Monday, July 11, 2022

Do You Have Ikigai?

The Japanese word ikigai (pronounced “ee key guy”) is an important word/concept that has long been common in Japan, and it is becoming more widely known in the English-speaking world. 

The Oxford English Dictionary defines ikigai as “a motivating force; something or someone that gives a person a sense of purpose or a reason for living.” Its meaning is similar to the French expression raison d'être, and shares much in common with Viktor Frankl’s concept of logotherapy. 

One of the first popularizers of ikigai in the U.S. is Dan Buetter whose TED talk “How to live to be 100+” in 2009 referred to how ikigai is one reason for the remarkable longevity of people who live in Okinawa, Japan. (The video of that talk has now had more than 630,000 views.)

Marc Winn is an entrepreneur and a “business coach” who in May 2014 posted “What is your Ikigai?” He presented his ideas with a Venn diagram that has become quite popular. (Some of you have probably seen it on Facebook.)

Winn’s “Ikigai Venn Diagram” has now been presented in various colorful ways, but I like this simpler one: 

Although it is translated from Spanish, Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life (2016, 2017) by Héctor García and Francesc Miralles is an “international bestseller,” and I read a copy from my local library in 2020. (Here is a link to a review of that book, including “the 10 rules of ikigai.”)

Winn’s Venn diagram and the “marketing” of ikigai in the Western world is not liked by some Japanese, however. I won’t try to explain that criticism here, but if you are interested, please access this website.

Just because the Japanese use the wonderful word ikigai, that doesn’t mean everyone actually possesses it. The Japanese suicide rate has been, and remains, high—for many reasons. But the absence of ikigai is one of the major reasons, especially among for younger Japanese.

Neither is obtaining ikigai, perhaps wrongly appropriated by Western entrepreneurs, something that can be quickly achieved. Still, having a strong purpose for living is of great importance for all people, whether you call it ikigai or not.

But how does one obtain ikigai? There is no “one and only” way, but I am convinced that a strong religious faith is a primary means, although that is not a way common among Japanese people. But consider this example of one Japanese Christian who exhibited a strong sense of ikigai.

It was about 50 years ago that I first met a Japanese professor/scholar by the name of Sakakibara Gan. He was translating Arthur Gish’s book The New Left and Christian Radicalism, which I wanted to use in an upcoming Christian Studies course that I was going to teach.**

Sakakibara-sensei was born in 1898, so he was 74 or 75 when I first met him—and I thought he was quite old since he was 40 years older than I. When he told me about his plans for the years ahead, I understood his strong sense of ikigai.

The “old” professor said, “I can’t die for a few years yet; there are too many books I still want to write and to translate”—and he did go on to write three books (the third of those published in 1991) and to translate four more books after that. He died in 1994, about two weeks after his 96th birthday.

Although I haven’t often used the term ikigai, I am deeply grateful for having had it from my teen years. My 38 years in Japan were so meaningful because of ikigai—and having had the privilege of helping a number of Japanese people discover their ikigai was and remains gratifying.

Even though I no longer need the bottom part of the Venn diagram, I am still invigorated by the top three circles.

I hope that you readers, too, have a sense of ikigai—or at least that you will acquire more and more ikigai in the months/years ahead.

_____

** I have previously posted blog articles about Gish and his book; see here and here. And here is the link to an article about Sakakibara (and his wife) in the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online.

15 comments:

  1. Very nice, Leroy! Thanks, and thanks for the introduction to ikigai. I just read the entire thing to Jean. I'm going to send your blog to my grandson who is obsessed with anything and everything Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Anton--and thanks, too, for posting a link to it on Facebook this morning. -- I hope your grandson will find the article of interest, and I would appreciate you sharing any response you might receive from him.

      Delete
    2. By the way, I also posted your blog in a FB group, "KCAI Language Community," which, strictly speaking, is not only devoted to Japanese, but the group is administered by a Japanese teacher and is usually seen by students of Japanese.

      Delete
  2. Many thanks for this very informative blog post. I do see similarities between ikigai and Viktor Frankl's significant observations on meaning and purpose in life, based on his experiences and insights as a Holocaust survivor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Garth, and for seeing the connection to Frankl. As you may remember, my March 30, 2020, blog post was about Frankl, and in wrote the following about his concept of logotherapy in that article:

      As early as 1926, Frankl had used the word logotherapy, the term that came to characterize what is called the Third Viennese School of Psychotherapy, preceded by the work of two other great Austrian psychiatrists: Sigmund Freud (1856~1939) and Alfred Adler (1870~1937).

      Logotherapy emphasizes the importance of finding meaning in one's life. Thus, Frankl emphasized the will to meaning in contrast to the will to pleasure as found in Freudian psychoanalysis and the will to power as stressed by Adlerian psychology.

      As Frankl elucidated,
      "It is one of the basic tenets of logotherapy that man’s main concern is not to gain pleasure or to avoid pain but rather to see a meaning in his life. That is why man is even ready to suffer, on the condition, to be sure, that his suffering has a meaning."

      Delete
  3. Local Thinking Friend David Fulk shares these comments:

    "I’ve not been familiar with this term and am grateful for the diagram. There's more I need to learn about it, but I think I may possess it. I feel my work in public radio, what motivates me in that work, and the good this work does is very close to the center of the diagram. It is certainly a thinking diagram."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, David. It was good to hear from you again, and I am happy that you found this morning's blog post to be helpful.

      Yes, I think that those people, like you, who are consciously working for the common good (as opposed to just their own benefit) do, indeed, have "ikigai."

      Delete
  4. "Thanks, Leroy. I think I have a touch of 'ikigai.' Perhaps audaciously, I’m still teaching as I approach 91." (Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Hinson, I think you have more than a "touch" of "ikigai." Although I didn't know the Japanese word for it then, your sense of 'ikigai' was quite noticeable in the early 1960s when I first knew you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ikigai seems like a structured way to look at our western (and frequently Christian) notion of "calling." It would seem that those of us who have retired are aiming on the chart for that nameless petal just above Ikigai. We want to do what we love, hope we are still good at, and to be doing it so that something good happens for the world. From its position on the chart, it is tempting to call it a "Higher Calling!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, I think you are right: "ikigai" certainly comes to a person who has a sense of call. That was the basis for my saying that I have been fortunate to have had "ikigai" since my teen years, for that is when I first sensed God's call. As you may remember, I wrote about this in a blog article I posted on Sept. 15 last year:
      https://theviewfromthisseat.blogspot.com/2021/09/what-does-it-mean-to-be-called-by-god.html

      Delete
  7. Leroy, thank you as always. Personally, I share your reflection of being blessed with ikigai my whole time in Japan. Leaving Japan created a wobble for a short time, but I seem to have settled into a new but yet continuing ikigai. I also feel now that I have a front row seat to observe people and their ikigai without any reference to a personal faith. Enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous," I appreciate you posting these comments, and I think your final sentence resonates with what Brian McLaren says in his new book, which I write about in the blog article I will post early tomorrow morning.

      I understand why perhaps you wanted to post anonymously, but if you see this, I would appreciate you dropping me an email so we might discuss this matter a bit more. -- Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I just shared this great article in my Facebook page about ikigai and I have to say I really liked the context of your article about Japanese culture as a missionary in Japan in learning how Japanese people can work and accomplish much things, which I think was why I was motivated to use ikigai in my devotions and studies and relationships with people. Thanks for the words in your article and rich blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven, thanks for linking to this blog post on your Facebook page, and thanks also for commenting here. -- This morning when I read your comments to my wife, she exclaimed, "Well, if anybody has 'ikigai,' it's Steven!"

      Delete