Thursday, June 10, 2021

Thank God for Uncle Tom(s)!

It is probably apocryphal, but the story is told that when Pres. Lincoln met Harriet Beecher Stowe near the beginning of the Civil War, he declared, “So this is the little lady who started this great war.”

Think with me now about this “little lady,” who was born 210 years ago (on June 14, 1811), and about Uncle Tom, her best known character.

The Power of the Beecher Family

The Beecher family was highly prominent in the U.S. during the nineteenth century. Lyman Beecher (1775~1863) was one of the best-known preachers in the country, and eight years after his death the still extant Lyman Beecher Lectureship on Preaching at Yale Divinity School was established.

Henry Ward Beecher (1813~87), the eighth of Lyman’s thirteen children, also became one of the premier preachers of the 19th century. In fact, Debby Applegate’s Pulitzer Prize-winning biography of Henry is titled, The Most Famous Man in America (2006).

But neither her father nor her famous little brother exerted as much influence on American society as did Harriet Beecher (1811~96).

She married Lane Seminary professor Calvin Stowe in 1836, and because of one of the many books she authored, the name Harriet Beecher Stowe became a household name.

The Power of the Pen

“The pen is mightier than the sword” were words found in a 1839 play written by English author Edward Bulwer-Lytton, and those words have been used innumerable times since then.

There was a lot of might in Harriet Beecher’s pen as she wrote her powerful novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Before being issued as a complete book, it was published serially in National Era, an abolitionist newspaper published weekly from 1847 to 1860.  

The first chapter of what became the famous book of Harriet Beecher Stowe (HBS) was printed in National Era 170 years ago, on June 5, 1851. (Click here to read the first chapter of HBS’s story as printed in that issue.)

The entire book was published the following year and immediately became a bestseller. In fact, it became the best-selling novel and the second best-selling book of the 19th century, following the Bible.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin is credited with helping fuel the abolitionist cause in the 1850s, giving rise to the words attributed to Lincoln referring to HBS as the little lady who started the big war.

The Power of “Uncle Tom”

In HBS’s novel, Uncle Tom was a loyal Christian who died a martyr’s death. I read Uncle Tom’s Cabin about 25 years ago, and I remember how impressed I was with Uncle Tom. Indeed, his powerful personality as created by HBS helped forge the determination of many to rid the nation of slavery.

But sadly, Uncle Tom morphed first into a servile old man and then to a racial epithet hurled at African American men deemed, by other Black people, to have betrayed their race.

The story of that unfortunate transition is told by Canadian university professor Cheryl Thompson in her book, Uncle: Race, Nostalgia, and the Politics of Loyalty, published in March. She seeks to show how from martyr to insult, “Uncle Tom” has influenced two centuries of racial politics.

Black writers such as James Baldwin, among many others, came to use the name “Uncle Tom” to refer to Black men who were too submissive to Whites. Jackie Robinson, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Barack Obama have all been accused of being Uncle Toms.

What a shame that the name of the powerful Black man created by HBS was turned into a slur!

But just as the Uncle Tom of the “little lady’s” novel was an important instigator of freedom for Blacks in the 1850s, so have many men called Uncle Toms in modern times been powerful proponents for freedom and justice for all.

So, yes, thank God for Uncle Tom—and for Uncle Toms such as those noted above!


12 comments:

  1. Uncle Tom's Cabin was one of the most influential books on me that I've ever read. A good follow-up blog, Leroy, would be one on the Beecher Bible Rifle and the Beecher Bible and Rifle Church in Waubansee, Kansas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beecher_Bible_and_Rifle_Church

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Anton. As far as I can remember, my reading of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" about 25 years ago was the first time I read it. I don't know why I didn't read it when I was a young man.

      Thanks for telling me/us about the Beecher Bible and Rifle Church in Waubansee. I don't remember ever hearing of that church before--or of the village of Waubansee, which is just 10 miles or less north of I-70, which I have driven on, there, a number of times.

      I don't know that I will write a blog article about the Beecher Bible and Rifle Church, but I found the information about it quite interesting. In addition to the Wikipedia article, I found this information at the site given below:

      "In 1856 the population of [Wabaubsee] county was increased by the Beecher Bible and Rifle Company, a group of people from New Haven, Connecticut who organized for the purpose of coming to Kansas to aid in making it a Free State. The colonists were assisted in their plans by citizens of their native State and by Henry Ward Beecher and his church, which furnished 25 rifles at $25 each. Fifty-two rifles were bought for members not supplied, and when the colony left New Haven for Kansas on March 29th, 1856, every one of its 70 men were armed with a Sharpe’s rifle, a Bible, and hymn-book."
      https://legendsofkansas.com/wabaunsee-county-kansas/

      I wonder if they also brought copies of HBS's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" with them.

      Delete
  2. The only other comment I have received so far is a brief one from Thinking Friend Andrew Bolton in England:

    "Great blog, Leroy. Enjoyed the correction!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now this from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky:

    "Thanks for this reminder, Leroy. I think the use of 'Uncle Tom' today shows little acquaintance with the original character, one far removed from HBS’s intention."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are comments received this afternoon from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for your observations about Harriet Beecher Stowe. . . .

    "I am puzzled by those who denigrate Robinson, King, or Obama as 'too white.' King gave his life for the civil rights of people of color and Robinson endured considerable abuse for integrating major league baseball. They are (or were) all courageous heroes and played their hands as well as they could.

    "Your reference to Henry Ward Beecher reminds me of a limerick.

    "Once said a famous Presbyterian preacher,
    To a hen, 'You're a beautiful creature.'
    So in response to that,
    She laid an egg in his hat,
    And thus did the hen reward Beecher."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eric--and for amplifying my point about modern day "Uncle Toms."

      I enjoy limericks and have heard a good many, but I don't remember ever hearing the delightful one you shared. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Here's my review of Uncle Tom's Cabin written 13 years ago. When I started my review with, "This is a book everyone has heard of, but few have read," I was probably assuming other people were like me, and the only version I could recall reading as a young person was the Classic Comics edition. I just checked eBay and that comic book is now a collector's item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clif, for your comments and for linking to your good review of "Uncle Tom's Cabin." Importantly, you mentioned that HBS wrote the book partly (largely?) in response to the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850. That is an important fact that I did not mention in the article.

      Delete
  6. I too confess to reading the book Uncle Tom's Cabin in its entirety quite recently and quite late in my life. Two years ago. I had always assumed that it was a short story, sort of like a pamphlet. I was surprised and pleased to know that it is a novel with developed characters that also moves locations. I learned what it meant "to be sold South," something a slave never wanted. And after reading the book, I made a point to visit Whitney Plantation in Louisiana, a fairly recently opened plantation tour told from the standpoint of the slaves. It is possible that the hellhole of a plantation where Tom ends up was modeled on a plantation not far from Whitney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting comments, Lydia.

      As alluded to in the article, I was around 60 when I read "Uncle Tom's Cabin" for the first time--and I wondered then why I had not read it long before.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this blog post, Leroy. The novel and Harriet Beecher Stowe obviously made their mark, contributing to the abolition of slavery. Uncle Tom, I think, is the Christ-figure in the novel, bearing his cross/suffering, which leads to a better life for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Garth, for your comments. I agree that Uncle Tom in the novel is a Christ-figure, which makes it even more odious for his name being use in recent years as a slur.

      Delete