Sunday, May 10, 2020

Thank God for Nurses!

The recently maligned (by DJT) World Health Organization has designated 2020 as “Year of the Nurse,” marking 200 years since the birth of Florence Nightingale (FN). This post is my third this year about an outstanding woman born in 1820, the other two being Susan B. Anthony and Fanny Crosby.  
Learning about FN
In preparation for writing this article, I read Florence Nightingale the Angel of the Crimea, first published in 1909. The author of that old book is Laura E. Richards, whose mother was Julia Ward Howe.
Julia, who is best known for writing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,’ was born less than a year before FN and died just over two months after FN died 110 years ago in August 1910—and the two women knew each other to some degree. I was unable to find out whether Laura (1850~1943) also knew Florence personally.
According to Laura, it was her father, Samuel G. Howe, who in 1843 encouraged Florence to enter nursing at a time when, except for the Catholic Sisters of Charity, nurses in England “were for the most part coarse and ignorant women, often cruel, often intemperate” (p. 35).
Laura’s book, said to be “a story for young people,” was certainly a hagiographical account of Nightingale, but I much enjoyed reading it. Nearly three-fourths of the book is about FN’s meritorious work during the Crimean War (1854~56). 
The Influence of FN
Florence felt God’s call to service of others in 1837 when she was 17 years old, and then she became a nursing student in 1844. After several years of courtship, in 1849 she declined a marriage proposal. Four years later she became the superintendent of the Institution for the Care of Sick Gentlewomen in London.
In the spring of 1854, Britain and France joined Turkey in opposition to Russia in what became known as the Crimean War. In the fall of that year, Florence went with a party of 38 nurses to work in a hospital in Scutari, Turkey, where thousands of injured soldiers were being cared for—and where a large percentage of them were dying.
When Florence and the other nurses arrived in Scutari, they were not welcomed. According to Richards, “the military authorities did not want female nurses,” because as mentioned earlier, nurses at that time were “often drunken, generally unfeeling, and always ignorant” (p. 52).
But Florence began to implement significant changes. One of the patients there when she arrived wrote, “Everything changed for the better.”
According to an essay about Florence’s legacy, because of her work in Scutari and her subsequent teaching, FN “will forever be linked with modern nursing—and rightly so.”
The same essay says that three areas of contemporary medicine were “deeply influenced by her.” Those three were hospital infection control, hospital epidemiology, and hospice medicine.
Following in the Footsteps of FN
After retiring as a teacher/administrator in Japan and moving to the Kansas City area in 2005, I had the privilege of teaching a required theology course at Rockhurst University from 2006 to 2015. My classes in sixteen of those seventeen semesters were in the evening, and a majority of my students were in the nursing program.
With few exceptions, those nursing students were serious, hard-working students, and I wonder now how they are faring as practicing nurses during the current pandemic. I am quite confident that many of my former students are a part of the dedicated core of nurses ministering to covid-19 patients across the country.
I hope they all are all right, but some might not be. According to a recent report by the National Nursing Associations (see the reference in this article), at least 90,000 healthcare workers have been infected with covid-19 and more than 260 nurses have died.
The nursing students I taught (and all dedicated nurses) are following in the footsteps of Florence Nightingale, and I write this to honor them (and all nurses) this week, which is National Nurses Week. This special week begins each year on May 6 and ends on May 12, FN’s birthday.
Thank God for Florence Nightingale, and thank God for nurses!

11 comments:

  1. I much appreciate Thinking Friend Jamea Crum of Springfield, Mo., for being the first to respond to this blog post by sending the following comments and the Nightingale Pledge:

    "Thank you for reminding me of one of my childhood heroes. Reading about her helped influence my decision to become a nurse. You have probably read this before, but here is a copy of The Nightingale Pledge. My nursing class of '73 said this pledge at the end of our graduation."

    Nightingale Pledge

    I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping, and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jamea, for your comments and for sharing the Nightingale Pledge. I was pleased to be able to post here both your comments and the Pledge early yesterday morning.

      Delete
  2. Here are comments, which I also appreciate, from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for a very touching tribute to Florence Nightingale, nurses, and the nursing profession.

    "Modern-day nurses have always been heroes, but now especially during the Covid-19 outbreak. They are truly the front-line warriors in battle against disease as they spend more time with patients than anyone else in the medical profession. Because of their dedication, some of them have given their lives for others during the current pandemic.

    "Florence Nightingale brought professionalism and compassion to the nursing profession and we are eternally grateful for her legacy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eric. I fully agree with what you wrote, and your concluding sentence sums up the point of my article well.

      Delete
  3. Next I received these comments from Thinking Friend Andrew Bolton in England:

    "Thanks for your blog on Florence Nightingale as a pioneer of nursing.

    "It is sad that President Trump has attacked the WHO and withdrawn US funds. Do you want to tackle this issue? WHO gets a good press in the critical newspaper that I read – The Guardian."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Andrew. It was good to hear from you again, and I appreciate your sharing how things look from outside the U.S. I think it is deplorable the way DJT has criticized WHO, but I probably will not write more about that at this point.

      Delete
  4. And just now I received the following brief comment from local Thinking Friend Bruce Morgan:

    "As the father of a hard working and dedicated nurse, I appreciated your post today. Thanks."

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the spring of 2014, we spent a semester in London where I taught, "Biology in Great Britain." We toured the small Florence Nightingale Museum in St. Thomas' Hospital in the heart of London and I had the students read the "Florence Nightingale" chapter in "Eminent Victorians" by Lytton Strachey. She was truly is a remarkable and strong woman with a deep compassion for others, as well as a keen analytical mind. (For fun, we also watched the Hollywoodized version of her story starring Jaclyn Smith and compared that version to fact. The movie did capture her courage, dedication, and compassion, but of course, added completely fictional romantic relationships.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Dave. I would like to read the chapter you referred to, and I also intended to watch the movie you referred to but didn't get to it.

      Delete
  6. Yesterday afternoon local Thinking Friend Temp Sparkman sent the following brief comments:

    "Thank you for a generous and helpful article. What a debt we owe our nurses, always the first to see us when we visit a doctor or hospital."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Leroy, for teaching nurses. Thanks to FN for her example. And thanks to God for nurses. I had four sisters; three of them were nurses and the fourth was in Medical Technology. One of my two daughters is a retired nurse. So I appreciate nurses, and I cannot but marvel at the courage and dedication of Drs., nurses, and other medical personnel in this present scourge.

    ReplyDelete