Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Thanks from a Happy Workhorse

So, as announced last week, here is my 1,000th blog post, including the first tentative one I made in July 2009. I am posting this with deep gratitude to those of you who have read my posts through the years—and especially to you who have taken the time and energy to post or email comments. 

Cover of the book with
100 of my 1,000 blog posts.

These 1,000 blog posts have been made by a happy “workhorse.” As I wrote in the post made in November 2016, during the academic year of 1981-82 when I was back in Missouri on a missionary “furlough,” I had the privilege of teaching at William Jewell College.

Dr. David O. Moore (1921~2016), my professor/benefactor/friend, was on sabbatical, so I had the privilege of using his faculty office (and library) during that wonderful year. Hanging on the wall of his office there was a horseshoe with the accompanying words, “God loves a happy workhorse.”

I resonated with those words, as I had up until then—and have also since then—seen myself as a “workhorse,” that is, as a person who is not flashy (like a racehorse) but a “plodder.” That had/has been my modus operandi up until then, and since.

Recently I asked ChatGPT about the characteristics of a workhorse. Since I actually drove workhorses as a boy back in the late 1940s, I expected an answer about horses. I was surprised that the response was about persons.

The first sentence from the chatbot was, “A workhorse is typically a reliable and hardworking individual who is able to handle a large workload and complete tasks efficiently and effectively.”

Well, I don’t know how effective I have been, but what I learned as a farmboy about working hard became a lifelong characteristic. (But now, in my 85th year, I have decided to quit working so hard.)

I also asked ChatGPT what it means to say that God loves a happy workhorse.

The response explained that “God values hard work, perseverance, and dedication . . . individuals who are willing to put in the effort and dedication necessary to achieve their goals, and who find joy and fulfillment in their work.” Yes, I can identify with that.

But then I was surprised that the chatbot cited Colossians 3:23-24 as an example of a Bible passage that speaks about “the importance of hard work and the value of being a good and faithful servant.”

I was surprised not only because I didn’t expect response to my question about a workhorse to include a Bible reference, but I was particularly surprised because I cited that Bible passage in a sermon preached in 1955, the month before I started to college.**

The AI response concluded that “the characteristics of a workhorse and the idea that God loves a happy workhorse reflect the importance of hard work and dedication in achieving one’s goals and serving others.”

When I started this blog in July 2009, just before my 71st birthday, I didn’t set a goal of posting 1,000 times. But in March 2010 I decided to regularize the blog by posting articles of 500~700 words every five days (give or take a day at times).

I set the goal of making 1,000 posts around the time I made my 500th post back in 2016. And I am happy to say that I have met that goal, never missing one time to post as planned.

Once again, many thanks to all of you Thinking Friends, and others, who have read most, many, or even just a few of my 1,000 blog posts. And while I will be posting irregularly and less often now, I hope you will continue to be friends who read—and perhaps respond—to my future posts.

In 1963—60 years ago!—I remember Ed Burgher (1925~2001), an older ministerial colleague, saying, “Impression without expression leads to depression.” I still think that that is a wise observation.

So, I am going to continue to blog, just not so often and not on any regular schedule. I don’t want to be depressed!

Please look forward to my next blog post. On the day after I made my 999th post, I started writing number 1,001—but it will not be posted until after January 15. I trust you will find it worth waiting for.

_____

** Colossians 3:23-24 says, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

I’m fairly certain I read that passage in that 1955 sermon, although the text I used was Ecclesiastes 9:10, which admonishes, “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.” Even though I didn’t know the words memento mori then, these are words related to that concept which I was thinking about when I was still 16.

32 comments:

  1. After a much-appreciated email from my daughter Kathy with personal comments I will not post here, the next comments received were from Thinking Friend John Pierce, Executive Editor/Publisher of Good Faith Media.

    "Thanks so much for your blogs, Leroy. I’ve learned much and had my thinking stimulated."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are brief comments from Thinking Friend Bob Hanson in Wisconsin:

    "Congrats, Leroy! Your thoughts are a gift to all! Keep riding brother!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! I think I know what you mean by "keep riding," but to stay with my workhorse metaphor, I do intend to keep plodding.

      Delete
  3. And here are comments that came by email about five minutes ago from local Thinking Friend Sue Wright:

    "I have been a blessed recipient of your blogs and have thoroughly enjoyed what they have brought to my variety of outlooks and concerns. Mostly we feel the same about all the important issues wild and untamed in the world. I have appreciated knowing someone I respect shares my point of view. Your knowledge of the Bible and using that knowledge to speak to the present and future has helped me keep my faith on topic. Thanks so much, Leroy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, for your warm words--and thanks for making comments from time to time. I always appreciated hearing what you had to say.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on #1,000, Leroy. You deserve the title of a “Happy Workhorse” in the senses you have given it. (~from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep writing ... words open us to possibilities, discoveries, new understandings, and sometimes a fresh view of this challenging life. Thanks for your gifts. (~from Thinking Friend Michael Olmsted in Springfield, Missouri)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are comments from local Thinking Friend Bob Southard:

    "Congrats and thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself…the workhorse with a beautiful soul. You have fed my hunger for academic Christian peace and justice understandings especially and more than once I took actions because of your input so your ministry rippled out, no question. (Connecting with Shane Claiborne comes to mind as one example.) Let this be a sabbath rest, not 'The End.
    With respect and appreciation."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Bob. Your positive affirmation means a lot to me.

      Delete
  7. Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago has been one of the most frequent commenters on my blog articles, and I have greatly appreciated his commenting so often. Here is what he shared this morning:

    "And a big thanks to you, Leroy, for sharing your thought-provoking blogs with us. I am delighted that you intend to continue sharing your thoughts, although perhaps not as frequently. I have very much enjoyed reading your blogs, with which I usually agreed, although sometimes my thoughts were challenged by your comments--a very good thing.

    "I am looking forward to reading blog number 1,001."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eric, for these comments and for commenting regularly over many years now. You have significantly augmented my blog by sharing your thoughtful comments.

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Leroy, and congratulations, you old workhorse, on finishing this large field! It's quite a beautiful scene to look back upon! Old workhorses do have quite a useful life, well past their prime. I look forward to continuing to receive the finely cultivated fruits of your ongoing contributions, even if at a reduced frequency! (~from Thinking Friend Ron Kraybill in Maryland)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ron, for these kind comments. I much appreciate you reading and commenting on my blog articles from time to time.

      Delete
  9. Here are comments from Thinking Friend Gayle June in St. Louis:

    "Congratulations on this remarkable milestone, Leroy! I have been enjoying your writing for some years now, and have always felt enriched by reading them, as well as the comments from your Thinking Friends, who are so much more learned than myself. Please give my regards to June, and hope your new free time allows more time with that lovely lady.

    "With much appreciation and gratitude for your wisdom."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle, for your kind words and for your friendship over the last several years.

      Delete
  10. A pretty amazing accomplishment from a happy workhorse! Stay happy, don't confine yourself to a schedule, and we will be uplifted by whatever you post. Blessings to you, sir. (~from Jerry Jumper in southwest Missouri)

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thousand blog posts is quite a milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I add my congratulations to all the others. I have saved many of your blogs and I certainly hope I get to read several more before you plow that last furrow. Ed Burgher is a name I have not heard in many years. His son Ben and I were in the same grade at Ekron school. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, so glad to hear from you again. I was hoping you would see the reference to Bro. Burgher. (Do you have any information about when he died; I tried to find an obituary online but was not able to find anything--other than Mrs. Burgher's brief obituary.) Do you still have contact with Ben? I would like to write him if I had his contact information.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for your good, refreshing and stimulating insights. I look forward to number 1001. Keep thinking and keep sharing with us. (~from local Thinking Friend Jerry Cain)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Leroy for being a workhorse. I say with no pejorative intent, that you are a plodding, and maybe even compulsive workhorse. But I am too! I've never plowed behind a workhorse. The wide open fields of the Texas Panhandle led to an earlier mechanization of farm work in the Panhandle, where fields of 160+ acres are commonplace. The neighbor field across the road south of our house was a field of near 600 acres, a whole square mile section (640 acres + or -). A few ministerial students were sitting at coffee with the pastor of FBC Plainview, who was soon to become President of Wayland Baptist College, discussing with him the pros and cons of going on for a doctorate beyond the standard ministerial prep degree at seminary--BD at that time. He said having a ThD showed sticktoitivity. In other words, workhorseness. I coined a couple of words there. You and I share those characteristics. I hope you continue to share with us from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have clarified that that neighbor field was an entire section minus a few acres in a small playa lake.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comments, Charles. In 1945 my parents and maternal grandparents went together to buy a 480-acre farm in northwest Missouri, but much of it was timberland, so the tillable fields were rather small (at least compared to Texas). We had wheat and oat fields, and reaped the harvest with a threshing machine. My experience of driving workhorses was mainly with them pulling a bundle wagon on which the shocked bundles were placed and then carried to the threshing machine.

      Delete
  15. Leroy: How I have enjoyed being informed and edified (if I can use an overused old evangelical word) by the great variety of subjects you have tackled over the years—in everything from politics and history to literature and the arts—always from the heart of someone radiating Christ’s love. Always with consideration for the marginalized and disadvantaged.

    Thanks for representing that radiant center! And for pouring your mind and heart into these 1000 blog posts, and for all the ways you have been a faithful and strong—and curious—workhorse, to sharpen our thinking and challenge our hearts.

    If only more evangelicals could make the journey you have, our world would be more just and more peaceful. Perhaps the psalmist’s dream would come true: “justice and peace will kiss each other” (Ps 85:10).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred, thanks so much for your kind and warm words. You have been a great encouragement to me over the last few years, and I greatly appreciate your friendship.

      Delete
  16. Leroy, I am glad you are a plodding workhorse. I struggle to keep up even with that! You have plowed many acres in my mind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, when June read your comments, she remarked about how your third sentence said so much. I agree. And I remain thankful for the way you have augmented my blog posts by making so many thoughtful and thought-provoking comments through the years.

      Delete
  17. This afternoon I received the following comments from Truett Baker, an older Thinking Friend who has been battling health issues.

    I would be remiss if I did not join with your many friends in recognizing your 1000th edition of your newsletter. I had to quit earlier, but enjoyed the times we shared in the dialogue and found helpful information and stimulation to inquire further. I don't know how in the world you have the discipline, energy and knowledge to stay with your plan for so many years. It's almost like a second career. Many thanks for including me among your 'thinking friends.'"

    ReplyDelete
  18. And here are comments by Thinking Friend Jamea Crum, who for several years was a missionary colleague in Japan. She now lives in Springfield, Mo.

    I'm happy you plan to continue writing. I have enjoyed all of them I have received and have saved several. I have also appreciated the many references to life and service in Japan.
    . . . .
    "Thank you again, Leroy, for sharing yourself through your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your 1000th blog post, Leroy. I, like your other thinking friends shall look forward to #1001, with much thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Last week I also received the following brief, and appreciated, comments from local Thinking Friend Vern Barnet:

    "Thank you, Leroy (HWH) for these 1,000 gifts, and for the still-forthcoming gifts. You are a grace to me and so many."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments, Vern. -- For those of you who might wonder what HWH means, that was his referring to me as a happy workhorse. Perhaps I should start using those initials along with the initials for my name, which I often use. -- LKS (HWH)

      Delete