Thursday, August 24, 2023

“We” Most Probably Won’t Do It

For decades now, I have had high regard for Al Gore, who served as vice president of the U.S. from 1993 to 2001 and who barely lost the presidential election in 2000. Since then, Gore, who celebrated his 75th birthday earlier this year, has been known primarily as an environmentalist.
Logo of Climate Reality Project
(started by Gore in 2006, new name in 2011)

An Inconvenient Truth is the name of Al Gore’s film about his campaign to educate people about global warming. in July 2006, June and I went with friends here in Liberty to see that powerful new documentary, which includes Gore’s slide show about environmental issues.

The 2007 Nobel Peace Prize was shared by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and Gore “for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change.”

In January 2008 I had the privilege of hearing Gore speak (and show slides), and I was highly impressed with not only what he said (and showed) but with him as a genuine, insightful person. I thought again how it was such a shame that he didn’t become POTUS in 2001.

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power is Gore’s 2017 film documenting his ten years of effort to combat global warming after his first film that had garnered so much publicity. (I can’t explain why June and I hadn’t watched this until last week; it certainly was well worth watching.)**

The climax of this documentary is about the Paris Agreement reached at the 2015 U.N. Climate Change Conference (COP 21). On Earth Day (Apr. 22) 2016, 174 countries signed that agreement.

But Gore’s joyful hope soon turned to feelings of despair as the Trump administration announced in 2017 that the U.S. was withdrawing from the Agreement as soon as possible (in 2020).

The film, of course, doesn’t show how Pres. Biden announced on his first day in office that the U.S. was rejoining. Since then, Biden has continually pushed measures to counteract the steady and detrimental increase of global warming, in spite of constant opposition from the GOP.

But has he done enough? Perhaps he has done about as much as he could have done because of the climate change deniers, but no, he has not done nearly enough to stem the coming collapse.

Al Gore remains hopeful that “we” can solve the problem of climate change, etc. A 9/20/19 opinion piece in the New York Times is titled: “Al Gore: The Climate Crisis Is the Battle of Our Time, and We Can Win.”

Speaking at the Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs in Oct. 2021, Gore declared, “We have the solutions…. I have an enormous amount of hope about our future.”

Then last month, David Gelles published an article based on a recent interview with Gore. The NYTimes reporter stated that “the events of the past few weeks have Gore even more worried than usual.” Still, “Despite the apocalyptic weather news, Gore is also hopeful.”

Gore said in that interview, “The faster we stop burning fossil fuels and releasing other planet-warming emissions, the more quickly global temperatures can stabilize.” Further, “We know how to fix this…. We can stop the temperature going up worldwide…” (bolding added).

While these words are perhaps true, the sad fact is that in all likelihood, “we” won’t do it. All the books and films about global warming end with what we need to do. But in spite of some encouraging signs, we (meaning the vast majority of people on Earth) don’t seem to be making much progress.

Part of the Paris Agreement goal was the reduction of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere to no more than 350 ppm. In 2006 that figure was 380 and it had risen to 410 by 2017. But now in August 2023, it is 420, and it keeps going up, as is clearly seen in the following chart. 


I’m afraid the much-respected Mr. Gore is somewhat affected by “hopium” (holding on to false hopes that prevents us from accepting reality). “We” are most probably not going to prevent the coming collapse resulting from overshoot.

But we (you and I) can work to push the collapse further into the future.  

_____

** We watched this on Amazon Prime (at a nominal charge), and then discovered that the DVD was available at our local library. In addition to the two books published with the same titles as the two movies, and several earlier books, Gore is also the author of The Assault on Reason (2007, 2017), Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis (2009), and The Future: Six Drivers of Global Change (2013).

Note: The Buttry Center for Peace and Nonviolence at Central Seminary in Kansas is offering a five-part course titled “Creation Care in a Changing Climate: Doing Our Part to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions.” Please click here to learn more about this course, and if you would like to participate, you can register there. (Courses such as this can help with doing what I suggest in the last sentence of this article.)

12 comments:

  1. I trust people are reading and thinking about the heavy topic dealt with in this new blog post, but to this point I have received only one comment, and it is from a new local Thinking Friend:

    "Thanks, Leroy, fully onboard with this article and why we need climate and gun control to be the leading factor in choosing a candidate to lead us. Thanks for reminding us about the resources available to us."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those of you who might read this but are not on my Thinking Friends mailing list, in the email I sent this morning to those on that list, I mentioned the Republican presidential debate last night and how none of the eight seemed concerned about global warming and the need to take action against that threat to the nation (or about the need for greater gun control.)

      I am pleased to know that this new Thinking Friend is "onboard" with what I wrote in today's post, and I hope that he and all of you TFs who are also onboard will be able to help your friends and acquaintances learn more about the seriousness of the environmental predicament and engage in more deliberate actions to postpone the deadly effects of global warming.

      Delete
  2. Leroy, I am concerned, but not optimistic. It has been hot in
    DFW this summer, but not unprecedently hot. The high so far in Arlington this year has been 111 F I think. The highest temperature ever recorded in Arlington was 113 in 1980. The heat in DFW this summer has been uncomfortable, even depressingly so. But, to me, not alarming.What is alarming to me is the global rise in temperatures, the rise in temperatures of the ocean to levels never previously recorded. I take the statements of "higher than anytime in the last 140,000 yrs" cum grano salis, since we cannot measure with precision temperatures pre homo sapiens. I find the rise in ocean temperatures, which can be measured precisely, extremely alarming. I find the extremely rare incidence of tropical storm in Southern California extremely alarming. I find the wildfire at least partially climate induced in Maui (sp?) extremely alarming. I find the ostrich like political attitude extremely alarming. I could say with one of the ancient kings of Israel/Judah (I cannot recall which one), "Oh well, it won't happen to me" since I am almost 90 yrs old. But I will not. It is already happening to me, and to my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. It is already happening to God's creation, pronounced good, very good, by God's own self in the creation poem of Genesis 1:1-2:4a. I am concerned, very concerned, for Good Planet Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Charles, for your powerful comments. I much appreciate your deep concern for Planet Earth even though you, and I, won't be around for many more years. I am happy that you want to do what you can to care for God's creation for the sake of the coming generations. It is sad to think that our grandchildren and especially our great-grandchildren will most likely not live to be as old as you and I are now. There's not a lot we can do at our age, perhaps, except to keep speaking out and to keep encouraging other (younger) people to think/learn more about the ecological predicament and then to do more to delay the coming collapse, which will mean the end of the world as we know it.

      Delete
  3. This morning I received only one other email with comments about today's new blog article. It was from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky:

    "You know already, Leroy, that I’m closer to Gore than to you on climate change. but I agree with your conclusion. We must do everything possible to keep Republicans out of office and work like mad to end the use of fossil fuels worldwide!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In keeping with the email I sent to my Thinking Friends this morning and Dr. Hinson's comment above, here are words posted today by The Nation magazine in their article "The Scariest Lie at the GOP Debate Wasn't about Donald Trump": "The debate confirmed two things: that climate denial is thriving in the GOP, and that these candidates will do absolutely nothing to save the planet."
      See https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/gop-debate-recap-climate-change/

      Delete
  4. As it happens, I just this morning watched a TED talk from last month by Al Gore on the climate. You can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZC6da4mco

    Too bad big media, owned by big business, makes sure that voices such as Gore's are so rarely noticed. He is really throwing down the gauntlet in this one. His optimism, such as it is, seems to mostly come from his assumption that at some level people have a will to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Craig. I hadn't seen/heard the TED talk you linked to, but I plan to listen to it today. -- I am afraid that Gore's optimism is ill-founded, however. The "will to live" for most people seems to be primarily the will to live it up now as much as possible and not worry about protecting the environment for the future. It seems to me that most people enjoy their "creature comforts" so much, and the wealthy enjoy their profits so much, that the "sacrifices" necessary to stem global warming just won't be made in time to avert the coming crisis.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your powerful words, Leroy. I find myself regularly alarmed about our rapidly changing planet and share your lack of hope regarding human willingness to change. I marvel that the human species seems to so thoroughly lack foresight and fortitude.

    Do you happen to have resources regarding concrete actions we can take? I am aware of the more common-sense possibilities (avoiding air travel, reducing driving, avoiding over-consumption, choosing foods carefully, maintaining indoor air temperatures that minimize heating and cooling, ...). However, I recognize this is not enough. Thinking about the future becomes quite overwhelming, and I try to manage by focusing on actions I can take and working to model more responsible choices. If you or any of your readers have good resources for making better daily decisions, I would certainly welcome them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, thanks for your thoughtful comments; I was delighted to hear from you. You already are apparently aware of many of the practical things we can do to combat the environmental crisis. In addition to the important actions you mention, there are other suggestions in the following online article by the U.N. Environment Program:
      https://www.unep.org/news-and-stories/story/10-ways-you-can-help-fight-climate-crisis

      In addition, I think that one of the most important things we can do is to work for the election of the top government officials (President, governor, senators, and representatives) who are committed to working for protection of the environment. Wise legislation in this regard can do more than thousands of individual persons such as you and I could possibly do. I don't like to talk a lot about partisan politics, but it seems clear that the Democratic Party is far more supportive of legislation to combat global warming than the Republican Party is--and the GOP debate this week showed clearly the lack of concern by the Republican candidates, and we know what Trump's position was/is. Working for the election of political leaders who will strive to limit global warming is one of the most important things we individuals can do, it seems to me.

      Delete
    2. Jana, I read an opinion piece in the Washington Post this morning that I thought you (and other readers) would be interested in (see the link below). That article includes this assertion: "“The most important thing anybody can do is to vote for a climate-friendly government agenda."
      (Link to the WaPo article: https://wapo.st/3YX66Eg )

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Leroy! I had missed this article, and I'm grateful you brought it to my attention. I learned about some additional steps we can begin taking. I also appreciated your emphasis on election work. I certainly think carefully about the candidates for whom I vote and always support those who will most likely act for protecting the planet, but actively supporting candidates does not come naturally to me. Still, I believe this issue is vital to the survival of Earth and its inhabitants - definitely worth a little discomfort. I'll have to think about how I may go about this. Thanks again!

      Delete