Thursday, January 5, 2023

The Beginning of the End

This blog post is being made not long after the beginning of the year 2023—and today is the beginning of the end. In just 360 days, this year will end—and the earthly life of some of you Thinking Friends, or my own life, may come to an end before then. That’s worth thinking about, isn’t it?  

This is my 999th blog post, so as announced previously, after my next post (planned for Jan. 10), I will no longer be posting blog articles every five days as I have done since early in 2010. I do hope to continue writing—but no longer on a schedule with deadlines.

I’ll be writing more about this next time, but since I will turn 85 this year, I have decided to reduce things that make for stress, even though writing these blog articles has mostly been eustress (= “moderate or normal psychological stress interpreted as being beneficial for the experiencer”).

It remains to be seen how often I will make blog posts in the months ahead, but they will, no doubt, be far fewer than now—and probably more personal and reflective as I likely won’t do nearly as much reading/research in writing new articles. So, this is the beginning of the end to my planned blogging.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. These words, which have almost become a cliché, are attributed to Charles Dederich (1913~97) by The Washington Post (in their 12/10/78 issue). So today, and every day, is the beginning of the end, and we should make the most of it. 

Recently, I’ve been reminded again of the old Stoic emphasis on memento mori, the Latin words often translated as “remember you must die.” As explained on Stoic.com’s website, “The point of this reminder isn’t to be morbid or promote fear, but to inspire, motivate and clarify.”

The same website has these significant words: “The Stoics used Memento Mori to invigorate life, and to create priority and meaning. They treated each day as a gift, and reminded themselves constantly to not waste any time in the day on the trivial and vain.


From far back in history, some people have carried coin-like medallions with an image of a skull and the words memento mori as a regular reminder to make the present as meaningful as possible because of the inevitability of death. Such “coins” are readily available for purchase even now.

There are more modern ways to be regularly reminded of death, always with the purpose of making life now more meaningful. For some time now, my son Keith has subscribed to the daily reminders sent by WeCroak.com, which has this invitation: “Find happiness by contemplating your mortality.”

Earlier this week I signed up to get their short daily quotes, and all of them have certainly been worth thinking about.

When the Grim Reaper comes, I’ll just say, Reap away. That is what I said to June, somewhat light-heartedly, the other day. I certainly am in no hurry for the end to come, but I can honestly say that I have no fear of death—and that I want to make the most of every day until the end.

I am currently reading a book theologian Larry L. Rasmussen wrote for his grandchildren.** The final letter, written in April 2021, ends with the words of a Mexican folk hymn that I don’t remember ever hearing.

That hymn is included, in Spanish and in English, in The New Century Hymnal (#499). Here’s verse one, which expresses well my foundation for living meaningfully now and for thinking about the end with no fear:

In all our living, we belong to God; 
and in our dying, we are still with God;
So, whether living, or whether dying, 
we belong to God; we belong to God.

_____

* I don’t have and don’t intend to buy such a coin, but they are available for purchase here for $26.

** Rasmussen’s book is The Planet You Inherit: Letters to My Grandchildren When Uncertainty’s a Sure Thing (2022). At the end of next week, I will be submitting a review of it to The Englewood Review of Books.

Note: Arthur C. Brooks’s new book is From Strength to Strength: Finding Success, Happiness and Deep Purpose in the Second Half of Life (2022). While it is written for people his age (he was born in 1964) rather than for people my age, his fifth chapter is “Ponder Your Death.” He doesn’t write specifically about memento mori, but he emphasizes that important idea: “Remembering that life won’t last forever makes us enjoy it all the more today” (p. 105).

Also, yesterday a Facebook friend sent me a link to this article posted on Christmas Day: “Want To Be Happy in 2023? Repeat This Four-Word Phrase.” Those four words are “remember you must die” (memento mori).

20 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your post. I get notified on my blog each time you post as I have you on some blog rolls. It makes me sad these notifications will soon come less frequently. You share my Father's birthyear. He is scheduled to turn 85 a few months before you do. I share Arthur C. Brooks birth year (and also his middle initial, for that matter). Death does greet us all and I have been contemplating Heaven more than usual at the beginning of this year. Call it what you will, death focused living, keeping an eye on eternity, first day of the rest of your life ; life is a journey and we need to keep our eyes on the road. Congratulations on 2000 posts. I currently have near 1,900 tweets and am trying to get to 2023 to match the years. If you posted fortnightly throughout this year you could reach 2023 posts by years end. Sorry, I can't help it I have a "math brain" stuck in a writer/teacher's body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting comments, Dave. Please note, though, that my next, and last regular, planned post will just be #1,000. -- I appreciate you including me on a blog roll and for you reading my posts from time to time, but I wish I knew more about you. I have seen your blogsite, but I couldn't find much information about you.

      Delete
  2. Our/my mortality has been a fairly constant object of meditation for me my entire adult life. The first that I remember thinking seriously about it was from an entry by Dag Hammarskjold in his journal: "Tomorrow we shall meet, / Death and I–– / And he shall thrust his sword / Into one who is wide awake."

    One of the more significant books I've read in my life is Ernest Becker's The Denial of Death in which, as I recall, he argues that human culture is largely a response to the reality of our mortality. And individuals vary on a continuum regarding how they deal with it: At one neurotic end is the person who reduces life to something very manageable----perhaps their garden or whatever. At the other neurotic end is the person who wants to do it all and thus bites off more than one can chew. It's the first book that ever identified me as neurotic, which made a lot of sense to me. Having earlier read the humanistic psychologists--Rogers, Maslow, etc.--I had seen a "self-actualizing" person in me. But then I would think something to the effect of, "If I'm so heathy, why am I so miserable?" Guess what end of the spectrum I'm at? LOL

    You're aware, I know, of Tillich's discussions of human anxiety in the face of our mortality. There's easily a whole encyclopedia of death that could be written in response to this fine blog on memento mori. But to stick with your theme, which I take to be on living life in the face of our mortality: Your quotation from the hymn is well chosen, especially for theists, pantheists, and panentheists. In the end, though, I suspect that Becker is on target identifying a whole spectrum of responses, regardless of faith. Maybe our awareness of our mortality is a lot like a Rorschach Test, to which different personalities respond differently, ranging from those who embrace death with a "good death" as a welcome conclusion to the challenges of living to those who "rage against the dying of the light."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as always, for your meaty comments, Anton--and there is more I would like to respond to than I will take the time to do now.

      I appreciate you mentioning Ernest Becker's book "The Denial of Death." I had this on my desk in my faculty office in Japan for a long time, but, alas, I never did find/take the time to read but just a bit of it. One of the sources I mentioned in the blog article referred to the significance of Becker's book (but I can't remember and won't take the time to see which one mentioned him/it).

      With regard to your concluding paragraph, I certainly acknowledge that my, and Rasmussen's, affirmation of the words of the hymn cited is an expression of my/his faith. But it seems to me that one's response to death is not based on "personality" or on sometime "regardless of faith" but is, indeed, an expression of one's firmly held faith.

      Delete
  3. Leroy, every day is a reminder of mortality. There will come a day that will be our last. I turned 89 th e day after TG 2022. Spouse Patricia is 85. That doesn't seem nearly as old when we remember that Patricia's Uncle John turned 101 in August 2022. And the obits published on the website of Kornerstone Funeral Home in Tulia informed us today that former Tulia resident Elvin Howell, b. 10/17/1914 passed away on 01/03/2023 at the age of 108 yrs, 11 months, and 17 days. And he made headlines at age 103 when he ziplined across Palo Duro Canyon. A zipliner is under construction across the Trinity River in Arlington TX, within just a few blocks of where we live. I have said I will not be a patron of that zipliner. Maybe I need to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Charles, go for it. You're still a young man compared to Elvin -- and how remarkable that he nearly lived to celebrate his 109th birthday.

      Delete
  4. Oh my Dear Brother in The LORD and my life-long Friend, I'm sorry to hear you say you're slowing down.
    My 85th birthday is near yours too this year so I can understand your thoughts.
    I enjoyed this Blog and All your Blogs and quote you occasionally in the Devotionals I Occasionally send out.
    I wish you GOD'S speed and look forward to spending Eternity with our LORD&Savior and you and June.
    GOD Bless,
    John Tim Carr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments, John Tim. And, yes, I have, indeed, been slowing down for some time now, but I am changing my blogging plans mainly in order to have time to do other important things. I do wish I still had the vitality that you still seem to have, as I saw on the recent video interview of you that was posted on YouTube.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Leroy, for this meditation on memento mori. It reminds me a bit of a couple other phrases that cause me to think about my mortality.

    You might remember the 1989 film, "Dead Poets Society," and the phrase, carpe diem. It originates from the Roman poet Horace (ca 23 B.C.), literally it means "pluck the day," but more often it is translated as "seize the day." The emphasis is basically: make the most out of life today, live it to the fullest.

    The other phrase comes from Paul Tillich: "the eternal now," which could refer to God or God's presence, or/and the realizing that/consciousness of, the presence/nowness is the primary reality of humankind as mortal, finite beings.

    I will miss your blog posts every five days, however, I shall look forward to your less frequent blog posts, and hope you enjoy a somewhat less stressful life doing other things that are important to you at this stage of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Garth. And, yes, I remember well "Dead Poets Society" and have watched it three or four times. And some of the articles I read about "memento mori" appropriately mentioned "carpe diem." Most of us also need to give deep attention to Tillich's (and others') emphasis on the eternal now. Thanks much for augmenting my blog article with these two important ideas.

      Delete
  6. Just after 6:00 this morning, I was honored with the following kind words by local Thinking Friend David Nelson:

    "What a beautiful and inspiring reflection on life and living. Thanks. You are living your life on purpose and inviting others, like me, to do the same. So many I know and love think they are not in charge of their lives. Other people, other forces, other events determine what happens to them. You remind us that we are each in charge of how we respond to the events in our lives. I love the words of coach Thomas Leonard, 'Life is easy. Life is hard. Results are the same. You chose.' You have chosen the better path."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, you responded so quickly to this blog post last Thursday that I am embarrassed to be so slow in thanking you for your kind, affirmative words--and for sharing some of your (and Thomas Leonard's) important philosophy of life.

      Delete
  7. Then there were these words from Thinking Friend Norm Doeden in Iowa:

    "Good morning, Leroy! Appreciated your blog post this morning as I have been doing for many years. I will miss your shared wisdom but understand that there is a time when it needs to end. I am also 87 and have always greatly enjoyed making furniture and other items for kids and grandchildren but now, the equipment is still available but it’s collecting more dust than wood chips.

    As you know, our daughter Andrea is dealing with an illness that is, almost always, terminal. Her faith and positive daily living give Gaye and me an example of the importance of appreciating each day we are given."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Local Thinking Friend Marilyn Peot shared these comments,

    "Oh, my! You quoted me today: 'reduce things that make stress.' That's where I am as I face my 88th birthday in April.

    "Life has truly changed...but as I anticipate moving on, knowing the promise of peace, joy and love in the Divine Presence, I still hope to behave and continue to LIVE! One of my passwords is 2035--my 100th year! Wonder if I will make it!!!

    "I hope you are able to continue living without too many physical issues. Hopefully, you are able to have a peaceful and fun time while here with us. June is a truly loving companion through these coming years. What a gift!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here are kind words from Ed Kail, another local Thinking Friend:

    "What an insightful and thoughtful message.

    "Good on you for making a decision to let go and embrace a new phase of life!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. And about three hours ago I received the following email message from Thinking Friend Glen Davis in Canada:

    "I’m sure you are familiar with the writings of Sr. Joan Chittister. Her book, "The Gift of Years – Growing Older Gracefully," is one I found on Joyce’s bookshelf after she died. It looks at every aspect of aging and the options we have that can make the older stage of life the most meaningful and rewarding years of all. I was so taken with it that I have started a discussion group on it in my congregation. I think it might be of interest to you!

    "Thank you for 12 years of blogs, and some of them were meaningful even to this Canadian!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plato has Socrates claiming that the purpose of philosophy is to learn how to die. (Phaedo) You can read a short discussion on it here: https://academyofideas.com/2013/10/philosophy-as-a-training-for-death/#:~:text=Because%20of%20this%20Plato%20has,death%20least%20of%20all%20men.%E2%80%9D

    Now I suspect Socrates is speaking with a certain irony here, because learning how to die is really learning how to live. Indeed, the news is always full of people who find extraordinary ways to die without even knowing they are doing it. Plato wrote a lot of dialogues for Socrates, because learning how to live is really complicated, and many philosophers have added their thoughts on the subject since.
    Thank you for all the thoughtful challenges you have made us think through over the years. You must be doing a good job, because there are a lot of us old people meeting on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I appreciate these kind words from local Thinking Friend Vern Barnet:

    "Congratulations on your blog posts these past years. They have been most welcome treats. I look forward to the final regular one, and then whatever occasional posts you might make."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here are kind comments from a couple more Thinking Friends. The first is from Chris Sizemore, a local TF"

    "Thank you, Leroy; you have made a great contribution to my life as well as your many other Thinking Friends."

    And then this afternoon I received these comments from Thinking Friend Ray Franklin in Arkansas:

    "I have enjoyed reading your posts, even though I have rarely responded. They have been informative, thoughtful, and often provoking (in the best sense of the word.)

    "I plan to use your comments on memento mori as an illustration in an upcoming Sunday sermon. It fits perfectly with what I wish to say."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also much appreciate these warm words from my pastor:

    "What an incredible commitment you've kept, writing and studying and sharing. I admire this and you a great deal."

    ReplyDelete