Saturday, February 10, 2024

A Tribute to My Mother

My mother was born 110 years ago in February 1914. Her birthday was on Friday the 13th, right between Abraham Lincoln’s birthday, which was 105 years earlier on Feb. 12, 1809, and St. Valentine’s Day, which had been celebrated on Feb. 14 since 496 A.D.

In 2017, I posted A Tribute to My Father,” on July 25, the day before the 10th anniversary of his death. Now, just before the 110th anniversary of my mother’s birth, I am posting this tribute to her.*1    

Helen (Cousins) Seat (2005)

To tell the truth, from my boyhood until the end of their lives, I held my father in higher regard than my mother, although certainly I never had any notable conflict or disrespect for her. I am glad now to be sharing this long-overdue tribute to her.

Helen Lena Cousins was born in rural Mercer County, Missouri, the third child (and third daughter) of J. Ray and Laura Kathryn (Hamilton) Cousins. In 1925 the Cousins family moved to Worth County, Mo.

Mom and my father were married in 1935, two years after they graduated from high school in Grant City, Mo.—the same high school I graduated from 22 years later. She passed away 13 days after her 94th birthday in 2008, having lived most of her long life in Worth County.

There is so much I appreciate about my mother, beginning with my pre-school years. Neither of my parents had any formal education beyond high school, and Mom had not been a very good student as a girl. (She had to repeat one grade in elementary school, but that was partly because of illness.)

As a woman of her times, she was a traditional wife, mother, and homemaker in the best sense of the word. She was a good housekeeper, an excellent cook, a skillful seamstress, and a successful gardener. But more than anything else, she excelled in encouragement and support.

In my life story book, I wrote that Mom “seemed to know how to encourage/support very effectively my desire to learn.”*2 Thanks to her, I had learned to read and to do arithmetic so well that a week after I started elementary school, I was promoted to the second grade.

Through the decades Mom’s unwavering support and encouragement continued not only for me and my younger sister but also for her six grandchildren, whom she loved dearly.

In 1966 when June and I left with our two children for Japan as missionaries, taking with us Mom’s only grandchildren at the time, she never complained. I deeply appreciate her (and my father’s) understanding and prayer support of us during our missionary career in Japan which didn’t end until 2004.

The following words of tribute to my mother were heard by the family members and friends who gathered on March 1, 2008, for her funeral and listened to the sermon I preached on that occasion. I am glad to share just a bit of that sermon with you Thinking Friends now.*3

In it, I said that because of Mom’s quiet encouragement, my sister Ann became a medical doctor and I was able to earn the Ph.D. degree. But she was never pushy; she never tried to tell us what we ought to do. With only rare exceptions, if any, Mom always believed in us and always encouraged us.

Since Mom always took great pride in her children and their accomplishments, "we thought that nothing would have pleased her more today than for Ann to furnish the music and for me to preach the funeral sermon.”

Through the many decades of her life, Mom was a faithful Christian and church member. She “was constantly thinking of others—mainly her husband and children, but others outside the family and around the world, as well.”

Mom was also never one to complain—about her work or her health. She didn’t read a lot, but she knew by nature what Norman Vincent Peale wrote about in The Power of Positive Thinking.

At times in her later years when she was not feeling well and someone would inquire about her health, she would usually reply, “I’m getting better.”

After sharing those words in the funeral sermon, partly because the end of her long life was marred by progressive dementia, I said that “now she really is better—and in a better place, the place that Jesus had prepared for her.”

_____

*1 Ten years ago, on 2/13/14, I posted “One Hundred Years Ago,” but only a few sentences at the beginning were about my mother’s birth on 2/13/1914.

*2 About six weeks ago I published A Wonderful Life: The Story of My Life from My Birth until My 85th Birthday (1938~2023). One definite reason why I have been so bold as to refer to my life so far as a wonderful life is because of my mother.

*3 I certainly don’t expect many of you to take the time to read all or even any of that sermon, but if you are interested, here is the digital link to it. In March 1959, 49 years earlier, I also preached the sermon at my mother’s mother’s (my Grandma Cousins’) funeral when I was still a twenty-year-old college student—but already an ordained pastor. 

11 comments:

  1. Here are comments received early this morning from my daughter Kathy, who was writing from Northwest Arkansas where she went yesterday to celebrate her granddaughter Nina's second birthday:

    "This was a sweet tribute to your mother. I have many good memories of being with her. She was always so supportive of any craft project ideas I would come up with. She would often say, 'I think I have something that you could use in the basement.' And she would run down the steps and always produce the fabric or thread or whatever I needed. She taught me many practical skills and made me feel capable. She was such a hard worker – I always admired her being so willing to run up and down the steps as needed. She worked so hard in the garden, and in the strawberry patch, Grandma was very generous with the fruits of her labor. She always shared her frozen corn, strawberries, meat or whatever she had available, which was all so delicious. In the evening she was always ready for a game of Nine-point Pitch or Rook.

    "I hope I can continue her legacy of support and encouragement with the next generations."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leroy for Honoring your Dear Mother and I am so glad I had the opportunity to grow up with you in Grant City, where I to was born.
    I remember both your parents well and they let me stay with you on the farm in the summer and help you do some of the chores-Together.
    Since we are All Believers, we will be reunited in Heaven.
    Thanks again Leroy for your Wonderful Tribute to your Wonderful and Worthy Mother and you were a Good son to Great parents.
    Thankfully,
    John Tim
    John Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, John Tim. There are not very many of my Thinking Friends who knew my mother, but you are probably the one who knew her the longest. I much appreciate the kind words you wrote about her.

      Delete
  3. Bro. Leroy, thanks for sharing these wonderful and very personal thoughts. Having a mother like yours is such a blessing. Some of what you shared reminded me of my own mother whose hospitality you and Sister June shared with us upon occasion while our pastor. Kathy is a grandmother!?! I remember her as wee little girl running around the church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you again, Tom. -- I certainly had great respect for your mother. Without question, other than June, she was the female member of the church for whom I had the highest regard. I was surprised to see that your mother's birth and death years were both 11 years after my mother's.

      And yes, Kathy was born about a year and a half after we moved to Ekron, and she was still two when we left.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Leroy. You helped me to remember my mother. She was born January, 7 1896, 18 years before your mother. She raised 7 children and had twenty six granHdchildren and three step grandchildren and I don't know how many greats. I am the only survivor of her seven. She was a farmwife in the days before REA, heated water in a black kettle outside on wash days, rendered hog fat into lard at hog killing time, got her kids ready for and took them to SS and church at the country school house which did double duty as a place of worship. She passed away March 5, 1979 at 83 years of age. All her children and all but one of her grandchildren survived her. Her father was a country Methodist preacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charles, for sharing this about your mother. There sure can be a lot of differences in family situations for people who are about the same age. You are just a little older than I, but Laura Hamilton, my maternal grandmother, was born in October 1893, so she was just two years and a few months older than your mother. She married Ray Cousins when she was still 15 years old and was just 20 when my mother, her third child, was born.

      Delete
  5. Local Thinking Friend Bill Ryan sent the following comments by email:

    "I've been going through photo albums that my mom kept with pictures of my sisters and me, so have been brought back into earlier times with my upbringing. The phrase in your tribute that stands out to me is "Mom always believed in us . . . ." I had never thought about my mother's relationship with my sisters and me in this regard, but now I know it must have been a fundamental factor in her mothering. Thanks for sharing this insight."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are comments from Vern Barnet, another local Thinking Friend:

    "I often read obituaries and they are often inspiring. Thanks for commemorating your mother this way. A parent who has the gift of knowing just how to encourage is indeed to be cherished."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Local Thinking Friend David Fulk shared these warm comments:

    "Thanks for this. I think my feelings toward my parents were opposite of your in that I gave higher regard to my mom than my dad…though I cared for them both deeply.

    "The maiden name of your mother is interesting. Perhaps you know this, but I’m reminded that a former pastor of 2BC was named Cousins. Solon B. Cousins served September 1915 to January 1918. Cousins was from Georgia and then went on to teach at University of Richmond.

    "It will also be of interest to you that his middle name was Bolivar. I suspect there isn’t a family connection given the geographic separation, but it could be back there in the distance.

    "I’m also trying to find out if Solon Cousins is a relative to Kirk Cousins, quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings. I’ve gotten interested in this as his father Don is a former pastor (and founder) of Willow Creek.

    "Ah, what’s in a name?!! I’d say your mother did a fine job of raising you and know how proud of you she must have been of the life she saw you live. "

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother also died of dementia, back in 2019. My father wanted her to come home for what became her last Christmas, so we picked her up for the party. She soon was announcing she wanted to go "home." So we soon were taking her back to the nursing home. When we pulled up, she announced she did not want to go there. "This is where old people live. I want to go home!" Soon Jesus answered her prayer.

    ReplyDelete