Thursday, March 14, 2024

Tarnishing the Name of Jesus

It was a week ago tonight that Pres. Biden delivered the annual State of the Union (SOTU) message. His address was widely applauded by Democrats and by the mainstream media—and, not surprisingly, panned by Republicans and by right-wing news outlets who castigate the “lamestream” media.

This post, though, is about the Republican rebuttal speech given by Alabama Senator Katie Britt. 

Katie Boyd Britt (b. 1982) was elected the junior Senator from Alabama in 2022, defeating Democrat Will Boyd, a Black Baptist pastor. She received nearly 67% of the vote.

I didn’t remember hearing the name of Sen. Britt before I saw that she would give the rebuttal after the SOTU address, so I looked her up on Wikipedia and elsewhere.

In a July 2021 interview, Britt stated, “Jesus Christ is the most important thing in life, and that should be the foundation that everything else comes around.” I certainly would not disagree with that, but surely such a statement should include telling the truth and not bearing false witness.

Earlier this week, the Los Angeles Times candidly stated that “the woman sitting in the kitchen with the cross glittering on her neck lied.” After listening (on Friday) to her Thursday night rebuttal speech, that clearly seems to be the case.

And given what she has said about Jesus Christ and the sparkling (diamond-studded?) cross around her neck as she gave her speech, it seemed to me that she was tarnishing the name of Jesus.

No wonder more and more people in the U.S. are leaving the Christian faith and joining the “nones.”

Sen. Boyd’s rebuttal speech was criticized and critiqued by a wide variety of voices. For example, here is part of what historian Heather Cox Richardson (HCR) wrote about Katie’s talk in her March 8 newsletter:

Sitting in a kitchen rather than in a setting that reflected her position in one of the nation’s highest elected offices, Britt conspicuously wore a necklace with a cross and spoke in a breathy, childlike voice as she wavered between smiles and the suggestion she was on the verge of tears. 

At the close of HRC’s letter, I first learned about Jess Piper and her Substack posts under the name “The View from Rural Missouri.” Her March 8 “view” was titled “The Fundie Baby Voice.”*

But it wasn’t the voice that most disturbed me. It was the lies that Sen. Britt told in that problematic voice.

In his remarks at the Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday evening, Jimmy Kimmel made these remarks about Emma Stone, who had just been awarded the Best Actress Oscar: “Emma, you are so unbelievably great in Poor Things. Emma played an adult woman with the brain of a child, like the lady who gave the rebuttal to the State of the Union on Thursday night.”**

Sen. Boyd did her best to harm Pres. Biden and to lessen his chances of winning a second term as POTUS. She may have done the Republicans more harm than good, however.

I was saddened by the touching story she told of talking last year with the girl who had been a victim of sex trafficking—and then off-put by her blaming the President for that tragic event. And then I was incensed when it turned out the incident in question took place when George W. Bush was President!

On Monday, Washington Post associate editor and columnist Karen Tumulty wrote that the “horrific story” Katie told, “at least by implication, turned out to be a big fat lie.”

Tumulty went on to note that the “Post’s fact-checker Glenn Kessler awarded Britt four Pinocchios for the way she twisted this tragic story to make a cravenly partisan point.”

Despite her later efforts to walk back what she had said, there was no way her listeners could have known she was talking about an incident that took place more than a decade ago. Even if it wasn’t a blatant lie, it was highly deceitful and told with the intent of harming the President.

It is quite clear, though, that in spite of her prominent display of a cross on a necklace and pious talk, she tarnished the name of Jesus and did the cause of Christ far more harm than good.

_____

  * Jess Piper lives in (or near) Maryville, Missouri, which is about 35 miles from my hometown. In 2022 she ran as a progressive Democrat to become a Representative in the Missouri legislature, but she was soundly defeated in the district that twice voted for Trump by 80% or so. I am now receiving her Substack posts and have had email exchanges with her this week.

** This was a powerful putdown of Sen. Britt’s rebuttal speech to those who had seen Emma Stone's Oscar-winning performance in Poor Things, but I do not recommend that movie except to insightful, mature adults.

14 comments:

  1. Here is a link to the recent HuffPost article (posted on their website again this morning) about Jess Piper's Substack post regarding Sen. Britt:

    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fundie-baby-voice_l_65eb6b2fe4b05ec1ccd9e9b9

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected more comments on today's post, and there will surely be more later, but at this point the only comments I've received are from local Thinking Friend Bruce Morgan, who sent them by email before 7 a.m. and gave me permission to post them here:

    "I’ve seen Katie Britt’s performance and Emma Stone’s performance (adults only), and I’m taking Emma Stone any day for her memorable and high quality work as an actress. Katie Britt lacked authenticity, honesty, and integrity, and is not a good standard bearer for the Christian faith."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using Jesus as a way to gain political influence is awful. You could see through her presentation of herself on t.v. Hopefully others will too.

      Delete
  3. Here, now, are comments received a few minutes ago from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for your comments about Sen. Britt's rebuttal of the SOTU address. I heard parts of the SOTU, but I went to bed before Sen. Britt appeared so I did not hear her rebuttal.

    "Nonetheless, I often wonder what version of the Gospels these evangelical (or fundamentalist) Christians are reading. I once asked an evangelical Christian about Mark 10:21 (paralleled in Matthew and Luke) in which a wealthy man is told to sell his possessions and give the proceeds to the poor. I was told that the verse does not really apply according to some strange logic I do not remember and therefore Jesus' exhortation could essentially be ignored. I thought, 'How convenient.'

    "Another time I was at an evangelical Bible study where we were told that we should live righteously so that we could go to heaven. I responded by saying that one does not live righteously in order to go to heaven, but rather one lives righteously because that is how one is supposed to live. There was stunned silence in the room. Living righteously is not a quid pro quo; it is an obligation.

    "To me, the message of Jesus is that we should live humbly and simply with compassion for the poor, the marginalized, and the less fortunate. Unfortunately, not too many Christians appear to live in that way, and I am certainly guilty myself of falling short of what Jesus has exhorted us to do. It's ironic, but the ones who scream the loudest about their Christian faith are often the ones who seem to be the most disconnected from what Jesus actually taught.

    "I am looking forward to reading your blog scheduled for March 20."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just now I received these brief comments from Thinking Friend Virginia Belk in New Mexico:

    "Thanks for sharing this sane and sensible commentary by your 'neighbor' [Ms. Jess Piper] in Missouri! It is refreshing to read such."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are a brief comments from two more Thinking Friends.

    "People like Boyd want to make Jesus look one-dimensional, that is drawn inside the lines of their own prejudices. Sad." (Sue Wright, Liberty, Mo.)

    "Your assessment gibes with mine, Leroy. I listened to her speech about five minutes and gave up. She confirmed my prejudice toward Biden." (Glenn Hinson, Kentucky)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Leroy! Do not miss Saturday Night Live's hilarious rendition of this. They also skewer Biden, but somehow witnessing the comedic takedown of a smarmy deceiver is considerably more satisfying! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCfLpuLdF8Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding, Ron. It was good to hear from you again. Thanks, too, for the encouragement to watch SNL's "comedic takedown" of Sen. Britt. I had seen headlines about that, but I haven't seen it yet.

      I don't want this to seem critical of you, but I don't like for people to be made fun of, even if they are politicians I strongly disagree with. That is one reason I have never watched Saturday Night Live nor any of the late-night comedians who regularly make fun of politicians and other public people. (The other main reason is that I am an "early to bed, early to rise" type of person.)

      Back in 2017 I posted a blog article titled "Political Cartoons: Helpful or Harmful?" In it I expressed thoughts related to what I also think about TV programs such as those mentioned in the previous paragraph.
      https://theviewfromthisseat.blogspot.com/2017/06/political-cartoons-have-had-long-and.html

      I'd like to know more about what you (and other readers of this blog) think about this issue.

      Delete
  7. The most recent comments on this blog post were from Thinking Friend Jerry Jumper, a retired M.D. who lives in southwest Missouri:

    "I am so...frustrated? Disappointed? Angry almost of the political use of our Christian faith by some who show not one fruit of the Spirit. And spiritual gifts? Not apparent.

    I have learned recently from some dear Christian friends that their preferred ends justify the means. More worrisome, they say 'God sometimes uses bad people to accomplish good things,' which lets Trump and others off the hook, in their view."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jerry, for sharing comments about your frustration/disappointment. I'm sure that many of my other Thinking Friends share those same feelings, as do I.

      Delete
  8. I was confused by names, so I put off posting until I had time to investigate. It turns out that Katie BOYD Britt did indeed defeat Will BOYD to become Alabama Senator. So we have a Senator Britt, but a Senator Boyd exists only in sort of a quantum flux.

    Leroy, if you want to indulge in the guilty pleasure of late night TV, after the broadcast most of it is available any time on YouTube. Context means a lot, otherwise how would Christians affirm the guy who once said, "You fools and blind men!" (Matthew 23:17) Sometimes the court jester is the only one who can speak truth to power. "Indeed, it is easier for a camel to through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." (Luke 18:25)

    The title of this blog, "Tarnishing the Name of Jesus," echos the Ten Commandments. Jews resolved the specific commandment "Do not take the Lord's name in vain" by placing a taboo on using it at all. Christians take a more nuanced, and perhaps more dangerous take. We condemn using it in cursing, however we freely use it regular discussion. I would, however, add an additional category to condemn, which is the most literal form of taking it in vain, using it meaninglessly. For instance, placing "In God We Trust" on American currency. What, exactly, does that platitude mean? Or when a politician parades their piety before men, instead of discussing actual policy issues. Especially when Senator Britt does it in Fundie Baby Voice. I suspect this is why Jesus suggests we say our prayers in private. He wants adults to have adult-to-adult conversations. You can read about Fundie Baby Voice here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fundie-baby-voice_l_65eb6b2fe4b05ec1ccd9e9b9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw that Katie Boyd Britt had defeated Will Boyd for the Senate seat, I wondered if they were kin--and then I found out that he was African American, so I then wondered, but had no way to find out, if his family way back had been enslaved by the White Boyds of Alabama. -- Of course, there are many people named Boyd. You know the Boyds of 2BC here in Liberty, and when June and I moved to Liberty to start our third year of college at William Jewell, we rented an apartment from J. David Boyd, a Baptist preacher we knew.

      Yes, I know that you can find almost anything on YouTube, and June likes and has watched Trevor Noah some. But I haven't been drawn to watch those programs, although I think you make a good point about court jesters.

      I agree with the important point you made in your last paragraph. The link you give at the end is of the same Substack post that I referred to above. I wrote Ms. Piper and said that I was impressed that it was picked up by HuffPost. Then yesterday, her post was about how evangelical/fundamentalist Christianity caused her to be estranged from Christian churches, which she still misses. She is just one of so many "exvangelicals," as so many people are being called now. (Here is the link to Ms. Piper's 3/18 post:
      https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/if-im-asked-to-choose-between-donald )

      Delete
    2. Thanks for pointing out the common thread of Ms. Piper in both our links. I just read her 3/18 post, and it was as beautiful as it was painful. And she is writing from rural Missouri! And Dolly Parton is in trouble for giving away books to children! I believe we can not only say that Jesus wept, we can say that Jesus is still weeping.

      Delete
  9. I apologetically say with regret I saw neither the SOTU or the rebuttal. I got involved in something else and forgot until all was over. I have read enough about the rebuttal to wonder what were the Republicans thinking. Talk about disinformation! Now I am reading about Trump's "bloodbath" speech from both sides, both Gary Bauer and H. C. Richardson as well as various news outlets. Guess what? I still don't know the whole story. The one thing I haven't heard from the left is the possibility Trump was quoting a Chinese automaker who bragged they would ship enough electric vehicles into the US from Mexico to create a "bloodbath" in the US auto industry. I think I'll write Harry Truman's name in for US president.

    ReplyDelete