Tuesday, September 20, 2022

A Model for Christians: In Fond Memory of Ron Sider

You may find it hard to believe, but I once was a member of the KKK. Well, not that KKK. Not long after moving to Fukuoka City on the Japanese island of Kyushu, I became a member of the Kyushu Kenkyu Kai (kenkyu = study; kai = meeting).*

A little over ten years later, our KKK’s monthly meeting discussed Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger (1977). That was my introduction to author Ron Sider, and I was one of his many admirers who was saddened by his sudden death in July. 

Ron Sider (1939~2022) in 2019

Ronald James Sider was born in Canada on Sept. 17, 1939. Following the completion of his Ph.D. studies at Yale in 1969, Sider took a position teaching at Messiah College’s Philadelphia campus and then in 1977 became a professor at what is now Eastern University’s Palmer Theological Seminary.

Sider was an Anabaptist, reared in the Brethren in Christ Church in Canada. He was ordained to the Christian ministry by both that Church and by the Mennonites.

Sider had a long and fruitful career as a professor, author, and activist. He published over 30 books and wrote over 100 articles for both religious and secular magazines.

By far, his most widely-read book was Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger. Hailed by Christianity Today as one of the one hundred most influential books in religion in the 20th century, it has sold over 400,000 copies in nine languages.

Ron Sider was “a model for an evangelical Christianity committed to social justice.” That is how Tish Harrison Warren, an Anglican priest, describes Sider in her Aug. 7 New York Times opinion piece. I heartily agree.

When he was still 34 years old and before moving to Eastern, in 1973 Sider helped convene a group of evangelical Christians in Chicago. They issued “The Chicago Declaration of Evangelical Social Concern.”

Writing about that document in 2012, one author explained that “Sider and his colleagues condemned American militarism, sexism, economic injustice, and President Nixon’s ‘lust for and abuse of power.’”** (Sider and his fellow evangelicals then were quite different from many evangelicals today.)

It was because of “The Chicago Declaration,” which in addition to Sider was signed by over 50 progressive evangelicals, including Art Gish and Jim Wallis as well as James Dunn and Foy Valentine, two Southern Baptists I highly respected, that I was able to long self-identify as an evangelical.

Then, under Sider’s leadership, “The Chicago Declaration” became the founding document for Evangelicals for Social Action, a progressive group organized in 1978. (In 2020 the ESA changed their name to Christians for Social Action.)

I did not agree with all of Sider’s positions, such as his unwavering anti-abortion stance. Nevertheless, I appreciate the emphasis he made in his 1987 book titled Completely Pro-Life: Building a Consistent Stance on Abortion, the Family, Nuclear Weapons, the Poor.

Despite some disagreements, Sider was clearly a model for Christians, especially for those in the evangelical tradition, who take the teachings of Jesus seriously.

Ron Sider was an active Christian model into his 80s. In 2020, his succinct book Speak Your Peace: What the Bible Says about Loving Our Enemies articulated his Anabaptist understanding of Christianity and summarized the biblical case for pacifism and active nonviolence.

Also in 2020, Sider was the editor of The Spiritual Danger of Donald Trump: 30 Evangelical Christians on Justice, Truth, and Moral Integrity. In addition to the Introduction and Afterword, he also authored chapters 8 and 11 of that book.

His last blog post, a 900-word article titled “Advance Both Religious Liberty and LGBTQ Civil Rights,” was made on May 29 before his death of cardiac arrest on July 27.

So, I post this in fond memory of Ron Sider, who as Warren wrote “helped birth a movement and blaze a trail. And though at times it seems that trail has been hidden under Christian political partisanship . . . many Christians are still trying to walk the narrow path he left behind him.”

Thank God for faithful Christian scholars and disciples such as Ron Sider!

_____

* One of my first blog posts, made here on 7/21/09, was titled “James Cone at a KKK Meeting.” Up to this point, there have been only 24 pageviews of it, but many of you would find that brief post about the black liberation theologian to be of interest.

** The words are from Asbury University professor David Swartz’s book  Moral Minority: The Evangelical Left in an Age of Conservatism (2012, 2014).

9 comments:

  1. The first, and so far the only, comments received so far this morning are from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky:

    "Thanks for remembering Ron Sider, Leroy. I didn’t know him well, but our paths crossed sometimes when I edited Baptist Peacemaker."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the late 1980s or early 1990s, Dr. Sider and I were at different meetings in the same hotel or conference center in either Singapore or Hong Kong. We passed each other in the hallway walking in opposite directions. I regretted that I didn't have the opportunity to meet and chat with him then and that I never met him or heard him speak in person.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Leroy, for this blog post. I have only read one of Sider's books: "Cry Justice: The Bible on Hunger and Poverty." The Christian Century also has an article you and your readers might be interested in reading: https://www.christiancentury.org/article/news/ron-sider-evangelical-activist-dies-82

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Garth, for your response to this blog post. I have only two or three Thinking Friends in Canada, and since you are the one I hear from most often I thought about you when I wrote about Sider being born in Canada.

      I have not read Sider's "Cry Justice," but as it was published in 1980, I assume its content is closely related to "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger."

      The Christian Century article is one of several I saw soon after Sider's death. Thanks for mentioning it and giving the link to it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the blog on Ron Sider. I've been a "distant" admirer of him for a long time because of his stands on social justice, although I've read very little of what he wrote. Actually, I've been a "distant" admirer of a number of evangelicals since I left evangelicalism. I read Arthur Gish and others during my seminary years. The divide between evangelicalism and neo-orthodoxy-liberalism hadn't yet become the chasm it is today. In fact, my ordination service included both the UCC and my Southern Baptist Church, thus, I was dually ordained. However, even then, I knew that my graduation from a UCC seminary meant it would be futile to seek a pastorate in a Southern Baptist Church. So I didn't stick around, once I'd taken a UCC pastorate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this about your personal faith journey, Anton. And, yes, there did develop quite a chasm between evangelicalism and neo-orthodox-liberalism. But there also was, and is, quite a chasm between conservative evangelicalism (fundamentalism) and the progressive (left-wing) evangelicalism that Sider and Gish (and Jim Wallis and Tony Campolo and others) were/are a part of.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for introducing me to yet another scholar I did not know. Clearly, the Bible, like the USA Constitution in the last blog, can be a source of confusion for good-hearted readers, and a tool to twist for those who chose to do so. For instance, I can see how different ways of defining 'life' could lead to different opinions on abortion. However, most of today's 'pro-life' rhetoric stems from a false spin on some very ambiguous verses. The Bible just does not take a clear stand on abortion, despite the fact that midwives have been practicing abortion on women desiring abortions since the dawn of history, thousands of years ago. Still, if anyone insists on finding a proof-text, I have mine ready, straight from Jesus: "And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: . . . " (Mark 9:47, KJV)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I haven't read the details about why Sider was anti-abortion, but he is to be commended, I think, for being completely pro-life and not just pro-birth as so many of those who oppose abortion so strongly are. I did read where he wrote opposing those who were one-issue voters, specifically those who thought that a candidate should be voted for or against solely on the basis of that candidate's position on abortion. Throughout his career, Sider placed far more emphasis on the need to help the economically poor than opposing abortion.

      Delete
  5. Just yesterday I was looking over a list of books reviewed and discussed in our church’s adult Sunday school classes and came across the title, The Spiritual Danger of Donald Trump, edited and partly written by Sider. We discussed the book in 2020 via Zoom meetings prior to the election while we were still in COVID isolation. I’m almost nostalgic for the time when we were so socially isolated that we were willing to get up early on a Sunday morning to discuss a book.

    ReplyDelete