Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Grieving After-Christmas Massacres

It was not long after that joyous first Christmas that things turned violent in Palestine. Although it didn’t happen as soon as depicted in most Christmas pageants, not long after Jesus’ birth there was a horrendous after-Christmas massacre.

The “Massacre of the Innocents”

According to Matthew 2:16~18, Herod the Great, the reigning king of Judea, ordered the execution of all male children two years old and under in the vicinity of Bethlehem.

The Catholic Church has long recognized those massacred baby boys as the first Christian martyrs and celebrates the Feast of the Holy Innocents on December 28.

That terrible “massacre of the innocents,” as it is often called, has been depicted by famous artists such as Raphael and Rubens in their paintings of c.1512-13 and 1611-12. But those works are so “busy,” I am sharing this 1860-61 painting of Italian artist Angelo Visconti:  

The Indian Massacre of December 26, 1862

What was at the time the largest one-day mass execution in U.S. history, 38 Dakota men were hanged on this date, Dec. 26, in 1862.

The Dakota War of 1862, also known by several other names (including Little Crow’s War), began that year on August 17—in the middle of the Civil War raging mostly on the east side of the Mississippi River.

That “Indian war” was between the U.S. and several bands of the Native Americans known as the Dakota and also as the eastern Sioux. It began in southwest Minnesota, four years after its admission as a state.

Treaty violations and late annuity payments led to hunger and hardship among the Dakota. Their desperation led to extensive attacks on White settlers in the area and resulted in the death of some of them.

Hundreds of Dakota men were captured, and a military tribunal sentenced 303 to death for their deadly use of violence. President Lincoln commuted the sentence of 264 of the condemned men, and one was pardoned shortly before the remaining 38 were hanged.

It was a sad, day-after-Christmas massacre.  

The Indian Massacre of December 29, 1890

The end of the Indian wars came 130 years ago this week, on Dec. 29, 1890, with the Wounded Knee Massacre.

The story of that massacre is told in some detail in the last chapter of Dee Brown’s widely read book Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West (1970). (The highly popular TV movie with the same name was aired in 2007.)

That after-Christmas massacre took place near Wounded Knee Creek on the Lakota Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. (The Lakota and Dakota are the same Native American nation that is usually called the Sioux by Whites.)

By the time the massacre was over, more than 250 Native Americans, including women and children, had been killed—and perhaps as many as 50 more died later from wounds received on that fateful day.

Most of those who died were needlessly and unjustly killed. Accordingly, in 1990, a century after the massacre, the U.S. Congress passed a resolution expressing “deep regret” for the grievous slaughter.  

Beyond the Massacres

Some of those injured at Wounded Knee were taken to the Episcopal mission at Pine Ridge. Dee Brown ended his book (on page 445) with these words:

When the first torn and bleeding bodies were carried into the candlelit church, those who were conscious could see Christmas greenery hanging from the open rafters. Across the chancel front above the pulpit was strung a crudely lettered banner: PEACE ON EARTH, GOOD WILL TO MEN.

That reminded me of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s wonderful Christmas carol, “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.” The third verse of that carol, written during the Civil War, says,

And in despair I bowed my head:
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then verse four exults,

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

+++++

**For more about Longfellow and his 1863 poem, “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day,” see my 12/25/18 blog post titled “Can You Hear the Christmas Bells?”

8 comments:

  1. Greetings! This article and blog brings back vivid memories even now when I taught music at Standing Rock High School at Fort Yates, ND in 1985. I learned more from my Native American students than I ever taught them...they and their parents became some of my closest friends. Thank you,Leroy and a Happy BETTER New Year 2021 to you and June and your families! GMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, George, for sharing these comments. I was happy to hear of your positive experience at Standing Rock HS, both with your students and with their parents.

      Delete
  2. Local Thinking Friend sent me an email this morning with this message:

    "In 1972, my family gave me 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.' I read the whole book in a few weeks. My reflection on this tragedy inspired my poem, 'Pikes Peak' which I submitted to an online 'Call for Poems on American Indians.' The group included it in its collection. I read it at one of our Panera Bread breakfasts and included in “Boxes.” Isn’t it marvelous how BOOKS change our entire perspective on history, as do your well researched blogs."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Temp. I was happy to call up "Boxes" on Kindle and read your find poem again--and I was glad to learn that it was inspired by your reading "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee."

      Delete
  3. Your blog postings are always informative and inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and posting these encouraging comments, Michael.

      Delete
  4. Those three massacres are a heady combination. The second reminds me of an account that I believe goes back to Julius Caesar, who upon convicting a large number of men (mutiny, if I remember), then pardoned 90 percent and executed the remaining 10 percent. This appears to be approximately what Lincoln did.

    Which gets me to Longfellow's verse four. I really want that to be true, I hope some day it will be, but a deep tendency to massacre seems all too human. What is "more loud and deep" are the words (and music) that call us all to reach for peace, from the voices of the survivors, witnesses, and chroniclers of these events. The very first recorded massacre causes God to proclaim, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground." (Genesis 4:10 NIV) I used to teach this story to fifth graders, and I would ask them when Abel's blood stopped crying out. Usually, they were stumped. So then I would ask them if they could hear Abel's blood. That usually got the conversation going. We usually have to listen before we can hear. Unfortunately, it is much too easy to train ourselves not to hear. So the killing continues. We have so many Abels crying out. I wonder if the mark God put upon Cain was to make Cain's skin white? Of course, what difference does it make if one is descended from Cain or from Seth, since Noah followed in Cain's "creative" tradition by planting the first vineyard, making the first wine, having the first hangover, and placing the first curse on his own descendants. That gets us all the way from chapter 4 to chapter 9 in Genesis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for these thought-provoking comments, Craig.

      I live with the hope that the words that Longfellow wrote in verse four are true. I also live with the recognition that "things take time," as I wrote about earlier this fall.

      Certainly, there is a deep human tendency to massacre. There is also a deep desire of many humans to seek peace and harmony. Both movements are strong, but I believe that in the end good/God will be victorious. But those of us who seek peace and harmony must not cease to strive for the sake of good and God's kingdom of shalom.

      Delete