Monday, April 10, 2023

Guidelines for Activists

According to the helpful Wikipedia article, activismconsists of efforts to promote, impede, direct or intervene in social, political, economic or environmental reform with the desire to make changes in society toward a perceived greater good.” That sounds good to me. How about you? 

I asked ChatGPT, Google’s Bard, and Bing Chat for their suggestions regarding guidelines for activists. Of the three, I thought the former was clearly the best. It (they?) suggested such things as “educate yourself,” “set clear goals,” “build a strong network,” “stay optimistic,” and five more.

This article, though, is more about why one should be(come) an activist, and here is ChatGPT’s response to my question about that: people should be activists to “create change,” to “give a voice to the marginalized,” and to “influence policy.” Those sound like good reasons to me.  

I also agree with their statements about avoiding the errors of “all-or-nothing thinking,” “intolerance of opposing views,” and “demonizing individuals.”

I have long been an advocate of activism, although my actual social activity through the years was greatly limited by work and family responsibilities that kept me from having the time and energy to do more.

Recently, I have been thinking about some of the guidelines for my own activism, and lack thereof, which I am now sharing with you—and I am saying “we” instead of just “I.”

** It is better to do something, however inadequate that might be, rather than nothing. That sort of sentiment was expressed in the following well-known words by Edward E. Hale (1822~1909), an author and Unitarian clergyman. 

**Beware of thinking that because we are doing something we are doing all we can or should do. Perhaps we all are tempted to think that if we are actively engaged in some good activity, or activities, we are doing enough. That is most likely not true.

**Do not be(come) judgmental and critical of those who are doing less. Because we are doing something, it is a temptation to look down on those who are not doing as much. Such “self-righteousness,” though, is unbecoming and harmful to our relationship with others.

** Spend activist time/energy/money wisely, giving priority to those activities that will have the greatest benefit for the most people. It is easy to get caught up in emotional appeals for good but relatively insignificant causes. Always seek to focus on what is most important.

** Let’s remember to wear our bifocals! We must endeavor to make changes for a perceived greater good both for present-day society and for the world of the coming generations.

And speaking of bifocals (as I did in my previous blog post) for those who are activists, such “lenses” can be helpfully used in situations such as E.B. White wrote about: “I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world.”

Let’s try to do both every day.

Christian thinkers have often spoken about sins of omission, that is, not doing things we should have done.

Most of us, perhaps, are more guilty of that kind of sin than doing wrong or bad things, which is how sin is usually thought of. Remember what the New Testament says about this: So whoever knows what is good to do and does not do it is guilty of sin” (James 4:17, NET).

My away-from-home activities are greatly limited now by lack of energy and stamina. But, no doubt, there is much (more) I can and should do by working at my computer at home. That can, I think, be meaningful activism also.

So, more than in recent months/years, beginning today I am going to try, consciously, to do one “activist” thing a day, even though it might be rather small. But, again, doing something is better than nothing.

What about you?

13 comments:

  1. That's a worthwhile commitment -- at least one good act a day. I'm guessing you're referring, though, to the acts for the broader, collective good? I think we typically do more than that daily with family and close friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anton, I was referring to some daily action relating to the description of activism in the opening paragraph. What we do daily for family and close friends is certainly important, but it takes more intention and effort to do something for the good of the larger society.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate these kind and affirming words from local Thinking Friend David Nelson:

    "A blessed 50 Days of Easter to you and your family. I appreciate your reflection on activism and also seek to make a difference in the world with both my my words and actions. My parents often reminded us to 'leave a place better than we found it.' That meant to pick up someone else’s trash or repair someone else’s mistake. That has become a 'parent tape' in my life. I am more than confident that you will leave this world a better place than you found it and your legacy will far outlive your immediate family. Thanks for being a model of compassion and clarity."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are comments from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky:

    "At 91 I have to limit my activism, but I contribute money to worthy causes, and I supply groceries to our church pantry now and then. I have also continued to teach and will begin a study of Thomas Merton this week here in our retirement community. (Twenty have signed up for it.)"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Dr. Hinson. You are a good example of how old men like us may not be able to do a lot and certainly not as much as we used to, but we can still do something. I am glad to know that you will be leading a study of Thomas Merton, and I pray that will be a meaningful experience for those who have signed up for it.

      Delete
  4. Local Thinking Friend Vern Barnet shares these brief comments:

    "Thanks for this set of valuable reminders. This is a good review for us."

    ReplyDelete
  5. These guidelines are very helpful and make a lot of sense. Thanks, Leroy, for sharing them, and for your example and encouragement.

    I try to live up to such guidelines, but most likely fail to do so most days, identifying with Paul's the good I want to do, I don't do.... Hale's quote is a familiar one to me, which I've appreciated over the years. I support and am active in groups like Amnesty International.

    There are, of course, no shortage of "just causes" and non-governmental organizations, which work for the betterment of the world. One cannot support or be active in them all. Hopefully folks can support and be active in at least one or two of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Garth, for your comments--and for identifying yourself. (When I first saw what you had written, I wondered who had posted such good comments.)

      Certainly, there are a multitude of "just causes," as you called them. And, of course, we can't support or be active but in a very few of them. But I seek to challenge myself and others to seek out those that are the most important, that do the most good for the largest number of people, rather than just respond to emotional appeals. It is not easy, though, to decide how one's time and resources can be best used.

      Delete
  6. A respected local Thinking Friend started her comments regarding this blog post with these words, "Hey, Leroy. Somehow this just reads too pedantic for its content. Dos and don'ts. Yuck."

    She went on to write more than 700 words, which is longer than I allow my blog posts to be. There was much of value in what she wrote, but I think it would not be prudent to respond at length here. So I just responded (on email) with this brief message: "We need to sit down and have a long talk about these matters."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are meeting for lunch and dialogue on Friday.

      Delete
  7. The comment by E. E. Hale is one I have often used to encourage others never to settle for doing nothing. Those little deeds of kindness may not make it into history books, but picking up bits of trash or opening a door for someone and allowing them to go first can bring a smile into someone's dreary day. These actions cannot replace our larger involvement in mercy activities when they are possible. We can all pray for divine intervention along with our own efforts. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom, for reading and responding, and Hale's words are good and important--but the second guideline is equally important. However, it perhaps is not one that most people want to hear or take seriously.

      Delete