Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Decline and Resurgence of Theological Liberalism

Chapter Two of my book The Limits of Liberalism, which I am updating and slightly revising this year, is titled “Contemporary Liberalism.” Please think with me about the decline and resurgence of theological liberalism, two of the matters discussed in that second chapter. 
From the cover of the 2010 book; the pictures (clockwise from the bottom right) are of Schleiermacher, Bushnell, and Rauschenbush (from Chapter One) and Marcus Borg (from Chapter Two)
The Decline
Liberal theology began to fall upon hard times in the 1920s. The widespread scope of the Great War (World War I) and the extensive suffering and carnage caused by that war called into serious question the central tenets of liberalism.
Those tenets included emphasis on the innate goodness of human beings, an optimistic view of social progress, and the intention to realize the kingdom of God in society through human effort.
European theologians such as Karl Barth and Emil Brunner began to develop a theology that avoided what they saw as the errors of the failed liberal theology of the time but that also affirmed some of the progressive elements in that theology.
That new emphasis was often called crisis theology in its beginning, but in the U.S. it came to be known mostly by the rather paradoxical name of neo-orthodox theology.
Reinhold Niebuhr was an American theologian who early began to question theological liberalism. His Moral Man and Immoral Society (1932) struck a blow at the optimistic view of humanity long held by liberalism.
My own theological education in the 1960s was largely shaped by neo-orthodox theology, which was regarded as the bulwark against both a failed fundamentalism and a failed liberalism.
Elsewhere, though, conservative theologians were criticizing neo-orthodoxy for being liberal, not acknowledging that it was a position developed in opposition to the liberal theology that had been prevalent in Germany.
The Resurgence
The resurgence of liberal theology began in the last half of the 1960s. In the following decades, that resurgence was seen in many active theologians, especially the three I have written about in Chapter Two of The Limits of Liberalism. (Two of them have died since the book was first published in 2010.)
Englishman John Hick was long an influential contemporary theological liberal, particularly in the fields of the philosophy of religion and religious pluralism. His writings have had considerable influence, and current Christian thinkers must seriously grapple with the issues he raised.
Among the important books by Hick (1922~2012) are God and the Universe of Faiths (1973), God Has Many Names (1980), and A Christian Theology of Religions (1995) as well as two that he edited: The Myth of God Incarnate (1977) and, with Paul F. Knitter, The Myth of Christian Uniqueness (1987).
It is probably safe to say that John Shelby Spong, a retired Episcopal bishop, has been the most widely read Christian liberal over the past thirty years. As Hick also did, much of his writing was done in opposition to fundamentalism. In fact, his bestselling book is Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism (1991).
Other significant books by Spong (b. 1931) are Why Christianity Must Change or Die (1998) and A New Christianity for a New World: Why Traditional Faith Is Dying and How a New Faith Is Being Born (2001).
While more moderate than the previous two, Marcus J. Borg is the third of the contemporary liberal leaders I have written about in Chapter Two. Borg (1942~2015) wrote in such an evenhanded and convincing manner that in some ways he is the most “dangerous” of the contemporary liberals.
From my perspective, Borg (1942~2015) is “ dangerous” because his moderate position is easy for non-liberals to accept even though his position contains some misleading aspects that threaten what has long been, and still generally is, widely considered to be orthodox theology.
Jesus, A New Vision (1987), to mention only one of Borg’s many books, contains much that should be affirmed. Still, I find much that is questionable in that book, as in many of his other books, and I refer to him several times in later chapters.
In chapters three and four, I look first at the appeals of liberalism and then consider the problems with liberalism, and I look forward to sharing blog posts about those chapters in the next two months.

11 comments:

  1. Local Thinking Friend Rob Carr sent me the following comments by email:

    "I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the contemplative writers of our era fit into the 'liberal/conservative' conversation.

    Just some names that come to mind: Underhill, Thomas Kelly, Merton, Foucault, Nouwen, Richard Foster, Keating, Rohr."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding to this morning's blog post, Rob. I am, of course, familiar, with all the people you mentioned, although I have read much more by some of them, especially Merton, Nouwen, and Rohr--all Catholics--than the others. But I don't recall mentioning any of them in either of my books. In general, I think that they all fit in what I call the "radiant center" in the final chapter of The Limits . . .  rather than being, in my opinion, too far to the right of the left. 

      Delete
    2. And then Rob responded,

      "Ah yes--the radiant center.

      "I like the term."

      Delete
  2. I am not a theologian, but have been a devout follower of Christ for a while. I have observed the variances/arguments of belief over the years, and have been called a fundamentalist by liberals, and a liberal by fundamentalists (those who openly identify a "fundamentalist"). In my mind, both are just forms of heretical/aberrant Christianism. Especially the militant versions. Thankfully there have been many others of goodwill despite their aberrations or heresies. I don't really hold to either, but more to the doctrines of historic Orthodoxy - but even some Orthodox have called me a heretic. Oh well, such is life. I will hold to my beliefs and evangelize, and offer a hand of goodwill like the loving liberals and fundamentalists and orthodox. (I do remember a few of the names from my college course "Problems of Philosophy".)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comments from local Thinking Friend Bob Leeper:

    "Leroy: What a walk-down-memory-lane your message has triggered in me; dating back to a time about 1941 perhaps when I had never heard of Fosdick, but the screeching Assembly of God preachers were shouting it at us (I was age 6 about then) about the fear of Modernists and Modernism. My uncle then was a professor at Central Bible Institute, the Assembly’s school in Springfield Mo, and we always stopped by his house on that campus any time we went to Springfield for medical appointments. I guess those age-6-seeds were the eventual triggering of my lengthy decision to jettison the entire topic; long before I started self-identifying as a Humanist. Thanks again Leroy for triggering these brain-travels.

    "Yesterday I googled Alan Jackson hymn 'Precious Memories' and heard it (and many other) of the old conservative evangelical hymns of my early childhood and youth; good memories."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm from a traditional paradigm and just don't get it. I have seen it and heard it in various venues since my youth, but it doesn't fit.

    I'm glad Bob brought up the hymns of the faith. In my early religious pursuit (sojourn) I enjoyed the work of theologian Ian Anderson of Scottland as he captured the faith he had observed. Two works, both called "Aqualung" (one a lyrical piece and one a poem) capture the myth of modern religion/God well. The other works just put on the icing. Roger Waters of England was much the same.

    I remember some of the missionaries and professors who did good, but whose theology leaned mythical. They did seem to run afoul of some colleagues who were more orthodox in belief. Some were content to serve, but others wanted and promoted their less orthodox theology. (Is Orthodoxy just a form of fundamentalist theology?) Many have since changed denominations, but many have also punted their faith and are now agnostic - Southern Baptist to Quaker, plus others (but still friends with whom I communicate).

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Facebook friend John R. King posted on FB the following comments about this article:

    "It has been easy for me to see the so-called dangers of fundamentalism because it is a view that I do not hold. It is harder for me to see the so-called dangers of liberalism; since (forgive my characterization borrowed from others), I am a flaming liberal.

    "However, in recent years I have come to view no set of ideas as dangerous. To listen and understand all views opens myself to the diversity of humanity and increase my ability to embrace all. I think the greatest danger is to not think for oneself.

    "I do think, historically, liberalism in general has been overly optimistic about humans.

    "So with the goal of an encircling embrace, I accept and seek wisdom in all perspectives. However, I continue to live with the near impossible contradiction to acknowledge my particular identity and thoughts.

    "Schleiermacher and Tillich set me on my path to liberalism. I never looked to Spong, Hicks, Borg. Cobb, Gomes, Hodgson, Kaufman, Macquarrie, Girard, and Clayton were all more to my taste.

    "While I am not sure he would completely fall into the category of a liberal, I think Hans Küng is the greatest theologian of the 20th century."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your thought-provoking comments, John.

    I have great admiration for Hans Küng, and I would certainly include him in the "radiant center" that I wrote about in the last chapter of "The Limits of Liberalism," although he would certainly be toward the left side of that broad center. I also have great appreciation for Paul Tillich, whom I also would like to include in the radiant center--but I couldn't include Schleiermacher there.

    Except for Hick (not Hicks), Spong and Borg were writing more for the general public than for scholars. The ones you mention, except perhaps for Gomes and maybe Hodgson, were writing more for scholars and I have read them all to varying degrees--although I have read only a little by Girard and keep thinking I should read him more.

    In Chapter Two I have more about Clayton than the others in your list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you fail mention any feminist or liberation theologians. What about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this good question, for, indeed, I did not mention those theologies in this chapter. Actually, there is a rather wide spectrum of feminist and liberation theologies, and some are by evangelical thinkers as well as by theologically liberal ones. In many ways, feminist and/or liberation theologies are often more an expression of political or social liberalism than theological liberalism.

      Delete
  8. Let me begin with irony. Such as the irony that even with COVID19 restrictions, it still takes me three days to answer your blog. Then there is the irony that I read an email from Ed Chasteen that included the sentence " I wanted to prove that my lifelong belief in the innate goodness of every person on the planet was actually true to what I had learned in church." Which was followed by the irony that the very next email I read was yours, which lead me to the following sentence on page 1 of your Chapter 2: "The widespread scope of the Great War (World War I) and the extensive suffering and carnage caused by that war called into serious question the central tenets of liberalism: emphasis on the innate goodness of human beings, an optimistic view of social progress, and the intention to realize the kingdom of God in society through human effort." Who knew that "innate goodness" could be ironic? Not that I am surprised, as a religious humanist I accept that part of walking humbly before my God is opening my heart to irony.

    Let me add a name to the section in Chapter 2 about Islamic liberalism, Irshad Manji. I saw her several years ago doing an interview with Charlie Rose (I hope she did not have any "me too" problems with him!) I then ordered her book, "Allah, Liberty and Love: The Courage to Reconcile Faith and Freedom." I was so impressed I brought it up in Sunday School, and my copy has been spreading the love very since. Which reminds me of an interesting interview by Hasan Minhaj on Patriot Act with Bernie Sanders. Minhaj does a late-night style show similar to Seth Meyers or Trevor Noah; for instance, as a native-born comedian, he once 'complained' about all the immigrant comedians, such as Trevor Noah! Turns out there were quite a few (here's looking at you, John Oliver). Anyway, Minhaj had a sitdown with Sanders, and accused him of being "Muslim-ish." Sanders smiled and replied something to the effect "In all my long career I have been called many things, but I don't think that included "Muslim-ISH!!"

    As I see it, both fundamentalism and liberalism can be captured by state religion, which can render both malignant. When faith is free to explore the depths of its being, faith can transcend both theological and even religious boundaries. I have learned from Manji and Minhaj, just as many non-Christians have learned from Jesus. If we are sharing with, rather than threatening towards each other, we can all become better in our faith. Some may choose to jump faiths. If those jumps are free, informed, and not coerced, all is well. Just remember that sometimes it will be a Christian becoming Hari Krishna, not the other way around.

    Chapter 2 was a fascinating read. You refreshed me on some, and introduced me to others. As a thank you, of sorts, let me point you to the paragraph linked to footnote 37. The second sentence seems garbled.

    ReplyDelete