Saturday, June 29, 2024

Confronting Life After Doom with Resilience

Those of you who are regular readers of this blog are likely aware that I am a big “fan” of Brian McLaren. In a March 2017 blog post, I placed him on my list of “Ten Most Admired Contemporary Christians,” and he is on my list of “Top Ten” theologians and/or philosophers by whom I have been influenced.*1

Beginning with McLaren’s book A New Kind of Christian (2002), the first of a trilogy that was significant theology written as novels, I have read many of McLaren’s fifteen sole-authored books and learned much from them.

In a March 2018 blog post, I made extensive reference to his 2006 book, The Secret Message of Jesus, in which he emphasized that the Kingdom of God is more about society than about individuals.*2

That emphasis on the Kingdom of God being primarily about human society in the present world rather than the heavenly realm where individuals are transported upon death is a major reason many contemporary conservative Christians do not regard McLaren highly.

Brian (b. 1956) first wrote about the growing global ecological crisis in Everything Must Change, his 2007 book which I finished reading in June 2008. I thought it was so significant that in 2020 I placed it on the list of my favorite non-fiction 21st-century books.*3

Since I don’t include more than one book by the same author in my list of favorite books, I have replaced McLaren’s previous books in the list just mentioned with Life After Doom: Wisdom and Courage for a World Falling Apart, which was published the middle of last month.

McLaren’s Life After Doom is essential reading for all of us who know about and care about the future of life on planet Earth. On the dust jacket, environmentalist Bill McKibben says this book is as “rich and thoughtful as all of Brian McLaren's work, but with a particular urgency!” I fully agree.

Early in “Welcome to Reality,” the second chapter, McLaren succinctly sets forth the diagnosis of the predicament he examines throughout the book: “Our global civilization as currently structured is unstable and unsustainable” (p. 23).

Some scientists and eco-theologians, especially William Catton, Jr., and Michael Dowd, have made this same diagnosis.*4 But this is the first time a major Christian writer has analyzed that predicament so thoroughly and so clearly—and with a pastor’s heart.

Throughout this challenging book, McLaren explores four possible scenarios for the years ahead. In the second chapter, he calls those scenarios 1) “Collapse Avoidance,” 2) “Collapse/Rebirth,” 3) “Collapse/Survival,” and 4) “Collapse/Extinction.”

Since it is clear that he thinks only the last three are feasible, at the end of the first chapter he warned his readers that the following chapter would be “rough sledding.” Then chapters three and four are “pastoral” in nature: he helps his readers face the fearful future in ways that are not debilitating.

How can/should we live life after doom? In the fourth/last part of his book, McLaren elucidates what he calls “a path of agile engagement.” Michael Dowd’s emphasis on “post doom, no gloom” provided helpful light for these dark times. McLaren’s last chapters are even more beneficial and encouraging.

In chapter 17, Brian repeatedly stresses that despite all the ugliness, “beauty abounds.” In the next chapter, he cites and heartily agrees with the words, “It is a magnificent thing to be alive in a moment that matters so much” (p. 224).

Chapter 19 emphasizes the need to live with the dream of the kingdom of God which is “not a destination after death: it is the higher, bigger, vaster, deeper way of life here and now” (p. 236).

The following chapter is “Find Your Light and Shine It.” If we do that, even in this time of doom, we can have “an abundant life, a meaningful life, abounding with beauty … whatever the future may hold” (p. 249).

“Whatever you do, it matters.” Those words (on p. 253) are the crux of McLaren's final chapter, which closes with 15 numbered paragraphs expounding that basic assertion.

So, even if we are—or because we are(!)—living life after doom, let’s live resiliently, not giving up, giving in, or giving out. Paraphrasing Maya Angelou, let’s do the best we can until we know better—and then, let’s do better!

____

*1 I first published that list in my book subtitled The Story of My Life from Birth until My 82nd Birthday (2020).

*2 That emphasis was also the title of  #7 in my book Thirty True Things Everyone Needs to Know Now (2019).

*3 In the 2023 updated version of my life story book, I replaced McLaren’s 2007 book with Do I Stay Christian? which was published in 2022.

*4 In Appendix 1, McLaren lists what he considers the five best books dealing with “our predicament.” The first is William Catton’s Overshoot (1982)—and “The Most Important Book You’ve Never Read,” my 2/23/23 blog post, is about Catton’s book. Then McLaren gives Michael Dowd’s videos as the first of the five best video/audio resources. Many of you will remember that I have written about Dowd several times, the first being in my 1/25/22 blog post. McLaren mentions that Dowd was his friend who died while he (Brian) was writing this book.

 

8 comments:

  1. Local Thinking Friend David Nelson sent the first comments regarding today's blog post:

    "As my spiritual brother and fellow human Martin Luther once said, 'If I knew the world was going to end tomorrow, I’d plant a tree today.' It is interesting to read and learn about the future. Even more important in my heart and mind is to live a fully human life today.'"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David, for sharing this quote from Luther. I find that it is worded slightly different on some websites. For example, BrainyQuote.com renders it as, "Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." This version is more in keeping with McLaren's important emphasis, I think.

      If the whole world is going to end tomorrow, why would anyone think that planting a tree would be the thing to do? But if the world as we know it, that is, the capitalist society that dominates (and is destroying) the world, is about to "go to pieces" (=collapse, as Catton, Dowd, and McLaren, to a large extent, think), planting an apple tree could well be important for what comes next on planet Earth after most of the humans are gone.

      I think McLaren would fully agree with your closing words about living "a fully human life today," and I also agree--but perhaps he as well as I would like to hear a clear statement about what living a fuilly human life entails.

      Delete
  2. Then, a few minutes later another local Thinking Friend sent these thoughtful comments:

    "I really like Angelou’s quote and have used it even recently several times. I like to share it with students as well.

    "With that in mind, I typically try to avoid feeling the weight of doom and gloom as that can get overwhelming pretty fast. Instead, I prefer to deal with what God gives me to do for each day, knowing that he gives me the strength that I need for what he has for me to do any given day. This sounds similar to 'Find Your Light and Shine It.' If we do that, even in this time of doom, we can have 'an abundant life, a meaningful life, abounding with beauty … whatever the future may hold' (p. 249).

    "I have read several young adult post- apocalyptic books and have imagined life in such a setting. I still say that I would try to do what God would have me to do each day and would try to accomplish God‘s purposes whatever the scenario.

    "I don’t think that worry about the future is productive, and it takes energy and joy from today’s work. But as I go along, I hope to do better when I know better."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate these comments, because they emphasize an important point that perhaps I have not addressed adequately. I certainly agree that "worry about the future"--or anything else--is not productive, and carrying "the weight of doom and gloom" is a heavy load, indeed. That is why I have tried, perhaps insufficiently, to share Michael Dowd's emphasis on "post doom, no gloom" and why now I am so highly recommending Brian McLaren's book, which I think is better along these lines than what Dowd was saying.

      What this TF wrote in the second paragraph is harmonious with McLaren's point in his 20th chapter, then the next chapter (the final chapter) emphasizes that whatever we do matters (as I mention at the end of the post). That chapter helped me to realize that people do things that matter in various ways and that we can't all do the same thing--and that is all right.

      What people do can matter in negative ways, although McLaren writes only about people doing things that are helpful rather than harmful. If, indeed, we each do what God gives us to do each day, that is enough--and all that we can or should do. And for many people with full-time jobs and families (and others) to take care of, dealing with daily/weekly responsibilities is all that can/should be done. Still, there is a need for people, such as McLaren, to think about the future and deal with the likelihood of civilization's collapse sooner than most people are willing to think about.

      I have previously written about the importance of having bifocal vision. Most need to use the lens that helps them to deal with the challenges of daily activities now. Those who have the time and ability to use the lens that helps them to see the near, and maybe not so near, future need to do that. But all of us, I think, need to use both lenses--and to realize that we all don't have to, and shouldn't use both lenses to the same extent.

      BTW, I didn't mention in the blog article that McLaren cites Maya Angelou's words on p. 253, early in the 21st (and last) chapter in his book.

      Delete
  3. This morning, Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky sent me this brief email, "That does sound like the message that I need now!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago sent the following comments by email this morning also:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for the book recommendation.

    "McLaren is absolutely correct in saying that our civilization is not sustainable in its current form. We are overusing the earth's resources, which are finite, so some sort of crunch is inevitable. I also believe we are experiencing a severe spiritual crisis, thanks to a culture of toxic individualism and rampant consumerism."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response, Eric. I hope you will be able to read McLaren's book soon. I was able to check out a library copy, but it wasn't long before I realized that it was too important not to have my own copy to refer to often, so I purchased a Kindle copy and have a large number of highlighted statements.

      In the same way you said that you thought McLaren was "absolutely correct," I think that he would say the same (as I would) about your last sentence.

      Delete