Friday, March 20, 2020

Remembering Fanny Crosby, Queen of Gospel Song Writers

All of you old-timers like me who grew up in Baptist, Methodist, or other “evangelical” churches know the name Fanny Crosby, the blind woman who wrote more gospel songs/hymns than anyone else in history. She was born 200 years ago, just about five weeks after Susan B. Anthony whom I wrote about last month.
Fanny’s Blindness
Frances Jane Crosby was born about 75 miles north of New York City on March 24, 1820. Throughout her long life—and she died shortly before her 95th birthday in 1915—she went by the name Fanny.
When just a few weeks old, Fanny had an eye infection that an incompetent doctor mistreated. Consequently, Fanny became blind for life. A few months later, her father died and her mother, widowed at 21, had to go to work as a maid.
Grandmother Eunice Crosby then took care of Fanny—and she taught the precocious little girl that she could learn and excel in life despite being blind. When Fanny was only eight or nine years old, she wrote the words that appear under her picture on the right.
Just before her 14th birthday, she enrolled as a student in the New York Institution for the Blind (NYIB, now the New York Institute for Special Education).
Fanny was a student at NYIB for eight years and then taught there for fifteen years, leaving in 1858, the year she married Alexander Van Alstyne, who was also blind—and who had also been a student and then a teacher in the same school.
While a teacher at NYIB, Fanny had the opportunity to recite some of her poems before the U.S. Senate and later before a joint session of Congress—the first woman to do either. She also became a friend of President James Polk, who visited NYIB, and with Fanny, at least twice during his presidency, the last time being in 1848.
In 1849 the cholera epidemic in the U.S. worsened, and Fanny nursed children in the school. After she showed symptoms, she was asked to leave the NYIB until autumn. She survived, but President Polk, whose term ended in March, died of cholera in June of that year at the age of 53.
(Let’s pray that the epidemic of 2020 doesn’t turn out to be as bad as the epidemic of 1848-49.)
Fanny’s Service
Although she had written poetry for thirty years by the time of her marriage, it was only a few years later that she began to write hymns—and write she did! She is said to have written more than 9,000 gospel songs/hymns!
Many of her hymns were regularly used in the highly popular evangelistic campaigns of Dwight L. Moody and Ira Sankey. But hymn-writing was not what Fanny considered her main mission in life.
According to this website, Fanny “wanted most to be remembered as a home missions worker to the poor.” She served in various New York City rescue missions from the early 1860s to the first decade of the 1900s.
Chapter 18 of her book Fanny Crosby's Memories of Eighty Years is titled “Work Among Missions,” and she writes of how her work at the well-known Bowery Mission began in 1881.
(“Serving Kings: The Bowery Mission in Manhattan at 140 Years” is an article in the Winter 2020 Plough Quarterly, and it quotes words that Fanny often said when speaking in the Bowery Mission chapel services.)
Evangelicals, like Fanny, in the nineteenth century often combined loving service to people in physical need with sharing a Gospel message for their spiritual needs.
Fanny’s Hymns
Only a very few of Fanny’s many hymns can be mentioned here. You who know her hymns have your own favorites, I’m sure, but three of her most well-known hymns are also three of my favorites, and I sang them often from when I was a boy until we went to Japan in 1968.
Those three are “Rescue the Perishing” (1869), “Blessed Assurance” (1873), and “I Am Thine, O Lord” (1875). According to Hymnary.org those hymns are currently found in 693, 933, and 616 hymnals, respectively.
In writing this article, I have especially enjoyed reading/hearing—and being challenged by—the first two verses of the third hymn. You can read the lyrics of that gospel song at this link or hear them beautifully sung here.

15 comments:

  1. As expected, there has not been much response to this post. Here is the first comment I received this morning; it is from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky.

    "A wonderful reminder of a great soul to whom we owe much, Leroy!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also happy to receive the following comments from Thinking Friend Jamea Crum in Springfield, Mo.:

    "I thoroughly enjoyed being reminded of this great woman. I remembered hearing the story of her when I was young in VBS. After our group worship each morning, our pastor would tell us the story of an important historical person of Christianity. Most of them were about men, and I remember my attention heightening when the story of Fanny Crosby. I had forgotten that she had written so many hymns, but I love the ones you featured."

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just now I received the following comments from local Thinking Friend Ken Grenz:

    Thanks for reminding me of one with such a great legacy that has influenced my life. In our current United Methodist hymnal, your 3 mentioned all appear as do 'To God Be the Glory,' 'Near the Cross,' 'Pass Me Not,' and 'Close To Thee.' I’ll need to see my childhood songbook which likely has more. These seven I can nearly sing from memory. 😃"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are further comments from Ken Grenz that I received about an hour ago:

      "In all my free time, I checked out the UM current hymnal and see 7 Crosby hymns, my old EUB Hymnal has 12, and our Sunday night/Wednesday night songbook has 25!

      "Of the 25, at least 18 are familiar to me. I’m impressed by some of the texts’ strong visual imagery, given the young age of her blindness.

      "Again, thanks for the trip down memory lane, and patient cocooning to you."

      Delete
  4. Here are brief comments from local Thinking Friend Lonnie Buerge:

    "Thank you, Leroy. It is this kind of memory that we need today. Clearly Fanny overcame or at least moved through more than any of us know."

    ReplyDelete
  5. And then I received the following lengthy comments from Thinking Friend Dave Johnson in Alabama:

    "Thanks so much! Her texts have been a part of my faith expression for almost as long as I can remember. Here are a couple of commentaries on her hymns":

    "Blessed Assurance, Jesus Is Mine." Fanny J. Crosby's own words about writing it:

    "In the year 1873 I wrote 'Blessed Assurance.' My friend. Mrs. Joseph F. Knapp composed a melody and played it over to me two or three times on the piano. She then asked what it said. I replied:

    Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!

    O What a foretaste of glory divine!

    Heir of salvation, purchase of God,

    Born of His spirit, washed in His blood."

    "To God Be the Glory, Great Things He Has Done"

    Cliff Barrows, music director of the Billy Graham Crusade team, has provided the writer with the following information:

    "I first heard the hymn during one of our early visits to England around 1952. Then in compiling our song book for the Harringay Crusade it was suggested by Rev. Frank Colquhoun that it be included in our Greater London Crusade Song Book. This was done, and from the very outset of the meetings in Harringay, it became one of the favorites and was used almost every night during the last month of those meetings. Upon our return to the states. I began looking through some of the old hymn books and saw that it had been included several years ago in those earlier publications but had been omitted in recent hymnals. We began using it right away in our crusades here and found that people loved to sing it, as well as they did in London. I believe the first crusade we used this hymn in America upon our return was in Nashville in 1954. This was the first crusade upon our return from the meetings at Harringay.

    "It is most extraordinary that this long-forgotten American gospel song should have been imported from England and become immensely popular during the last decade. An examination of Fanny J. Crosby's text reveals an expression of objectivity not usually found in gospel hymnody. Here is a straightforward voicing of praise to God, not simply personal testimony nor the sharing of some subjective aspect of Christian experience."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Local Thinking Friend Bob Leeper shares these comments:

    "Thanks, once again Leroy, for inspiring us with a call-to-think! Those three hymns are still resonating in my ears from my little saintly grandmother; a poor uneducated hillbilly woman in the local Assembly of God church. It was a no-frills wooden building! My favorite to hear her sing was 'Showers of Blessings,' not likely written by Fanny, but equally resounding in my brain.

    "Keep up the good work of reminding of us topics unrelated to the current shelter-in-place. I have much more respect for those who spent time doing good deeds out of a sense of religious fervor."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Bob.

      "Showers of Blessings" (1883) was written by D.W. Whittle, who was 20 years younger than Fanny, but she knew him and mentioned him a couple of time in her autobiography.

      Delete
    2. A good prayer, and timely to remember.

      Delete
  7. A number of years ago my wife worked up a program on Fanny which she presented during a worship service, sitting in a rocking chair, pretending to be Fanny. I remember being impressed by how many hymns in our Baptist hymnal at the time had been written by Fanny. Like Isaac Watts before her, her talents were a gift to many!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this reminder of a much loved composer. She was my husband's favorite. My sister sang "Blessed Assurance" at his memorial service. Our pastor remarked that he was now in the "hymn-singing" part of heaven.(As well as blessed hymns, I also appreciate contemporary Christian music.) Her songs continue to stir our souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate these personal words about Fanny Crosby's hymns, but I would like to know who this unknown person is.

      Delete
  9. Yesterday I received the following comments from local Thinking Friend Temp Sparkman:

    "Surely all your friends needed this reminder of one that overcame undeserved suffering to bless every worshiper who grew with the Broadman Hymnal. I was a song leader in churches and revivals and knew the hymn numbers for most of the songs.

    "Incidentally, I learned from Prof. Johnson at Southern Seminary that her texts were ‘spiritual songs,’ because they were experiential, rather 'hymns.'"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comments, Temp.

    I also had Prof. Johnson at Southern Seminary, but I thought he distinguished between "gospel songs" and "hymns," and that is why in spite of the fact that most of the sources I consulted spoke of Fanny's "hymns," I purposely used "gospel song writer" in the title of my article. Broadly speaking, I think it is probably not incorrect to refer to all the songs sung in Christian worship services as hymns, although defined more narrowly, true hymns are songs sung in praise of God whereas gospel songs (or spiritual songs) are primarily expressions of personal Christian faith.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very inspiring! I enjoyed watching her documentary with you.

    ReplyDelete