This blog post is different from most
of the 1,130+ posts I have made over the past 17 years. It is a personal
narrative of life-changing events that began on my 28th birthday,
events that have greatly impacted me and June and our children from then until
the present. 
SS President Cleveland
August 15, 1966,
was a significant birthday party in Kansas City. In
addition to my immediate family, several extended family members and a few personal
friends gathered in Swope Park for the last birthday I would celebrate in the
U.S. until 1971. That is because our family of four (our two other children
were born later), started to Japan that day for a five-year term as
missionaries.
We flew from the old Kansas City
airport to San Francisco, where we had time for some much-needed rest and
relaxation before boarding the President Cleveland Steamship on August 18 for a
13-day voyage to Japan. It was the best vacation June and I had ever had. The
seas were calm, the meals were bountiful and delicious, and having some
carefree leisure time was wonderful.
June and I married in 1957, the month
we graduated from junior college. I was then a full-time student for the next
eight years. Throughout the year of 1965, I was under considerable pressure to
finish my doctoral dissertation. Kathy, our daughter who turned five that year,
often included these words in her prayers: “Help Daddy get his thesis done so
we can go to Japan.”
A few days after leaving San Francisco,
the steamship stopped in Hawai’i, and we had an enjoyable and somewhat tiring
day, sightseeing near and around Waikiki Beach and other places on that
beautiful island of Oahu. By evening, the four of us were so tired we decided to
turn in early. Because of going to bed so soon, we missed having an interesting
experience.
When we arose the next morning, we
found a notice that had been slipped under our cabin door the night before. It
said that a famous Italian actress would be on deck for the filming of a movie
scene that very evening. So, Sophia Loren was there on our ship that night, and
we never even knew she had been there until she was already gone!
September 1,
1966, was a thrilling day for our family. That is the day
our ship arrived in Yokohama, the harbor city not far south of Tokyo. We woke
up early that morning and went up on deck, and what a wonderful view we had!
There in the distance we saw Mt. Fuji, perhaps the most beautiful mountain in
the world. That was a good omen, as It usually is not visible from the Tokyo
area.
About a week later, we started
language school and began the long, difficult process of trying to learn the
Japanese language. In addition to learning English from birth on, I had studied
several languages up until then (in this order): Latin, Greek, French, German, Hebrew,
and even a smidgen of Danish. However, I had never studied a language in order
to converse in it.
With Japanese, though, the challenge
was not only learning to speak but also learning to read. In addition to the
two fairly simple fifty‑sound syllabaries, one must learn around 2,000 Chinese
characters (kanji) in order to read at the level of a high school
graduate. I had to learn many more than that, for I was designated to become a
college professor.
October 1968 was
a grueling month as my teaching career began then.
This was why we started on our trip to Japan more than 25 months earlier. It
ended up, though, that my “career” at Seinan Gakuin University and the larger
school complex involved many administrative jobs as well as teaching in the classroom.
I never sought any administrative
position—and I never turned one down, as refusing to take a position to which I
had been elected to or appointed for would have seemed presumptuous. Beginning in
1970, I served in six admin positions, including two four-year terms as
Chancellor and one year as Chair of the Board of Trustees. Except for the last
four years, I also continued to be classroom professor, .
If I had it all
to do over again, I would choose with no hesitation to do exactly what we did
beginning on my 28th birthday.
_____
** I am now wondering if I have
perhaps discovered when the year of my death will likely be. Since I have
always emphasized balance, perhaps leaving for Japan on my 28th
birthday and being in Japan for 38 years indicates that perhaps my passing will
be in the 28th year of our retirement from Japan, which will be in
2032. Even that might be pushing it, as I would turn 94 that year.

No comments:
Post a Comment