Sunday, August 30, 2020

In Honor of Saint Newman

Through the years I knew and referred to him as Cardinal Newman, but in 2019 he was canonized by the Roman Catholic Church. I am posting this in honor of that outstanding churchman and scholar, who died 130 years ago in August 1890 and is now known as Saint Newman. 

Statue of John Henry Newman on the campus of Newman University in Wichita, Kansas

Newman Becomes a Catholic

John Henry Newman was born in February 1801 in London, and he was baptized in an Anglican church about six weeks after his birth. He converted to Evangelical Christianity in 1816, but soon began to question some of the teachings and emphases of Calvinism.

At the age of 16, John Henry partook of his first communion in the Church of England. About six and a half years later he was ordained as an Anglican deacon and then was ordained a priest in May 1825.

Perhaps my first very limited knowledge of Newman came from singing the hymn “Lead, Kindly Light,” for which he wrote the words in 1833 and which long was one of the most popular Christian hymns.

Here is the first verse of that hymn, which Newman penned on a boat as he was trying to get back to England after a period of sickness in Italy:

Lead, kindly light, amid the encircling gloom,
lead thou me on;
the night is dark, and I am far from home;
lead thou me on.
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
the distant scene; one step enough for me.

While the hymn was written specifically about getting safely back to England, Newman felt led in his spiritual pilgrimage to find his religious home in the Roman Catholic Church. In 1845 he left the Church of England and his teaching post at Oxford University and became a Catholic.

Newman Becomes a Cardinal

One of Newman’s achievements as a Catholic was in 1851 when he became the founding Rector of the Catholic University of Ireland. He gave a series of lectures there emphasizing that knowledge should be pursued “for its own sake.”

Newman described the university as a place of “universal knowledge,” in which specialized training, while valid in itself, was subordinate to the pursuit of a broader liberal education. Those lectures were published in 1852 under the title The Idea of a University—and the book is still in print.

In 1864, Newman published his spiritual autobiography under the Latin title Apologia Pro Vita Sua. It became a bestseller, and it also remains in print today. Interestingly, Margaret Atwood’s 2019 novel The Testaments, which I enjoyed reading last year, has several references to that book by Newman.

Newman authored numerous books, and as a result of his meritorious contributions by both his scholarship and spirituality, he was elevated to the position of Cardinal in 1879.  

Newman Becomes a Saint

In spite of the odds, Pope Francis officially approved Newman’s canonization in February 2019 and the actual ceremony took place this past October.

I say, “in spite of the odds,” for Newman was long embroiled in various controversies—and he even described himself as a “controversialist.” And the popular Jesuit priest James Martin tweeted that same month, “It isn't a slur to suggest that Newman may have been gay.”

Still, Ryan J. Marr, the director of the National Institute for Newman Studies, published a worth-reading 10/19 article titledFive reasons John Henry Newman is a saint for our times.”

I asked two good Catholic friends about Newman. Former priest Larry Guillot made this email response: “To me, his being named a saint has added little to his reputation or exquisite intelligence. It is a welcome acknowledgment of his spirituality and steadfastness amid controversies.”

And Sister Marilyn Peot wrote, “As for Newman, what I recall was some of his quotes—and his sincerity and humility.” She then shared these words of Newman: “Seeking Truth was the only reason for living,” and “To live is to change and to be perfect is to have changed often.

Sister Marilyn also said, “When I hear ‘Newman’ I immediately think ‘Lead, Kindly Light.’” Truly, those are words we all need to sing/pray during these turbulent times.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks to local Thinking Friend Temp Sparkman for being the first to comment on this morning's post:

    "When I sang his hymn and read his essay, I had no idea what an unusual person Cardinal Newman was. Marilyn is right about the relevance of his life and work for the chaos of today’s world. Thank you for the tribute."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here are comments from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for writing about Cardinal (now Saint) Newman, who was certainly a remarkable man. I especially appreciate his belief that knowledge should be pursued for its own sake. I have not read his works, although I have long intended to read his Apologia.

    "Newman seems to have started a tradition in which Anglicans convert to Roman Catholicism as did some others in the Oxford Movement. Two examples of conversion are T S Eliot, who was born in St Louis, and G K Chesterton, who inspired the Father Brown series on the BBC and PBS."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eric. Newman was certainly one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement, which forwarded Anglo-Catholicism. But he went on from that to become a Roman Catholic, as did Chesterton. But from what I could find, Eliot became an Anglo-Catholic, but unlike Newman and Chesterton he never became a Roman Catholic.

      Delete
  3. Local Thinking Friend Vern Barnet, who is an Episcopalian, wrote,

    "Newman made an enduring contribution to the Anglican tradition as well, even though, in the context of his turbulent times, he became a Roman Catholic, and is cherished within the Anglican communion."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Vern. I appreciate you pointing out that even though Newman left the Anglican communion, he also left a lasting legacy there.

      Delete
  4. Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky shares these brief comments:

    "A worthy appreciation of an admirable person, Leroy. He would probably have spoken in less glowing terms about himself, as he does in his 'Apologia pro Vita Sua,' but you have made a good case for remembering him today."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also appreciate these comments from local Thinking Friend, and fellow member of Rainbow Mennonite Church, Bob Carlson:

    "Thanks for the article on Cardinal Newman. Given the years we lived in Newton we had a number of contacts with the school and with the Religious Order in Wichita.

    "Several 'religious' were in our training programs, and the Chaplain at Newman was a good personal friend.

    "But I never learned the 'details' on Cardinal Newman. So thanks for the current story."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Local Thinking Friend Bill Ryan, who taught for several years at Rockhurst University, makes the following comments:

    "The 'Idea of a University' was one I thought I should read when I began teaching at Rockhurst. It helped put my role in perspective there. I didn't know that he had been canonized. I'm always learning from you. The words to the hymn seem appropriate these days, do the not!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill, for mentioning Newman's book "The Idea of a University." It has been translated into Japanese, and when I was Chancellor of the Seinan Gakuin school system in Japan I made some reference to it. But I regret that I did not read it more thoroughly and emphasize it more often since it makes a strong case for the humanities, which I firmly believe in."

      Delete
  7. In this neoliberal age, I fear "The Idea of a University" has been replaced by "The Idea of a Job Training Center." I am reminded of reading during the Great Recession that the two worst paying majors for new graduates were architecture and philosophy. This allowed me to brag that I had moved up when I changed my major from architecture to philosophy. As a graduate of Thomas Jefferson High School in Annandale, Virginia, I also lamented living in a nation with so little use for either architects or philosophers. Little did I know how bad it would be a decade later. Who needs an idea when you can have an assault rifle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned to Bill Ryan above, that was a constant problem in Japanese universities also--and perhaps it is worse both there and here in the U.S. now than it was when I retired as an administrator in 2004.

      My daughter Karen is Director of the School of International Languages, Literatures, and Cultures at Arizona University, and she is constantly struggling to protect the legitimacy of the humanities from the emphasis there, as elsewhere, on STEM.

      Delete
    2. I should have mentioned that Karen is also the head of the Department of Religious Studies and Classics at UArizona.

      Delete