Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Are You, Am I, “Popish”?

The solemn declaration of papal infallibility by the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) took place 150 years ago this week, on July 18, 1870.
The Meaning of Papal Infallibility
In the history of the RCC, there have been 21 “ecumenical councils,” the first being the Council of Nicaea in 325 and the last one was the Second Vatican Council in 1962~65.
Dictionary.com explains that the ecumenical councils of the RCC are “convoked and presided over by the pope and composed of cardinals, bishops, and certain other prelates whose decrees, when confirmed by the pope, become binding.”
The 20th ecumenical council of the RCC was held in 1869~70, and the most important decision made in that solemn meeting was about papal infallibility.
Succinctly, the doctrine of papal infallibility means that when the Pope speaks “ex cathedra” (from the papal chair) on matters of faith and morals, by the power of the Holy Spirit that pronouncement is unfailingly without error.
Since that time, the only example of an ex cathedra decree took place in 1950, when Pope Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as an article of faith.
The Rejection of Papal Infallibility
It goes without saying, perhaps, that there has been universal rejection of the doctrine of papal infallibility by Protestants. In some circles, the response to the Catholic assertion of infallibility led to an emphasis on the inerrancy of the Bible, dubbed the “paper Pope” by some.
But there has also been some opposition within the Roman Catholic Church. One hundred years after the declaration of papal infallibility at Vatican I, Hans Küng wrote a book entitled Infallible? An Inquiry (published in 1971).
Several years later, in 1979, Küng was stripped of his license to teach as a Roman Catholic theologian, although he was able to continue teaching as a tenured professor of ecumenical theology at the University of Tübingen until his retirement in 1996.
The one example of the use of papal infallibility, the bodily taking up of Mary, the mother of Jesus, into Heaven at the end of her earthly life, tends to strengthen the non-Catholic rejection of the dogma.
Still, papal infallibility remains a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church. 
The Tendency toward “Popishness”
“Popish” is an offensive term that has from time to time been used by non-Catholics to refer derisively to the Roman Catholic Church.
But it is also sometimes used in a derogatory sense meaning to act or speak in a manner similar to the pope—a usage that is based on the common misunderstanding of the meaning of papal infallibility, that is, thinking the Pope is always right in whatever he says.
Some of us have strong ideas or beliefs that we think are absolutely right. Holding on to those ideas or beliefs despite strong counterarguments can cause one to be thought of or criticized as being “popish.”
There is nothing wrong with having strong ideas/beliefs, though. Michael Polanyi, one of my favorite philosophers, in his magnum opus Personal Knowledge (1958) referred to what he called “heuristic passion,” which then is turned into “persuasive passion.”
But Polanyi’s main emphasis is that all knowledge is “personal knowledge.” Consequently, we must always admit the possibility that we might be wrong.
We can avoid being “popish” if we keep in mind the paradoxical situation we are in: because of our heuristic passion we often are certain we are right and seek by persuasive passion to convince others of the truth we have embraced; nevertheless, we must acknowledge that, indeed, we might be wrong.
That’s how you, and I, can keep from being “popish.”

14 comments:

  1. Oh yes Leroy, Polanyi one of my formative authors! Forgive me for having (!) to share this quote [Personal Knowledge p.144, (1964 Harper edition):

    “We draw here a distinction between two kinds of error, namely, *scientific guesses* which have turned out to be *mistaken*, and *unscientific guesses* which are not only false, but *incompetent*.” [emphasis original]

    My sympathies are with Dr. Fauci and the scientific/medical professionals!

    Shalom, Dick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dick, for sharing this.

      Of all my Thinking Friends, you are one of perhaps only a few who have read and properly appreciated the work of Polanyi.

      Delete
  2. As you know Leroy, I grew up in the same Southern Baptist church as you and if I can remember that far back we didn't think too highly of Catholics.
    Since maturing and being in the Word(which teaches Love),I have become Loving of All of GOD's
    Creatures.
    I think we'll have to wait and see about the Pope and the Catholic church?
    I realize there has been some negative interpretations of the Pope and Catholic church in the book of Revelation, but that too is subject to different interpretations.
    I noticed in your Blog you didn't Give a clear statement to where you stood on this issue?
    I think we would All like to know of your interpretation!
    Blessings,
    John(Tim)Carr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Tim, I have high regard for Pope Francis and for the movement of the Catholic Church in recent years toward the rejection of war and even the traditional Catholic teaching about "just war." I also have high regard for Catholic theologians such as Hans Küng, whose books I used as textbooks when I taught at Rockhurst University from 2006~2015. So my attitude toward Catholics now is considerably different from when we were growing up as Baptists in northwest Missouri.

      But, like most Protestants--and some Catholic like Hans Küng--I do not believe the dogma of papal infallibility is correct, and as I say in my book "Fed Up with Fundamentalism," I also disagree with the conservative evangelical belief in the inerrancy of the Bible.

      Delete
  3. Comments from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for your observations on papal infallibility.

    "I do not believe anyone is infallible, so I am very skeptical of the doctrine of papal infallibility. The adoption of this doctrine by the First Vatican Council in 1870 led almost immediately to the formation of the Union of Utrecht, which united several pre-existing Catholic (i.e., "Old Catholic") dissident groups. Not only do Old Catholics reject the doctrine of papal infallibility, they allow, even encourage, their clergy to be married, and they ordain women.

    "One group, which until 2003, was a member of the Union of Utrecht is the Polish National Catholic church. The Chicago group broke away from St. Hegwig Roman Catholic parish after a violent confrontation in 1895. They built a magnificent cathedral in 1931, which is only three blocks from St. Hedwig, but the group was forced, because of maintenance costs, to sell their building in 1983 to the Covenant Presbyterian church. (St. Hedwig is also a magnificent building.)"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eric, for this information about the Union of Utrecht, which I didn't know anything about. For some reason, I have never learned much about the "Old Catholic" groups.

      Delete
  4. Brief, interest comments from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky:

    "Well said, Leroy. 'Popish' suits Trump better than it does Francis, doesn’t it?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking Friend Truett Baker in Arizona sent these comments this morning:

    "Knowing your passion about Fundamentalism, I'm surprised you didn't make that application in your latest 'popish' blog. I have a former missionary friend in Springfield, MO, who once said regarding theological issues, 'I explain what I believe to be true and then I always add, "but I could be wrong."' I have always appreciated that coming from this very credible, spiritual man."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Truett, for your comments. Perhaps I should have said more when I mentioned "paper Pope," which I intended to imply my rejection of that idea as well as of the doctrine of papal infallibility of the RCC. I write in rejection of the idea of the inerrancy of the Bible in my book "Fed Up with Fundamentalism," as you know.

      Delete
  6. Leroy, Our alma mater, William Jewell College, was crypto-Catholic. The mascot was the CARDINAL, and revered past presidents were John PRIEST Greene and Walter POPE Binns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Willett Newheart wrote the last comment.

      Delete
  7. I love Dick Wilson's distinction between "scientific guesses" and "unscientific guesses." That sounds like a great start to a work on philosophy of science. One is moved by new evidence, the other by new gut feelings! Guess which one rules America right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post. Like you, I don't believe in the doctrine of infallibility. I was rather disappointed in Francis' seeming to slam the door shut on the ordination of women, and he doesn't seem to be too quick to ordain married men either. Until the RCC does ordain women and married men, I don't think things are going to change much, tragically, re sexual abuse cases. So, in both respects, I don't find him very ecumencial-in spite of all the hoopla of his visit to Lund, nothing very important has happened. The Vatican remains an "old boys club" and does everything in its power to keep it that way it seems.

    It's been several years ago, but I too have read Hans Küng's On Being a Christian and Infallible? An Inquiry, which I, for the most part agreed with. Indeed, ironically, at times I even thought him to be more Lutheran than some Lutherans. If I recall correctly, in his Infallible book, he states that only God is infallible.

    ReplyDelete