Monday, February 24, 2020

What to Give Up for Lent?

Just two days from now is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. This will be an important period for some of you, but others may know, or care, little about the observance of Lent as practiced by many Christians. Regardless, let's think a bit about Lent.
What is Lent?
As I wrote seven years ago (see here), like most of you who grew up as Baptists or other “low church” Protestants, I heard almost nothing about Lent as a boy and for a long time had no interest in observing Lent. Nevertheless, for many years now I have made some conscious effort to observe Lent and will again do so this year.
The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the Christian believer for the celebration of Easter. Linked to Jesus’ fasting in the desert for 40 days at the beginning of his public ministry, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts for 40 days, excluding Sundays.
Traditionally, Lent has been a time of token fasting in order to remember Jesus’ fasting in the desert and his suffering for the sins of humanity on the Cross.
When sincerely practiced, Lent can be a meaningful time for the practitioner.
Why Give Up Something for Lent?
The U.S. Roman Catholic Church’s “rules for fasting and abstinence [of certain foods]” state that everyone 14 years of age and older “must abstain from meat (and items made with meat)” on Ash Wednesday and all the Fridays of Lent.
Those who are not Catholics—or who are already vegetarians/vegans—often choose something else to abstain from during Lent as a reminder of Jesus and his sufferings.
For many years from the time I first started observing Lent, I gave up eating sweets as a reminder of Jesus each time I didn’t eat a dessert—but also because it was a way to lose weight, which I needed to do for many years. I have always had a “sweet tooth,” so not eating sweets actually was “giving up” something I much enjoyed.
Since Sundays are exempt from Lenten practices, whatever is given up can be enjoyed on Sundays, which are days of rejoicing, not fasting. Unfortunately, in some years I ate too many sweets on the Sundays during the Lenten season.
What to Give Up for Lent?
My 2/10/13 blog article was about giving up eating meat for Lent—and, in fact, I did quit eating meat during Lent that year—and have not eaten beef or pork since. But even though I am happy to no longer be eating red meat there is no compelling ethical reason for not doing so. (There are some legitimate related ethical concerns, however, but that is a subject for a later discussion.)
In recent years I have been somewhat bothered by what some people suggest might be given up for Lent. For example, earlier this month Country Living magazine suggested 20 things that might be given up for Lent—and #1 was gossip. Negativity, being late, and speeding were also on the list.
More disappointing is how Pope Francis has made questionable suggestions along this line. A Feb. 2015 Time magazine article is titled “Pope Francis’ Guide to Lent: What You Should Give Up This Year.” His main suggestion was that people give up indifference toward others.
I certainly agree that all of us should give up indifference toward others—as well as gossip, negativity, etc. But why just for Lent? Why imply that those attitudes/actions would be all right once Lent is over, or on Sundays during Lent?
There are some/many things that most of us need to give up, period—and during Lent would be an excellent time for doing that. There are other things that can be given up for Lent and then taken up again. I hope many of us can find meaningful ways to do both, for the benefit of ourselves and of others.

13 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't expect a lot of comments on today's new blog posting on a Monday morning, but it is interesting that the first three people who did email me brief comments are three of my oldest Thinking Friends, all men well into their 80s.

    The first to comment was Thinking Friend Temp Sparkman, who wrote, "The most radical Lenten deprivation for most of us would be not opening our 'devices.'”

    Less than an hour later I received these comments from Thinking Friend Glenn Hinson in Kentucky: "Provocative thoughts, Leroy. One suggestion I would add: Give up cell phone addiction. In airports and even in church you see heads bent over a cell phone, oblivious to everything happening around the user. This is surely adding to our sense of alienation from others."

    And then local Thinking Friend Bob Leeper wrote about never thinking much about Lent until after going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate these comments from these personal friends as well as Thinking Friends.

      I'm not sure giving up "devices" completely during Lent is necessary or particularly helpful--but certainly "addiction" is always something that needs to be given up--and not just for Lent, but maybe during Lent would be a good time to do that.

      I appreciate Bob mentioning Mardi Gras, for I guess the excesses of Mardi Gras in New Orleans, as well as "Carnival" in Brazil, just before Lent was one of the reasons I long did not find observing Lent particularly appealing.

      Delete
  2. Thinking Friend Virginia Belk in New Mexico was a one of June's and my classmates at William Jewell College. She comments (in part):

    "Thanks, Leroy for this thought provoking topic. When [I was a] practicing Episcopal Christian, I gave up sweetener in my coffee." But I "didn't indulge on Sundays, either. By the time Easter arrived, I no longer had a taste for sweetener in my coffee! Therefore, I wondered just how much I had really given up."

    Virginia also wrote, "I think I should concentrate on keeping some of my 2020 Resolutions as a Lenten giving up of laxness in strengthening good habits."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding, Virginia. It was good to hear from you again--and since so many of the responses I receive are from men I especially am glad to hear from women.

      I like your closing statement -- but, again, that is something good to give up during Lent, not just for Lent.

      Delete
  3. And then this from Thinking Friend Eric Dollard in Chicago:

    "Thanks, Leroy, for your comments about Lent.

    "I certainly agree that the suggestions by Country Living magazine or Pope Francis as to what to give up for Lent are things that should be given up permanently. Giving up something dietary can remind one of the purpose of Lent without returning to some sort of unethical practice after Easter."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Eric. I am sure the Pope didn't mean to imply that it is all right to return to some unethical practice after Easter. Nevertheless, because of the way giving up something for Lent has usually been explained or practiced, it could easily be interpreted in that way, I'm afraid. That is the reason I was bothered by his suggestion to give up indifference.

      Delete
  4. The Eastern Church (Orthodox and Oriental) have a much tighter observance of Great Lent (and also on a different calendar). Due to dietary restrictions, I would have to make a full fast of 40 days in order to follow their observance (this statement applies to me - not the Eastern Church). The liturgies during this time are quite impactful as one seeks to reorient life back to growing into the image of Christ and in loving service to others.

    Much like the western observance of St Patrick's Day in debauchery, so is "Fat Tuesday".

    Given Jesus' responses to the Devil, it seems that He must have spent His time meditating on the book of Deuteronomy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being raised a Baptist Lent was something the Catholics did. I was in seminary before I ever investigated Lent for myself. Over the years rather than give up something I try to find a good read on the passion (not the Gibson movie). Poems are the best. Or I will read something like the Way of the Heart by Nouwen. My goal is to live afresh either Christ's suffering or focus on the grace that lead Christ to die for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite Lent memory is from the late nineties when I gave up Sunday afternoons to lead a discussion at church of the then-new book "When We Talk about God . . . Let's Be Honest" by R. Kirby Godsey, then President of Mercer University. A sample quote, "Our culture of belief generates an ocean of bad religion where people are manipulated and abused in God's name." (Page 27) I hope that is not a quote I have used before, as I know I have used Godsey before on this blog.

    I picked that quote, because our culture sent me an email this afternoon from a local pizza buffet. The title of today's email is "Lent Buffet." The "Lent" part was that they were supplementing their very good fried chicken with breaded Pollock fillets on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent, and highlighted a couple of vegetarian pizzas. The email ended with a picture of Chocolate Cactus Bread dessert pizza. See, still no meat! I do not know what that says about the religious beliefs of the buffet's parent corporation, but think what it says about its opinion of the theology of its customers! You can get stuffed for Lent! (We went there for Valentine's Day. Perhaps we should go again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Craig.

      Here is the link to the Pizza Lent Buffet: https://www.facebook.com/PizzaRanchRestaurants/photos/many-of-our-locations-offer-a-lent-buffet-on-fridays-that-includes-a-pub-battere/10153873593239144/

      Delete
  7. A local Thinking Friend didn't think his comments were worth posting here, although I would have been glad to have done that. But at least I want to comment on one statement he made: "Some of us think the environmental crises commands compelling attention, and the production of protein through inefficient and gas-producing animal products is a serious moral question."

    This is in reference to my saying that "even though I am happy to no longer be eating red meat there is no compelling ethical reason for not doing so."

    I basically agree with my TF's statement, although my main concern for giving up eating red meat is more because of the problem of hunger that still exists in the world today rather than environmental concerns, although I acknowledge the latter also. I no longer eat red meat not because of personal health reasons nor because of sympathy for the animals but because it just seems to me that grain ought to be used to feed people rather than animals that are then eaten by people who can afford to buy that meat.

    And yes, I do think this is an ethical issue that needs to be discussed. But because I don't eat red meat, I am hesitant to charge all of my friends who do as being ethically deficient--just as because, for what I also consider ethical reasons, I don't drink alcoholic beverages I don't want to charge all of my friends who do as being ethically deficient. It takes grain to make alcoholic beverages just as it does most of the time now to produce beef or pork for the market. I think that grain needs to be used for food, not drink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday I received two similar comments from two local Thinking Friends (and personal friends).

    Bill Ryan wrote, "Along with giving up, one might also think of what to do. Several churches (main-line Protestant and Roman Catholic) begin Lent my observing Ash Wednesday in some symbolic or ritualistic way, focusing on a spiritual renewal among other things."

    And this from Bob Southard: "Thanks for sharing! As a fully indoctrinated Baptist I have had mixed feelings about a rules oriented approach to lent all my life. I settled on trying to add something instead of take away something… Examples might be to do random acts of kindness, do some extra studying, write some thank you notes for things that usually go unnoticed. Do things that tune up my actions and make me more fully conscious of the fruits of the spirit."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Day before yesterday I received the following comments from Thinking Friend Dan O'Reagan in Louisiana.

    "I pastored for 10+ years at the Gentilly Baptist Church in New Orleans, a SBC church by the seminary. Lent began at midnight on Mardi Gras, French for
    Fat Tuesday. The idea there was to act like you were not a Christian on Mardi Gras, then go to midnight mass, begin to try to be a Christian all over again at midnight then Ash Wednesday began, and you got some ashes smeared on your forehead, and you are off to the races, giving up chocolate cake or something of a sacrifice for Lent, of course, part of a merit-based system of salvation.

    "I used to preach a sermon on Mardi Gras entitled, "One More Night With The Frogs." It was based on Pharaoh's words to Moses, when Pharaoh asked Moses to take away the frogs. When Moses asked, "When," you would have thought that Pharaoh would have said, "Immediately, if not sooner." Instead, Pharaoh said, 'Tomorrow.' He wanted one more night with the frogs. New Orleanians want one more night of sin, so they could start living like a Christian on Ash Wednesday. There was very little Christian about a bunch of drunks going to church at midnight on Mardi Gras and getting some ashes put on their foreheads to show that they were Christians."

    ReplyDelete