Monday, November 6, 2023

Remembering Martin Buber and the Importance of Dialogue

My previous blog post was about a contemporary Jewish woman who is an atheist. This post is about Martin Buber. a historical Jewish man who stressed the importance of dialogue between people and of the encounter with God, the basis of his philosophical thought and writings. 

Martin Buber was born in 1878 (145 years ago) to an Orthodox Jewish couple in Vienna. From 1881~92, he was raised by his grandfather in what is now Lviv, Ukraine. In 1899, while studying philosophy in Zürich, he met Paula Winkler, who was a Catholic, and they married in 1901.

Martin and Paula, who converted to Judaism, worked as a couple in the Zionist movement. Unlike most Zionists, though, the Bubers believed that that movement should focus on fostering cooperation between Jews and Arabs in Palestine, and they envisioned a binational state where both could coexist in harmony.

Buber was a prolific author, and Ich und Du, his best-known and most influential book, was published 100 years ago (in 1923). It was first translated into English in 1937 and issued under the title I and Thou.

A central emphasis of Buber’s book is the difference between the word pairs “I-It” and “I-Thou.” His philosophy centered on the encounter, or dialogue, of people with other human beings through relationships, which ultimately rest on and point to a relationship with God, “the eternal Thou.”

In 1938, when he was 60, Buber moved to Jerusalem where he resided until he died in 1965.

“I-It” is the primary stance of modern science. As Buber states in I and Thou, “the basic word I-It” is “the word of separation.”**

In the I-It realm, the natural world and everything in it is seen as something to be observed, examined, categorized. It is completely related to in an objective manner. Other humans, too, are often seen objectively. In that way, they, like natural phenomena, are experienced but not encountered.

When the physical world is considered an It, it can be used and manipulated for one’s own benefit without compunction. That, in fact, is one of the reasons for the ever-growing ecological crisis of the present time.

Unfortunately, when people are considered as Its, they too can easily be used, manipulated, and discriminated against without qualms. That is seen most clearly in the way enemies in warfare are always seen as Its who need to be destroyed.

“I-Thou” is primarily the stance of those who emphasize relationships and seek interaction with other people and even the natural world through subjective encounter rather than objective experience. 

The I-Thou (I-You) realm is one of dialogue, where there is mutual respect between people. Both the I and the You speak clearly and listen attentively, accepting both the uniqueness and the similarity of each other.

This I-Thou relationship can be enjoyed to a degree with even the non-human world, and that has been practiced by animistic religions such as that of traditional Native American peoples and of Shinto in Japan.

In the Handbook of Contemporary Animism (2013), Graham Harvey sees the animist perspective as similar to Buber's emphasis on "I-Thou." Animists relate to the world of animals, trees, and even inanimate objects in an I-Thou manner rather than in an I-It way.

And even in the present time, some modern environmentalists are called “tree-huggers” because of their desire to embrace an I-Thou relationship with the world of nature.

The distressing problem, however, is that modern industrial civilization and a world of eight billion people cannot be sustained by a worldview that relates to nature primarily in an I-Thou manner.

According to Buber, the basis of all I-Thou relationships is God, “the eternal Thou.” Through encounter with the eternal Thou, individuals are transformed and their understanding of the world and their place in it is fundamentally altered.

Buber believed that such encounter is essential to human flourishing and meaningful existence.

In my view, Buber was correct, indeed, and that is the reason I want us all to remember him and his emphasis on the importance of encounter with God and of having dialogue with other people.

_____

** The first (1937) English translation of Buber’s Ich und Du was by Ronald Gregor Smith. This citation is from Walter Kaufmann’s 1970 translation (p. 66 of the Kindle edition). At the beginning of that edition, Kaufmann has a helpful prologue of more than 40 pages. Buber’s book alone is only about 120 pages, but it is difficult reading and most of us need to read it more than once in order to fully grasp what he is saying. 

11 comments:

  1. (I was just reading about this when your message popped up this morning!) The topic is so much needed, and Buber's dialogical thought a tool for healing. Notably, a significant influence on Buber (a reciprocal set of relationships) was the group of dialogical thinkers and speakers called the Patmos Circle in the period surrounding the Great War in Germany. All of them, but not equally, fell under some influence of the Neo-kantian professors at the University of Marburg who emphasized the importance of dialogue, chiefly Prof. Hermann Cohen, a German Jew, arguably the most significant Jewish philosopher of the twentieth-century, and a professor to Franz Rosenzweig, who was a key member of the Patmos Kreis. Another in the Great War period, Mikhail Bakhtin, emphasized that fully ethical humanity and selfhood could not exist without open dialogue with "others", and that the power of dialogue should be confirmed through ethical actions. That's Jewish teaching, and it's Jesus-teaching. Bakhtin was making Christian statements in his writings. Buber is worth reading as a theologian and biblical interpreter, too, I've found.

    Leroy, your comments on the wider limits of "Thou", even to the bits and parts of the Creation, are useful and correct--those you cite have a good point. It's not just all material "take it or leave it" stuff, but God is vitally interested in the whole creation. I do appreciate the dilemma you pointed out about our place in the modern scientific-industrial world.

    With some friends this past year, I have been learning new attitudes by looking at Celtic Christian spiritual insights, including those about the creation. As a modern person, I have found challenges in it. God is greater, so we recognize, as the "great chain of being" bears witness.

    Just another word about "Thou" (Thee, etc.) or "Du" (the familiar you): both of them denote and connote familiarity, even intimacy. If we can't treat the "Other" much as we would our own familiars--our families even--we fail to honor their essential equality with us. We fail to "see" them rightly, and we lose the opportunity to "see" within ourselves better, too. Buber intentionally used "Du" in his book rather than, for example, the formal "Sie" and its forms. We should be so familiar with ourselves, with others, and with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry, I apologize for being so slow to respond to your comments, which were the first received after I posted this article on Monday morning, but I always appreciate it when a Thinking Friend who knows more about a subject I have written about augments my blog post with information and insights such as you have done above.

      I didn't know anything about the Patmos Circle you mentioned, but what I found on the Internet about that was in articles by or about Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy, whom you have mentioned in some previous comments.

      Thanks for pointing out the difference between the German "Du" and "Sie," which I wanted to mention in the blog article but didn't in order to keep it under 700 words. The equality implied by the English word "thou" is the main reason the Quakers long used that word, as I understand it.

      Delete
  2. The Buber I know is mostly the Kaufmann Buber. 😊 Buber is too big to me. So, just a couple of responses.

    I love the pithy line on p.62 [my print version, Kaufmann, 1970]: “All actual life is encounter.” Made me think: All actual learning is exploring.

    I think one of the most important artful skills of the educator (especially ‘religious’ educators) is the ability to “distinguish, identify” [separate] ideas/concepts/persons/etc. [you know: stuff 😊] without disconnecting [separating]. Divinity not as a separation from humanity, but a dimension of the recognition that “All actual life is encounter.”!!!! [God-with-us]

    I think Kaufman was right to suggest [p.48, end of Prologue] that “Ich und Du” might be construed as a sermon on Hillel’s words: “If I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?”

    Or perhaps Goethe’s words: “When we treat persons as if they already were what they could be, we make them what they should be.”

    Thanks, Leroy, I had forgotten how important and influential in my life has been the “encounter” with Buber!

    Shalom, Dick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are comments received this afternoon from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for remembering Martin Buber. I read some of his works many years ago, when I was going through a phase reading the works of existentialist philosophers. Buber's vision for Zionism reflected the original vision of Theodore Herzl, the founder of modern Zionism. Unfortunately, the current Israeli government has almost completely ignored the original Zionist vision, and I wonder if the wounds in Palestine are too deep to heal."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eric.

      In my graduate school years, I was quite interested in religious existentialism and ended up doing my doctoral dissertation largely on S. Kierkegaard. It was at that time that I became aware of Buber and his book "I and Thou," which I remember struggling to read and understand in the summer of 1965. I don't remember knowing anything about Buber's work as a Zionist, which I learned about as I was doing research for this blog article. And, yes, I wish PM Netanyahu would adopt Buber's views of Zionism as well as his emphasis on relating to all people from the standpoint of I-You rather than I-It.

      Delete
  4. And then a little later, I received an email from local Thinking Friend Mary Redmon, which contained these comments:

    "Your blog brings back fond memories of my years at Kansas State ('62-66) where I attended the American Baptist sponsored Roger Williams Fellowship. We had a very dynamic and progressive minister and were introduced to Martin Buber, Harvey Cox, Victor Frankl, and many others. I'm wanting to reread "I and Thou." That fellowship produced a lifelong community...many of us are still in touch! We had students of many denominations attending."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary, for your comments and for mentioning the Roger Williams Fellowship. I have long been an admirer of Roger Williams, who is credited with founding the first Baptist church in the U.S. (in 1638). I posted a blog article in February 2013 titled "In Praise of Roger Williams." (See
      https://theviewfromthisseat.blogspot.com/2013/02/in-praise-of-roger-williams.html )
      But somehow I didn't know about the Roger Williams Fellowship organization, which was not a part of the Southern Baptist Convention's program, which I was long affiliated with. I am happy you found that to be a meaningful part of your years at K State.

      Your years there were the same years that I was in graduate school, and that is when I first became acquainted with Buber's thought and book. Perhaps he was especially noted during 1965-66 as he died in '65. It was during those same years ('62~'66) that I, too, read books by Harvey Cox and Victor Frankl, both of whom I have mentioned in previous blog articles.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate the mention of the Roger Williams Fellowship and of your blog post on him, Leroy. One of my foundation books, always worth reading again, is John M. Barry's "Roger Williams and the Creation of the American Soul: Church, State, and the Birth of Liberty," his story not of history, he says, but of "the emergence of ideas." I still recommend this book to my students whenever a discussion on the Baptists is in progress. And to think he started writing as a football coach! I still applaud and take as inspiration Edwin Gaustad's book "Liberty of Conscience." Would that more Americans would pick up such books and talk about them together.

      Delete
  5. I have long thought that an open single-state solution was the most elegant solution. I also long ago in college read "I and Thou" and must admit I did not see the importance then of avoiding I and It! And now I realize there is a chance that that study of Buber so long ago might be where I learned the peaceful solution. Israel was not alone in starting the fire, America was and is even now deeply implicated. We recognized Israel just minutes after it declared an independent Jewish state. We still have not demonstrated a peaceful path in dealing with our own native population. We still threaten and demean even the meager reservations we have allowed to our native Americans. Look at the pipeline fight at Standing Rock Reservation, and see the model Israel follows. Jews and Palestinians seem unable to resolve their problems, especially with so few actually trying to do it. Is it too much to prayer for the Second Coming of . . . Jimmy Carter? We all have lost our way. As we hear in the musical Hamilton, even George Washington wanted to sit under his own vine and fig tree. Peace is so easy, and so hard. Perhaps it is time for the spiritual Second Coming of Martin Buber.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today, Thinking Friend Patrick Crews in Arizona posted the following comments on Facebook after I linked to this blog article there:

    "This rates for me as one of the most inspirational books I ever read. I resonated to it immediately. Second to this was Soren Kierkegaard's 'Works of Love.' Both articulate Grace better than the New Testament Scriptures.

    "The book conveys, not a theology, or any foundation for a religious creed, but simply Grace, and Being, both personally and transpersonally.

    "One doesn't have to be a theist to appreciate the depth of Buber's 'I And Thou.'"




    One doesn't have to be a theist to appreciate the depth of Buber's I And Thou.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then, this pertinent comment from a local Thinking Friend:

    "Don’t remember a time when Buber’s 'I and Thou' could be as relevant as in our current chaotic social discourse."

    ReplyDelete