger more angst than suicide itself. For others, that question might actually bring relief; some things are not just unknown, but unknowable.

    So what is the ethics of using poetry and humor? I suppose a start is to try to know the nuances of a piece before using it. Be aware of its context. Clearly see the reason for using it. And walk humbly, for mistakes do happen. Thank you, Leroy, for sharing your experiences with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking Friend J.P. Kang, who is currently an active Presbyterian clergyman, sent a link to several church signs with the following ambiguous message related to this blog post:

    WE LOVE
    HURTING PEOPLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a search link that turns up not a few church signs: https://www.google.com/search?q=we%20love%20hurting%20people%20church&tbm=isch (the frequency makes me wonder if some of these are digital fake images)

      Delete