Monday, September 30, 2024

In Gratitude for Jimmy Carter

It was in March of last year that I started drafting this article. I had just heard that ex-President Carter had gone into hospice care. I was preparing to post an article about him as soon as possible after his passing—but he is still alive and has recently said he has to live long enough to vote for Kamala Harris! So, I am posting this on the day before his 100th birthday. 

Jimmy Carter in 2021

James Earl Carter, Jr., who “everybody” knows as Jimmy, is the only U.S. President I have shaken hands with—and on two separate occasions. Although not agreeing with him on everything, I have highly admired him for many decades now and am grateful for his long life and meritorious work.

Although I have mentioned Jimmy in several blog posts, the most I wrote about him was in the article posted on the day before his 90th birthday, on September 30, 2014 (see here). Now near the end of his long, productive life, I am writing mainly regarding two important emphases he made as POTUS.

Part of what I have included in this post is based on Randall Balmer’s 2014 book Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter. While having great respect for the author, I did not particularly like the title of that book: I thought the term redeemer applied most aptly to Jesus Christ.

Recently, though, I read “Redeemer President,” the fifth chapter of Balmer’s book and was quite favorably impressed with what he wrote there—and I understood what he meant by Jimmy being a “redeemer.”

As Balmer explains, it is hard to imagine Carter being elected president “had it not been for Richard Nixon.” As the new president took the oath of office in January 1977, he “represented a clean break with the recent past, an opportunity to redeem the nation” (pp. 76, 77).

Early in 1977, Carter called the nation’s attention to the energy crisis. That was particularly in his April 18 “Address to the Nation on Energy” (see here). It was in that speech that he declared, [“”]

Our decision about energy will test the character of the American people and the ability of the President and the Congress to govern. This difficult effort will be the "moral equivalent of war."

His early recognition of the growing ecological problem was noted in what I called “the most important book you’ve never read” in this March 2023 blog post).

William Cotton, the author of that book, Overshoot (1980), mentions Carter favorably several times in his powerful book and writes most about Carter’s speech in July 1979. The title of that address was “Crisis of Confidence,” but it became known as his “malaise speech.” (Click here to read the transcript.)

That 1979 talk was an important one—and was basically correct. But it was not well received and was detrimental to Carter politically—and it was one of several reasons why he was soundly defeated in the 1980 election.

In a perceptive February 2023 article, though, David French wrote “The Wisdom and Prophecy of Carter’s Malaise Speech” (see here). The eminent NYTimes columnist averred that “Carter’s greatest speech was delivered four decades too soon.”

Carter’s emphasis on human rights was another key element of his presidency. Balmer wrote that “Carter sought to nudge the United States away from the reactive anticommunism of the Cold War and toward a policy that was more collaborative, less interventionist, and sensitive above all to human rights” (p. 79).

That emphasis was grounded in Carter’s Christian faith. “Jimmy Carter’s religious values were never far from his presidency or his policy” is the title of a March 2023 post on ReligionNews.com, and “human rights” is the first topic of several mentioned in that perceptive article.**

World peace is the second topic given in the above piece. Carter is quoted as saying, “There’s no doubt in my mind that the greatest violator of human rights that we know is armed conflict.” Consequently, “Carter’s presidency made the biblical concept of shalom seem less of a distant dream.”

These are just some of the reasons I have deep gratitude for Jimmy Carter and honor him on this day before his 100th birthday. My double hope is that he will still be alive on January 20 and lucid enough to enjoy fully VP Harris’s inauguration as the 47th POTUS.

_____

**That article (found here) was written by Lovett H. Weems, Jr., who for 18 years was president of Saint Paul School of Theology in Kansas City before moving to a faculty position at Wesley Seminary in Washington, D.C., in 2003.

Note: I learned from Heather Cox Richardson’s September 27 newsletter that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which has provided invaluable help before, during, and following last week’s landfall of Hurricane Helene, was initially created under President Jimmy Carter in 1979. In that piece, Richardson also writes that Project 2025, calls for slashing FEMA’s budget and returning disaster responses to states and localities. 

 

18 comments:

  1. Charles Kiker here. I have often said that Jimmy Carter was too good to be president. And by "good" I mean moral. Not some holier than thou pseudo-goodnees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Charles. I'm not sure Carter was "too good to be president," but it is probably correct to say that he was too good to be re-elected. I still think it was so regrettable that so many evangelical Christians and Southern Baptists, such as you and I were then, turned away from Jimmy and supported Ronald Regan instead. To a large extent, I think it was Carter's honesty and "goodness" that led to his defeat in 1980,

      In the blog article, I mentioned the fifth chapter of Randall Balmer's book. His next chapter is "Endangered Evangelical" and then the seventh chapter is "His Own Received Him Not." I think yoiu would enjoy reading Balmer's book, which perhaps you would be able to check out from a local library as I did.

      Delete
  2. Greetings Dr. Seat, Undoubtedly, he is a wonderful Christian and example for today's politics and looking forward for his 100th birthday. Praying for him and his life and glad for him. Praying for this year's election as we give all to the Lord as we look forward and not backward as we are not going back. Blessings from Tokyo and hopefully we can continue praying for our political leaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steven, for reading this blog article and for posting your comments here. I much appreciate your position of looking forward and saying "we are not going back." It distresses me, though, that so many Southern Baptists are poised to vote for going back to a failed president who wants to take the country back to what would make things worse for so many people in the U.S. Yes, let's continuing to pray for our political leaders and for the election just five weeks from now.

      Delete
  3. Local Friend David Nelson shares these comments:

    :"I share your appreciation for Jimmy Carter. He is one of the finest human beings that ever lived in the White House, in my opinion. He was generous instead of ruthless, compassionate instead of self-centered, and remained faithful to his values instilled in him at a very young age."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, David. At the time of the election in 1976, I was not as strong a supporter for Carter as you and I were for George McGovern in 1972, but my appreciation for him grew through the years. And while he did not have the most successful presidency in U.S. history, I think you are correct in saying he was "one of the finest human beings that ever lived in the White House."

      Delete
  4. Here are brief comments from Thinking Friend Wade Paris in southwest Missouri:

    "I share your admiration and appreciation for Jimmy Carter. I hope your optimism regarding Kamala Harris is prophetic."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Wade. As I have often said, though, I try to be realistic rather than either optimistic or pessimistic, and as things stand now I think that, realistically, Harris has the best chance of being elected. Of course, there is much that could change over the next five weeks. And while I think there ample reason to believe that she will get the most votes, as Hillary did in 2016, the number of electoral votes will likely be much closer. But unless there are desperate--and unlawful--measures taken by Trump and his MAGA supporters, I don't see why she shouldn't get as many, or even more, electoral votes than Biden got in 2020.

      Delete
  5. I just now received the following comments from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky:

    "I share your admiration of Jimmy, Leroy. I got to know him best when I taught at Emory, and I have great respect for his integrity when he left the SBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dr. Hinson, for your comments. I would like to know more about your personal talks with Jimmy at Emory U. I mentioned shaking hands with him on two different occasions, but one time when I was walking across the Emory campus--and I think that was the only time I was even on that campus--I happened to meet Jimmy walking the other direction. I spoke to him, but decided not to bother him by trying to engage him in conversation.

      I certainly agree with your respect for him as he chose to leave the Southern Baptist Convention. You and I, of course, have had that same experience.

      Delete
  6. And now this from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Carter is one of the most decent, perhaps the most decent, man to ever serve as president. And whatever one may think of his presidency, his work as an ex-president is particularly admirable.

    "Carter's loss to Ronald Reagan in 1980 was caused by economic issues, over which Carter had little control, and the Iranian hostage crisis, which he may have caused by allowing the former shah of Iran to come to the U S for medical treatment. I have no doubt, however, that Carter always tried to act in the best interests of the U S and its people, unlike a certain current candidate for president.

    "Carter has managed to live longer than any other president. The elder Bush lived to be 94, and Jerry Ford lived to 93. The oldest among those still living, aside from Carter, is Joe Biden, who is about to become an ex-president. The next oldest is Donald Trump.The youngest one is Barack Obama."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as always, Eric, for your pertinent comments. I especially appreciate you mentioning Carter welcoming the Shah of Iran. In the 2014 blog post I made at the time of Carter's 90th birthday (which I was sad to see, not even two people have clicked on the link to read), I wrote that "the biggest mistake Carter made while in the White House was his support of the Shah of Iran. On New Year’s Eve in 1977, President Carter toasted the Shah at a state dinner in Tehran, calling him 'an island of stability' in the troubled Middle East."

      Delete
  7. Carter is certainly the greatest of former Presidents. His peers seem to do little except vacation and make money. And most of the rest of the little done seems to be more politics. However, he was also in the vanguard of neoliberalism with his deregulation efforts such as with trucking and airlines. He did not do enough tax-and-spend to avoid being the second one-term President in a row. As for the "island of stability in the troubled middle east," Carter's blindness on the Shah is nothing compared with Biden's blindness on Netanyahu. My prediction for the middle east is that he who lives by the two-thousand pound bomb shall die by the two-thousand pound bomb. Things are likely to get far worse before they get better. Indeed, farflung potential American targets may well get hit as hard as Israel itself.Generations of potential terrorists have been primed for future recruiters. Genocide has rarely been so blatantly bold, but we will double -down more likely than repent. As Sir Isaac Newton explained it, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." The Third Law of Motion applies to more than physics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday afternoon I received the following comments from local Thinking Friend Ken Chatlos:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for your comments on Carter. Well done on a president I admire. (But like the rest of us, not without faults.)

    "Not too long ago I read a long biography of Carter, which gave considerable attention to Carter's activities after he stepped down from the presidency. Even more impressive than when he was president. I include below the book and a brief summary of what was in the book.

    Alter, Jonathan. "His Very Best; Jimmy Carter, A Life" (2020). Over 1000 pages of text, and over 100 pages of sources. An impressive biography of Carter, which takes the reader through his childhood, his time at the Naval Academy and the Navy, his courtship of Rosalynn, their extended family and church connections, his dropping out of the navy to take over the peanut farm, his role as governor of Georgia, his campaign and presidency, his work after the presidency, in which he works hard to make the world a better place, and back to his old community, church, and health-related issues. Really well-informed and thought through. Carter was bright, energetic, and maybe difficult to work with. I’m not sure the author understands Baptists well.

    "Note: I learned that the shift of Baptists to Republicanism started well before Trumpism."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking Friend Charles Kiker, now living in Texas, sent additional comments by email late this morning:

    "It seems to me that Jimmy Carter encountered a 'perfect storm' of bad luck. Most of which he had little control over. The oil shortage and high gasoline prices; the Iranian hostage crisis; his effort to rescue the hostages thwarted by a sandstorm in the desert. Any sitting president candidate has difficulty overcoming bad luck at home."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leroy, is it not true that Carter indicated he was "holding on" to vote against You-Know-Who in November?~ Friend Rick from Japan days 1985-86. Now in Cross River, NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy recently to make contact again (after a gap of many years ) with "Friend Rick," whom I got to know when he was teaching for a year in Fukuoka City, Japan. He tried to post the above comments directly here, but like some others, he was unable to do that. (As I have said to others who have had that same problem, I am sorry for the difficulty but I don't know of anything I can do about it.)

      With regard to the above, a few minutes ago I sent an email to RIck saying, "From what I read, Carter said he was 'holding on' in order to vote for Kamala, which he surely will be able to do as it is just a few days before early voting is possible in Georgia.

      Delete