Friday, April 10, 2020

Thinking about Triage

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, triage means “the sorting of and allocation of treatment to patients and especially battle and disaster victims according to a system of priorities designed to maximize the number of survivors.” In a broader sense, triage can refer to choosing who will live and who will die in crisis situations.
Triage and the Covid-19 Pandemic
The April 4 issue of The Economist includes a short article titled “Triage under trial.” Already by then, in the U.S. and Europe many doctors were “faced with terrible decisions about how to allocate scarce resources such as beds, intensive care, and ventilators.”
The practice of utilitarian triage was suggested as the best solution, that is, using resources (medical staff, supplies, and equipment) for “the patients who have the greatest chances of successful treatment, and who have the greatest life expectancy.”
The article concludes that “humans tend to be inclined to treat others according to need and their chances of survival. That framework seems broadly morally acceptable. Even so, it will involve many heart-wrenching decisions along the way.”
We can hope that during the current covid-19 pandemic, triage, if or when necessary, will be implemented in this way rather than giving precedence to those who are wealthier or more socially prominent to the neglect and detriment of those who are poor and disadvantaged. 
Triage in The Devil’s Arithmetic
At sundown two days ago, on April 8, the Jewish Passover began, and for many Jews it began with the Seder meal, an elaborate ritual based on recounting the Jewish deliverance from captivity in Egypt.
The Devil’s Arithmetic, the 1988 juvenile historical novel by Jane Yolen and the 1999 movie by the same name, begins with an extended Jewish family in New York celebrating the Passover Seder meal together.
I recently read the book and watched the movie after hearing that Carl, my 12-year-old grandson, is going to be reading the book, which evidently has been used in middle school curricula for many years. (I now wonder about the wisdom of having children of that age reading a book with so much violence and suffering/death.)
The Nazis in the Jewish work/death camps used a form of negative triage to decide who to kill, not who to save. Those who appeared to be the sickest or the weakest were chosen for the oven and to go up the smokestack.
Terrible triage, indeed!
Triage and Good Friday
As today is Good Friday for Christians around the world (except for the Orthodox Church that celebrates it a week later this year), let’s consider a type of triage decision that led to the death of Jesus.
According to John 11:48, the religious/political leaders of the Jews in Jerusalem were worried about the growing popularity of Jesus. They fretted that because of Jesus, “ the Romans will come and take away both our temple and our people” (CEB).
In response to that expressed fear, we see the high priest Caiaphas’s employment of “triage.” He asserted that “it is better for you that one man die for the people rather than the whole nation be destroyed” (v. 50).
The Roman rulers were always on guard against subversion—and the Jewish leaders were, probably rightly, afraid that Jesus would be increasingly seen as subversive. So according to John 11:53, “From that day on they plotted to kill him”—and the plot succeeded as Jesus was crucified on what Christians consider the first Good Friday.
So, note that Jesus was not crucified by the Jews because of religious reasons; he was crucified by the Romans for political reasons. And, according to the verses we have looked at in John 11, the Jewish leaders sought Jesus’ death in order to keep the Jewish nation from being destroyed.
Caiaphas’s triage worked—at least for a few decades.
However, Jesus’ death turned out to have a whole new level of significance that neither the Romans nor the Jews in Jerusalem dreamed of.
Yes, today is Good Friday—but Sunday’s coming. Happy Easter!

18 comments:

  1. Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago was again the first one to comment on this new post--and it was shorter than usual:

    "Thanks, Leroy, as always, for your observations. I am no expert on triage; I try to avoid it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your pithy comment, Eric.

      Yes, I hope and all of my Thinking Friends (and family) will be able to avoid any triage situation. But if it should come down to a choice of who gets adequate treatment (a ventilator etc.) and who doesn't because of a lack of equipment, I wonder if those of us who are older (say, 70+) should or would volunteer to give that equipment to those who are younger--or would we leave it up to those who make difficult triage decisions?

      Delete
  2. Then I received another brief comment from local Thinking Friend Vern Barnet:

    "On why Jesus was crucified -- thanks for adding this corrective to simplistic themes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vern, for your comment.

      There are certainly many levels on which the crucifixion of Jesus can be understood, but it has long seemed to me that it is extremely unfair that the Jews have through the centuries been castigated for Jesus' death with little blame placed on the ruling Romans.

      Even in the Gospel of John there is ambivalence about this matter, but more than ever before, as I was reading John 11 recently I realized that at least on one level the Jewish religious leaders sought to have Jesus killed as a pragmatic way to stave off Roman violence against the Jews in Jerusalem and the surrounding area.

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for adding this lens of triaging to my understanding of the death of Jesus. I grew up in a wing of the Mennonite world, Lancaster County, PA, that had been saturated with Moody-style revivalism.

    Revivalism of course was deeply immersed in the substitutionary atonement theory. The whole point of Jesus' life was setting him up to be a grand substitute - he pays the price for our sins and dies for us so we don't have to die.

    With these spectacles on our eyes, we read all possible scripture references to support the theory. I always thought of this verse as a teaching about substitutionary atonement: “It is better for you that one man die for the people rather than the whole nation be destroyed” (v. 50)." Better that one man, Jesus, die for our sins than that we all die.

    Now, these many decades later, your blog enables me to see that John here almost certainly gives simply a factual report of the dynamics, rather than asserting a theological point. The religious leaders were making a pragmatic calculation, triaging the welfare of many higher than that of this rabble rouser, who had already annoyed them in so many ways with his pointed criticisms of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ron, for your helpful comments. At the very time you were posting your comments, I was responding to Vern above, but what you wrote expresses more fully the point I was trying to make.

      Also, I find it interesting that your growing up immersed in the Mennonite world of Lancaster County, PA, was very similar to my upbringing in the Baptist world of northwest Missouri.

      Delete
  4. Like Leroy I grew up a Baptist. I was influenced by Texas and Oklahoma pastors who came to New Mexico and started "mission churches". While at Midwestern Seminary I was influenced by Bill Ratliff and Bill Stancil to take another look at the humanity of Jesus and his walk to Good Friday. Ron it is good to be reminded of that journey and our jounery this Good Friday and the glory of Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Frank. You had good professors in Dr. Ratcliff and Dr. Stancil.

      Delete
  5. I'm 81 and think if only enough equipment for me or a younger/ healthier person-I would sacrafice my life to Save the other person.
    Paul said, " for me to die is gain."
    Like your opinion if I would be doing the right thing because I want to do GOD's will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is no third option, it seems to me that in most situations for a much older person to give scarce life-saving equipment to a younger person would be the right thing to do.

      Delete
  6. Local Thinking Friend Bob Leeper responds to almost all of my blog posts, asking sometimes that I not post his comments here on the blogsite. But this morning's comments were not restricted, and I am happy to share them with you:

    "Thanks once again for triggering our deeper thought processes; we have become accustomed to The Season, without the deep thought you have presented. I had not thought of the term TRIAGE in the murder of Jesus.

    "I list my religious preference (on any survey form) as None; but by my traditional up-bringing, I recognize the life of Jesus as pivotal to the world. Thanks again for doing your good research and analysis; good mind-stimulus for us accustomed to skimming along the superficial in life.

    "I once saw the rhetorical question posed: How would it have changed history, if a prison guard, deep inside the underground caverns, had simply slit the throat of Jesus somewhere out-of-the spotlight of public opinion. The apparent question being, would his advocacy for good loving treatment of fellow man be as resilient as it is today.

    "While I think Jesus likely was a wonderful community organizer, imparting love of humanity, I suspect he was a humanist who wholeheartedly love mankind; AND he put his ideals into action!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, for your thought-provoking comments.

      I don't ever remember hearing about what difference there would have been should Jesus have been killed by having his throat slit away from public view.

      While I want to think about this some more, my initial response is that it would have had a much different impact on history. Since Jesus was so much in the public eye, his public crucifixion had a much greater impact, I think, that his being killed in secret would have had. In addition, crucifixion was the Roman method of killing political enemies of Rome, so Jesus' death by those who considered him to be a political subversive or a revolutionary had a meaning that a secret killing would not have had.

      Delete
  7. Thinking Friend Virginia Hurt Belk in New Mexico shares these comments:

    "What an interesting comparison!

    "Our pastor's on-line sermon for Palm Sunday emphasized that we should not jump from Palms to Easter with out remembering the violence, suffering and trauma of the week which ends today in the crucifixion.

    "I was interested in your concerns that your grandson would need to read of much violence and suffering; since many many children younger than your grandson and Anne Frank's age suffered the trauma of the Holocaust, I think it is fitting. I am often angry that I never heard a word about the atrocities of that era until I was a sophomore in high school. My English teacher recommended the book to me and it changed my life. For me, ignorance is NOT bliss."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Virginia. I was hoping someone would mention what I wrote about "The Devil's Arithmetic."

      It seems to me that just because children younger than twelve have had to go through horrible things does not mean that it is wise for children to be needlessly introduced to such things. There are good reasons why some movies are rated as PG-13 (or R), and violence is one reason for such ratings. I am not sure why you or anyone younger than being a sophomore in high school needs to be told, especially in graphic detail, about the horrors of the Holocaust. People's emotional development vary greatly, but it seems to me that protecting children's "innocence" at least until their teen years is not a bad idea.

      Delete
  8. Maybe it is a little off the subject here, but the discussion about older people being willing to allow younger people to have access to limited medical resources reminds me of why I am a strong advocate of Death with Dignity or Compassion in Dying. I believe when I am no longer able to function on my own and would require extra care just to keep me alive I should be allowed to ease out and leave the resources for younger people who need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this is completely off the subject. In connection to the concept of triage, it seems highly questionable to me for so much money to be spent on keeping terminally ill patients alive during the last few weeks (or months) of their lives when there are so many people, especially children, in the world who are dying because of malnutrition, lack of access to clean water, and no access to even inexpensive medicine that would be life-saving for them.

      Delete
    2. Triage and Living Will... I remember my father having a patient come into the ER unconscious and a badly broken arm from a car wreck. He was terminal with less than a year to go probably. His bracelet said "Do Not Treat", not "Do Not Resuscitate". The arm was easily fixable at that point, which would have cause much less pain...

      He was a believer in the sacrificial atonement for the Lamb of God (not substitutionary), and that Christ died fairly quickly from massive, untreated trauma and bleeding out, not a heart broken by sin or rejection by His Father in Heaven.

      It was good for me to walk the Stations of the Cross before the icons yesterday with a good friend who is a Catholic Priest.

      (Today is a good day to once again sing the first two verses of "Low in the grave He lay" without the refrain, as we used to sing in our Methodist church at the end of Good Friday service.)

      Delete
    3. So did your father not set his broken arm? I would assume that the "Do Not Treat" bracelet referred to things more serious than a broken arm in a car wreck.

      Delete