Saturday, December 10, 2022

Happy Birthday, Congressman Raskin!

Back in July 2015, I posted a blog article titled "Happy Birthday, Senator Graham!” That was on the occasion of Sen. Lindsey Graham’s 60th birthday—but I thought more of him then than in the years since.

This post is about Representative Jamie Raskin, who celebrates his 60th birthday next Tuesday. I do not expect to be disappointed in him as I have been in Sen. Graham. 

Jamin Ben Raskin was born on December 13, 1962, the son of Jewish parents and the grandson of Russian Jewish immigrants to the U.S.  Raskin, who goes by the name Jamie, has B.A. and J.D. degrees from Harvard University.

For more than 25 years Raskin was a constitutional law professor at American University Washington College of Law. In 2006, he was elected to the Maryland Senate, where he served until 2016 when he was elected as Maryland’s 8th district Representative to the U.S. Congress.

On July 1, 2021, Raskin was one of the seven Democrats appointed to the United States House Select Committee on the January 6 Attack. Last month with nearly 80% of the vote, he was re-elected as a Representative for the third time.

Raskin has long lived in Takoma Park, Md., a D.C. suburban city that is adjacent to Silver Spring (where my two sons live).

Rep. Raskin suffered an “unthinkable” week from the last day of 2020 to January 6, 2021. The tragic story of that week, and much more, is told in his book Unthinkable: Trauma, Truth, and the Trials of American Democracy (2022).

On December 31, 2020, Raskin's office announced that his son Tommy, a graduate of Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring and a second-year student at Harvard Law School, died at the age of 25.

(My younger son, Ken, has taught at Blair for more than 20 years now, but he didn’t know Tommy; currently there are around 3,600 students at Blair, the largest public high school in Maryland.)

On January 4, 2021, Raskin and his wife posted an online tribute to their son, stating that following a prolonged battle with depression, Tommy had died by suicide. That was an unthinkable tragedy for the Raskin family.

In a farewell note, Tommy wrote, "Please forgive me. My illness won today. Look after each other, the animals and the global poor. All my love, Tommy."

Tommy was buried on January 5. On the very next day, Rep. Raskin was in the Capitol with his daughter and son-in-law during the January 6 Capitol attack.

On that fateful day, Raskin had to experience the unthinkable attack on the U.S. Capitol—with the realistic fear that he could be killed along with many others gathered there on what should have been routine congressional business.

Hours later he began drafting an article of impeachment against President Trump, and six days later House Speaker Pelosi named Raskin the lead manager of Trump's second impeachment.

His book, Unthinkable, focuses on his son's life as well as his preparation for the impeachment trial. Whether you read all the book or not, I highly recommend reading the powerful 35-page Prologue.

(Raskin’s book should be available in most public libraries; I read the Kindle version checked out from my local library.)

Rep. Raskin is a man of intelligence, empathy, and moral integrity—at least that is my appraisal of him at this time.

We often hear negative things said about the top politicians in the country. I had a friend who regularly referred to the Congresscritters. And, sadly, there are some of Raskin’s colleagues in the 435-member House of Representatives who doubtlessly merit widespread criticism.

While I regret that there are many current House members who are of rather small caliber—and many of those have been re-elected for another two years—I am grateful that there are also many Representatives of high quality, and certainly Rep. Raskin is one of the best.

The House will likely be rather chaotic in the coming two years, but after the 2024 election I strongly hope for a better House with more exemplary members like Raskin.

_____

Note: I asked the Chat GTP online AI program (https://chat.openai.com/chat) to improve my concluding paragraph. I agree with their lengthier, and unaltered, statement, which was produced in less than ten seconds:

In the coming two years, the House of Representatives may experience a great deal of turmoil and unrest. However, after the 2024 election, I am hopeful that we will see a more cohesive and effective House, with members who are dedicated to serving the best interests of the American people. One such member who exemplifies these qualities is Representative Jamie Raskin, who has shown himself to be a thoughtful and principled leader. I believe that with more members like Raskin, the House will be better able to tackle the challenges facing our nation and work towards a brighter future for all Americans.

18 comments:

  1. This being Saturday morning, responses have been slow coming in, but local Thinking Friend Sue Wright made the following brief comments before 7 a.m.:

    "He is a champion among our leaders. Thanks for the history and good words about him."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, for reading and responding early this morning. I am happy, but not surprised, that you see Rep. Raskin as "a champion among our leaders."

      Delete
  2. Joy and I listened to the audiobook of Raskin's _Unthinkable_ (read by the author) on our trip last January from MD to OK. The book was touching, inspiring, sad, and ultimately hopeful. Bravo, Jamie! Our congressional district is adjacent to Raskin's. After listening to his book, I admire him all the more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Michael. I was impressed that you got the audiobook to listen to in January as it was not released until January 4. I mainly just read what I referred to as "the powerful 35-page Prologue," but, like you, after reading that I admired him even more than previously.

      Delete
  3. And then a few minutes ago, Thinking Friend Eric Dollard sent the following comments from Chicago, where he moved several years ago from the Kansas City area:

    Thanks, Leroy, for your comments about Jamie Raskin. I have heard Rep. Raskin on TV several times; he seems very well informed and, as you point out, to be a man of integrity, of which there are woefully too few in Congress.

    Our representative in the U S House is Dan Quigley, a liberal Democrat, who succeeded Dan Rostenkowski, a representative notorious for his corruption. Quigley, as far as I know, is a man of integrity; I have not heard any hints of scandal about him. He keeps a low profile.

    I was pleased to see that Sharice Davids was reelected in the 3rd Congressional district in Kansas, the district in which we had resided until we moved to Chicago. The 3rd district was represented for ten or twelve years, until 2013, by Dennis Moore, someone I had the pleasure of knowing. Sadly, Dennis now suffers from severe Alzheimer's, so he is not able to appear publicly. He is a compassionate man of integrity, who genuinely cared about his constituents. .

    I am very concerned about the incoming House, which may not be able to elect a new speaker, and which will waste time and money on pointless investigations instead of addressing the real problems our country faces. Expect some government shutdowns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eric. Many of my friends at Rainbow Mennonite Church live in the third Congressional district as you used to, and they were delighted that Rep. Davids was re-elected.

      I agree with what you wrote in your last paragraph, which resonates with what I wrote about expecting the upcoming house to be "rather chaotic." In addition to the likelihood of "pointless investigations" and even unnecessary government shutdowns, there will possibly even be attempts to impeach key Democrats, beginning with Pres. Biden. Did you see that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is calling for Biden to be impeached for the prisoner swap that led to the release Brittney Griner from a Russian penal colony?

      Delete
  4. "I fully agree with you about Raskin, Leroy. He often is interviewed on CNN, and his leadership regarding Trump’s impeachment and the January 6 Select Committee has been exemplary. Would that we had more congressional representatives of his intelligence and integrity!" (From Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tribute to an important patriot, and great Marylander. I haven’t read his book, but will add it to my list.

    Neat to see the GPT conclusion. It doesn’t capture your unique voice, but does get across the sentiment. Glad you’ve found it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris, for your comments -- and thanks again for introducing me to the GPT website.

      (Chris is my oldest granddaughter's husband. They met when they were students at Montgomery Blair High School.)

      Delete
  6. "May Rep. Raskin's tribe increase! (From Thinking Friend Michael Olmsted in Springfield, Mo.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Great tribute to Representative Raskin. May we have more like him." (From Thinking Friend LeRoy Roberts in North Carolina)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Local Thinking Friend David Nelson writes,

    "Thanks for these words about Jamie Raskin. I found his book, in my opinion, the best about Jan. 6th insurrection. Combined with the sadness of their son's death it makes an amazing read.

    "I am curious about the ai text generation program. Is it another Google or something more?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. David, there seems to be many text generation programs now, but the one that is making the biggest splash now is call ChatGPT. Here is the link to a Dec. 5 New York Times article about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/05/technology/chatgpt-ai-twitter.html
    Some are saying that this or similar programs may greatly decrease the use of Google.

    I pasted all the above in the appropriate box on ChatGTP, and this is what I got a few seconds later:

    "I'm sorry, but I'm not able to browse the internet or access specific articles or websites. I'm a large language model trained by OpenAI and my knowledge is based on the text that I've been trained on, which has a cutoff date of 2021. I don't have any information about a program called ChatGPT or a New York Times article from December 5, 2022. I can, however, provide general information about text generation programs and their potential uses and impact.

    "Text generation programs, also known as natural language generation (NLG) systems, are a type of artificial intelligence (AI) that are designed to generate human-like text based on input data or information. These systems use machine learning algorithms to analyze input data and generate text that is similar to the way a human might write or speak about the same topic. NLG systems can be used for a wide range of applications, including summarizing large amounts of data, generating news articles or reports, and even creating entire books or novels.

    "As for their potential impact, it's difficult to say for sure how NLG systems may affect the use of search engines like Google. Some people may find NLG-generated content to be useful and turn to it as a source of information, while others may prefer to continue using traditional search engines to find information. It's also possible that NLG systems could be integrated into search engines to improve the quality and relevance of search results. Ultimately, the impact of NLG systems will depend on how they are used and how well they are able to meet the needs of users."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Local Thinking Vern Barnet sent me an email with the following comments:

    "I also admire Congressman Raskin greatly, and especially because of his outstanding service to the country in the time of horrific personal grief. Others in the House who meet the AI description of 'a thoughtful and principled leader' that I particularly admire include Adam Schiff. A favorite past Kansas 3rd District Congressman is Dennis Moore (of blessed memory), who spoke at the 2001 Gifts of Pluralism conference and was extraordinarily helpful right after 9/11 in promoting interfaith understanding. I wrote this all by myself, without help from ChatGPT. It might be better if I had used ChatGPT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Vern. Eric Dollard also mentioned Congressman Dennis Moore (see above).

      I put some of your comments in the ChatGPT box, but it replied that it has information only through 2021 and is unable to get current information from the internet, so it didn't re-write what you wrote -- but it did give a long paragraph of pertinent information about Congressman Moore.

      Delete
  11. Thanks again Leroy for your thourgh and well presented Research.
    I was unaware of this Congressman and it's Good to know we have men like him Representing us.
    Respectfully,
    John Tim Carr

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since you asked about representatives, I will claim Emanuel Cleaver II. He doesn’t make many newspaper headlines, but I consider that a positive in Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dennis for reading and responding. I agree that Rep. Cleaver is, like Rep. Raskin, a good and honorable Representative--and I wish he were my representative. Unfortunately, I live in the Sixth Congressional District (with Rep. Sam Graves, a man of much smaller caliber, in my opinion) rather than in the Fifth District.

      Delete