Friday, November 20, 2020

In Memory of Leo Tolstoy

It was 110 years ago today that Count Lev Nikolayevich (Leo) Tolstoy, the famous Russian writer, died at the age of 82, a month younger than I am now—and except for the mustache, my covid-19 pandemic beard now looks much like his as seen in the following picture taken near the end of his life. 

Remembering Tolstoy as a Novelist

Leo Tolstoy was born on August 28, 1828, about 200 kilometers south of Moscow. The third son of a landowning aristocrat, he inherited an estate consisting of a huge manor house and property with nearly 500 serfs.

After spending his young manhood in profligacy, in 1851 he joined the Russian army. He was an artillery officer during the Crimean War and was a part of the forces the British light brigade charged against, as described in my Oct. 20 post.

Reacting negatively toward that war, Tolstoy left the army and after traveling around Europe for a while, he began founding schools for peasant children in Russia. During the 1850s, even while still a soldier, he began to write novellas.

In the next decade, then, Tolstoy became a full-fledged novelist. War and Peace, his first, and very long and complicated, major novel, was published in 1869. It was followed by another lengthy novel, Anna Karenina, published in 1878.

Tolstoy wrote many novellas and literary works of many kinds, but his only other major novel was Resurrection, which was not published until 1899. Yes, with just three major works, and the third not widely read, Tolstoy is still recognized as one of the best novelists the world has ever seen.

Remembering Tolstoy as a Christian

Although baptized and brought up in the Russian Orthodox Church, Tolstoy wrote that by the age of 18 he had “lost all belief in what I had been taught.” Those are words from Confession (1882), the book he wrote in his early 50s about becoming a follower of Jesus Christ.

So, for the last 30 years of his life, Tolstoy lived and wrote as a Christian believer—but not as a member of the Orthodox Church, which, in fact, excommunicated him in 1901.

Tolstoy’s writings during those years were largely of a man who sought to follow the teachings of Jesus, especially as found in the Sermon on the Mount.

Selections of Tolstoy’s Christian writings are published in a 325-page book under the title The Gospel in Tolstoy (2015), and I much enjoyed reading that book this fall.

“My Way to Faith,” the fourth chapter, is an excerpt from Confession in which Tolstoy wrote, “As long as I know God, I live.” Also, “To know God and to live come to one and the same thing. God is life.”

Chapter 20 is “What Is the Meaning of Life?” from one of Tolstoy’s most theological writings, The Kingdom of God is Within You (1894).

Remembering Tolstoy as a Teacher 

Although Tolstoy was never a teacher in a formal sense, through his writings some of the world’s best-known people, and a multitude of unknown people, have learned important lessons from him.

Tolstoy became an important teacher for Mahatma Gandhi, for Martin Luther King Jr., and for Dorothy Day. And although certainly not widely known, he was also a teacher for Nishida Tenko-san, the subject of my 2/24/13 blog post, and I encourage you to (re)read that post.

Actually, Tolstoy has had much influence in Japan and is still seen as a trustworthy teacher there. In 2018 a Japanese woman published an article titled “What Today’s Youth Can Learn From the Great Russian Writer Leo Tolstoy.” She mentions Nishida (1872~1968) in her thoughtful article.

So, even though he died 110 years ago, Tolstoy is still remembered and honored as a brilliant writer—and as one who by his life and writings taught what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

12 comments:

  1. Shortly after 7:00 this morning, David Nelson, a local Thinking Friend and good personal friend, sent the following comments:

    "Thanks for your remembrance of Leo Tolstoy. I have enjoyed in recent years reading and meditating about him. I especially enjoyed 'Dear Tolstoy, Yours Gandhi: A Novel Based on the True Correspondence.' It is a true gift to read letters between two individuals who I admire and have been teachers for me. Even more I enjoyed spending a year with Tolstoy reading 'A Calendar of Wisdom' with a reading for each day."

    "I stand on the shoulders of men like Tolstoy, finding hope in our world as we struggle with destructive capitalism and empty spiritual platitudes rather than deep commitments. Leo Tolstoy was a man who lived fully and discovered in the human drama purpose. I seek to do the same."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David, for your comments about this morning's blog post. I was happy to learn about "A Calendar of Wisdom," and I am going to suggest to June that she get that for my Christian present for us to read each day in 2021. (I was impressed by Tolstoy's statements and quotes for January 1.)

      Delete
  2. Next were helpful comments from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago. (He became a good personal friend when he lived in the Kansas City area before moving to Chicago several years ago.)

    "Thanks, Leroy, for your comments about Tolstoy, who was born on August 28 under the Julian calendar (used in Russia until 1917). He was born on September 9 under the Gregorian calendar.

    "Anna Karenina is undoubtedly one of the greatest, if not the greatest, novel ever written. It ends very sadly, but it is very well constructed and it includes an incredible attention to detail, such as Anna's clothing and personal grooming. War and Peace is also a great novel, but at places somewhat disjointed. One curious thing about War and Peace is the addendum in which Tolstoy condemned Napoleon as a monster. The French regard Napoleon as a national hero. The view of Napoleon as a monster seems more realistic.

    "Tolstoy's political and religious views were, in my opinion, a bit extreme, but I believe that he had a much better sense of what Jesus actually taught than the religious hierarchy or most laity. His skepticism toward governments certainly had some justification and I agree with his abhorrence of warfare, although I am not quite a pacifist. Vegetarianism also has its merits, although Jesus was not a vegetarian."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as always, for your informative comments, Eric.

      I perhaps should have noted Tolstoy's birth date as given by Britannica: "Leo Tolstoy, . . . (born August 28 [September 9, New Style], 1828."

      I am probably in more agreement with Tolstoy's Christian views than you are, but I also wonder about his vegetarianism. Although I knew he was a vegetarian, I don't know if he linked that directly to his Christian faith.

      Delete
  3. Vern Barnet, a personal friend here in Kansas City and one of my most erudite Thinking Friends, just emailed me with this message:

    "Wilfred Cantwell Smith opens his 'Towards a World Theology' by showing how Tolstoy's conversion was occasioned by sources ultimately reaching back to the life of the Buddha. (A very round-about historical connection to Nishida Tenko-san!) 'Tolstoy' is the title of the first act of the Sanskrit-text opera by Philip Glass, Satyagraha. (The second act is 'Rabindranath Tagore' and the third is 'Martin Luther King, Jr.') My point is just to applaud and amplify what you say concerning Tolstoy as an important figure not just for Christians, but for the world."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vern, for your instructive comments. Although years ago I read Smith's "Toward a World Theology," I did not remember his references to Tolstoy--and thanks for telling me/us about the opera by Philip Glass, which I did not know about.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you that Tolstoy's life and writings have been an inspiration to Christians.

    I enjoyed reading some of his short stories in: "The Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy," published by Bantam in 1960. I also read "War and Peace." However, I preferred his short stories, which he wrote in his later years, and often are based on biblical texts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Vern for the reference to W.C. Smith’s “Towards a World Theology” [1981, pp. 6-11].

    What I love is that Smith, in addition to tracing a story that acts as a catalyst for change in Tolstoi’s (sic) thinking and life to roots in India, points out that reading Tolstoi acted as a catalyst for change in Gandhi’s thinking and life.

    A felicitous way for Smith to introduce his awareness of the interactive and interdependent nature of religious pluralism.

    “Draw the circle wide, draw it wider still.”

    Shalom, Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting further on W.C. Smith's book and the relationship of Tolstoi/Tolstoy and Gandhi. But I wonder if that was indication of "the interactive and interdependent nature of religious pluralism" or the plurality of the interactive and interdependent nature of the universal Christ.

      Delete
  6. Somewhere back in the fog of over half a century ago (that is, late 60s), I took a college course on Russian novels. I mostly remember Dostoevsky, but with that class title I am sure I read some Tolstoy, too. I remember being struck by the courage and insight of the authors, who struggled with deep questions even as they lived in a rather absurd world.

    After class I could go back to worrying about Vietnam and the military-industrial complex; even as I now marvel at the absurd world where well over 70 million Americans voted for the re-election of Donald Trump. Help me, Jesus; the Orange Antichrist has tens of millions of born-again Christians in his thrall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just received the following comments today, along with comments about today's new blog post, but here are comments about Tolstoy from Thinking Friend Andrew Bolton in England.

    "I was very interested in your Tolstoy blog and his following in Japan. Sorry I am late with a comment. A few weeks ago I read Tolstoy’s "My Religion/What I Believe." I was very impressed and moved by his treatment of the Sermon on the Mount. In your blog it was intriguing to read about Tolstoy’s influence in Japan."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Andrew. Yes, Tolstoy's desire to live by the words of the Sermon on the Mount was strong and worth all of us Christians thinking about seriously. And, yes, it is also interesting that in Japan where there are few Christians, there are many who have been influenced by Tolstoy.

      Delete